Wish List

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

histgamer

RE: Wish List

Post by histgamer »

Keeping track of troops that were captured (if possible) and possibly prisoner exchanges?
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Post by AU Tiger_MatrixForum »

Don't know if it possible already, but I would like to be able to substitute MP3's into the music library. Bobby Horton's music would be perfect background for the game.
"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: AU Tiger

Don't know if it possible already, but I would like to be able to substitute MP3's into the music library. Bobby Horton's music would be perfect background for the game.

I don't know how to do this, but people playing "Crown of Glory" had the same desire, so somewhere in that forum there's an explanation of what to do. Or, you can wait until Eric gets to this thread.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Post by AU Tiger_MatrixForum »

Thanks. I will look at the CoG threads.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Improved PBEM after battle reports?

I have still to get FOF (roll on Christmas!) but from following the AARs I would endorse the requests for improved PBEM after battle reports. Eg accurate details of own forces engaged and of the enemy - a good approximation of total numbers involved (within 10% below or 20% higher), the names/titles of the army(ies), corps faced and approximate total number of enemy brigades faced (within 10% below or 20% higher)and perhaps the names of some of the enemy commanders (50%?). Also no numbers but just a list of enemy weapons encountered. This would better reflect the reality of information gained from actual battle experience.

slybelle

Post by slybelle »

Add game option to allow only instant battles. Currently only options for quick or detailed. I personally prefer just instant battles so would be great if we could have an option for it.

It would also be nice to have the popup come up and say the results of the battle right after the battle during instant battles, versus having to wait for the end of turn report.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Thanks for some very good suggestions so far.

I'm not sure if it's necessary to state this, but we're definitely paying attention to these, even if I/we do not respond to each particular one. Keep 'em coming.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

I had something strange happening in my first (basic) game as the Union. A CSA unit entered East Ohio River at the same time as my division. I hugely outnumbered and routed them. The enemy unit got pushed to Parkersburg, where he got routed again...to East Ohio River, where he got routed again...to Parkersburg, where...I guess you know the story. This didn't happen indefinately, only about seven times, but this behavior is highly annoying. There should be a check to stop this game of "Fleeing Army" pingpong. Actually, I know that a good solution is not that easy: one just can't destroy the fleeing army, otherwise a huge army could be destroyed by a 50 men unit once one the run. Either the check is more sophisticated, or a fleeing army doesn't give battle more than twice: the real battle and a retreat battle.

Attachments
screenshot_fof.jpg
screenshot_fof.jpg (24.89 KiB) Viewed 186 times
bountyhunter

Post by bountyhunter »

Maybe add the option to attempt to purchase European warships (frigate, ironclad). In that the only cost to the player would be possibly for the vessel and the weapons (and not for labor, etc.). Obviously this was attempted by the South on numerous occassions with only a few successful purchases - but the potential was enormous - and what I can see so far is if there was historical potential most people seem to be able to accept the potential being represented in the game.
Williamb

Post by Williamb »

Id like to suggest some kind of editor that would allow us to create scenarios or campaigns. I for one wouldnt mind doing a mod that allows a different setup than any of the prepackaged ones that come with the game.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.
Thanks for some very good suggestions so far.

I'm not sure if it's necessary to state this, but we're definitely paying attention to these, even if I/we do not respond to each particular one. Keep 'em coming.

Gil is right. Even if there are suggestions that are too ambitious for us to work them into FOF, we might use them in future sequels. There were many COG suggestions that we used when modifying the engine for FOF.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: AU Tiger

It's possible to substitute music. Go in the Music subdirectory. Replace msc###.wmv files with files that you prefer, for strategic music; replace hw###.wmv files to replace detailed combat music. Unfortunately you can't replace music beyond the numbers used in the files. So the "msc" files run from 1 to 32; adding an msc33.wmv file wouldn't do anything.

ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: ElGuapo

How about allowing Armies to assault forts or at least enter the same provinces of forts. It's a bit strange when your army can't even enter a province because there is a fort there. I can't imagine not being able to enter Annapolis just because it has some forts inside it! Entering a territory should not be considered the same as taking the territory over! At least give attackers the option of assaulting forts.

Forts don't prevent units from entering a province, so the move may have failed for another reason (winter?). Forts do prevent units from moving from the fort territory into another enemy territory.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: briny_norman
Perhaps the unit 'jumping' could be a little less random and based on your army organisation - next unit is always from the same division etc... That would also encourage realistic battlefield manouvering, ie. keeping divisions together etc...
And maybe you could make so the you don't jump to the next unit before the animations of the current unit has been played through...

It should be the case that units in the same military group (directly attached...) move on the same initiative segment. This way military groups can move together.
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

How about implementing a feature that tells you the outcome of a battle immediately after you choose "instant battle" instead of having to wait until the whole turn is over and sorting through the end report?
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

Bounty I agreed or suggested that idea though you would need alot better relations with europe or the UK or w/e to get ships than rifles. (ie as the war progressed the UK refused to make more ships for the south, also they didnt make frigates only raiders, i suggested that raiders be added to the game with the idea of them performing like partisans on land though they can only destroy not capture.
bountyhunter

Post by bountyhunter »

Well a few "ocean going ironclads" which would be closer to a frigate... were laid down - the Laird Rams and the Stonewall for example , but they were seized/didn't arrive in time which leads me back to the potential argument.
Sytass

Post by Sytass »

Currently I only have one wish:
Allow 1280x1024 screen resolution for us TFT users out there. It would also have the advantage of letting you see a bigge part of the map. :)
One Strikeout is a Tragedy, a Million Strikeouts are a Statistic.
- Stallin' Joe Dshugashvili, Manager of the Moscow Red Stars, 1922 - 1953
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Flags:

I love them! Great eye candy. Could the flag lists be sorted alphabetically? Not a big deal as the lists aren't that long but it would make finding a praticular flag easier.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

The one of the reports lists which regiments gets new weapons, for example. This report lists BOTH sides, I don't think that this is appropriate. Maybe reports about the oponent should be moved to the rumor page and randomized.

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”