While I wait

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

greg_slith

While I wait

Post by greg_slith »

Since I can't wait for this game to be released[:(] and the weather is getting frightful I've reloaded my old edition of BTR to get some practice in. This has lead me to ask a few questions:

1) I seem to do crappy with the Avalanche part of the game. Do people have any advice on what a good strategy here would be?

2) Is there a way to forcast the weather, ie if it's cloudy of England in the A.M. will I be able to fly missions in the P.M.?

2a) I would like a "repeat" function on raid planning. By this I mean if I've spent two hours planning raids throughout Europe and find that 80% are washed out it sure would be nice to be able to hit a "repeat" button the next day and have those raids rescheduled[&o][&o][&o]

3) How does the Night Intruder/Fighter Sweep missions work... sometimes my a/c will loiter over an airfield and sometimes they will strafe it. I prefer the straffing missions but don't seem to be able to consistantly get them[:@]

4) Lastly, how about some general tips/strategies for the Allied player?

Please release the new version before Christmas[&o][&o][&o] I have two weeks off and I'd rather bomb Nazis than shovel snow[:D]
Hard Sarge

RE: While I wait

Post by Hard Sarge »

ORIGINAL: ecwgcx

Since I can't wait for this game to be released[:(] and the weather is getting frightful I've reloaded my old edition of BTR to get some practice in. This has lead me to ask a few questions:

1) I seem to do crappy with the Avalanche part of the game. Do people have any advice on what a good strategy here would be?

one hassle with this part, is the way the scoreing was done, and some of the targets that were part of the targetlist, were not being recorded as being damaged, that has been corrected, and Avalache and Overlord should be easier to control

2) Is there a way to forcast the weather, ie if it's cloudy of England in the A.M. will I be able to fly missions in the P.M.?

No, you can have good up north and bad down south and the other way around or good and good or bad and bad, the hassle being, that is the way it was, and over all, the weather should be close to the same for the day, with in reason, you can try to "judge" how the cloud layer is, but it it HARD to do

2a) I would like a "repeat" function on raid planning. By this I mean if I've spent two hours planning raids throughout Europe and find that 80% are washed out it sure would be nice to be able to hit a "repeat" button the next day and have those raids rescheduled[&o][&o][&o]

that is on the Wish list, and we have a couple of different ideas on it, but, that comes after everything else we are working on, would like to see something like this, but can not say if we can or cannot do it

3) How does the Night Intruder/Fighter Sweep missions work... sometimes my a/c will loiter over an airfield and sometimes they will strafe it. I prefer the straffing missions but don't seem to be able to consistantly get them[:@]

if I understand the question right, I would say that is based on the plane type, the NF types would loiter, the Mossi FB that could fly during the day or at night, would do the Strafe

Tips are easy "), only need more info on what you are trying to do, or need ideas about

Please release the new version before Christmas[&o][&o][&o] I have two weeks off and I'd rather bomb Nazis than shovel snow[:D]

greg_slith

Post by greg_slith »

Tips are easy "), only need more info on what you are trying to do, or need ideas about

How about... How do I win?[:D]   Should I focus on one industry over all others, which one?  What are some good tactics for Bomber Command?

Fighter sweeps don't seem too effective-what are the best ways to employ them?

if I understand the question right, I would say that is based on the plane type, the NF types would loiter, the Mossi FB that could fly during the day or at night, would do the Strafe

If I send 1 NF to an airfield it will loiter that field but strafe airfields along it's flight path.  If I send multiple NF's they will fly straight to the target, maybe strafe, and immediately return to base, sometimes straffing along the way.  I want them to strafe more often[:'(]
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

okay on the NF first

if you send a multi mission (more then one) that is a stream, and it will fly to the target and then return, a single plane will loiter

I still think it is the FB model that will stafe on the path

one thing that is good with the stream is it will attack planes in the air (within reason) or landing along the path, if the timeing is good

Targets are still based on your playstyle

two of the best are power and Fuel/Oil, the trouble is, it is a HARD target to knock out early on, and by the time you can knock them down, you are pretty close to the end anyway

Alum, BB, Chem, Rubber are all good, AFAC and or EFAC are good (over all, I would say go for one or the other, you need both for them to work, but it is easier to make a bottleneck if you only work on one) (CFAC, I only go for them for the points or if in the area as a 2ndary target, as most times, there is going to be more parts then are needed)

but got to say, it may be a bit HARDer now to try and take out just one area, we getting some good target areas added in

but

one of my main goals, is to defeat the LW, and I pick targets to try and bring up the LW to fight, you defeat them, then you can pick targets at will, but the game is set up to really make this HARD (and I am helping this too)

find a area, work it over, overwelm it, own it, and pound it :)

what side of BC do you need help with ?

I like to send out small raids, decoys and more decoys, and then major raids, at times, it is better to send out 3 smaller raids to a major target, then one large raid, also you can try and work with the creepback effect

watch out if you want to bomb two targets that are kind of close to each other, the bombers will see the fire from one target and shift to that, instead of there target

Intruders, Elint, Wellingtons and Mossies are good for decoys and to keep the NJGs guessing and tired

when the Jammers come in, they are great

if used right, they can block out the radar all the way to the target (with FBs during the day working on the radar sites closer in)

wernerpruckner

Post by wernerpruckner »

I still like my main tactic - RR, oil/fuel targets and A/Fs

if you play in a brutal way and ignore losses ( the Allied can take a lot of losses ) you can bring the TERROR score up to 25 - 30 at the end of 1943 ( at the same time ID is for me usually around 10 and AS around 3 to 4 against human players )
In the first few months of 44 you get enough air strength to keep the pressure up for several turns - now you can take out the main supply hubs ( large RRs with OILS nearby )and at the same time use your tactical forces to keep the enemy busy ( Hit the A/Fs with raids and sweeps around the clock - okay huge losses for the Allied, but with that many reserve A/C it is usually no problem).

The reason for doing this is that the Axis player now often uses a lot of fuel for defending the sites, but he will nearly never get the full load of fuel for any sites ( in one PBEM I was able to create such a shortage of fuel that the Axis player only got 25 to 45 fuel points for any group in large areas of Germany )
greg_slith

Post by greg_slith »

That sounds workable[;)] As far as Bomber Command goes are they effective vs anything other than area targets ie industry or airfields?

Thank You Matrix for bringing this game back, it's coming at the right time now that I've finished WitP[:)]
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

BC can be used for any target, but, at times, to hit factorys it is better to try the creepback idea

but low level night raids may have a chance

but alot of times, in PBEM games, they set up house rules to avoid this kind of play

if you are going to send them out for other then Area Targets, I would say to keep the raids small, they don't stay on target much, and will start bombing half of Germany

HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

I use BC on factories inside big cities, that way, if you hit the target, good, otherwise you still get terror, and it stops the deminishing returns if you have already flattened the centre of a city. Berlin is a classic case, where you bomb all over the city to keep hitting new squares, and will also occasionally get the factory you aim at as well.

I personally have no issue with BC bombing low - they get tired, have losses, and you can get them in flak traps. BC is quite a fragile force, the allies cannot afford sustained heavy losses, and still expect to covert to a fully Lanc/Hali force reasonably quickly. If an allied player wants to fly low and bomb well, they pay. I cannot remember the figures exactly, but sustained losses of say 10 Lanc/Hali per day (combined) will reduce BC in a few months to a shadow.8th AF can take 2 or 3 times that rate.
I have a cunning plan, My Lord

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”