BBC Radio Play about Kappler, Hugh O'Flaherty, & Kesselring

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

martxyz

BBC Radio Play about Kappler, Hugh O'Flaherty, & Kesselring

Post by martxyz »

This is a post about a BBC Radio Play concerning Herbert Kappler/Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty (& Albert Kesselring)

I wasn’t too sure where to post this, but I hope it'll be of interest. I have just listened to a play, on BBC Radio 4. It’s
described by the BBC as:
----------------------------------------------

Thursday 30 November (2.15 pm)

The Scarlet Pimpernel of the Vatican

By Robin Glendinning

A remarkable post-war friendship developed between Nazi war criminal Herbert Kappler and Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty, a Vatican priest whom Kappler had so often tried to assassinate during the war.

Producer/director Gemma McMullan

------------------------------

The play, which is 45 minutes long, has only two characters in it. It reveals, among a very intense series of interchanges between Kappler and O’Flaherty, Kappler’s disgust that Kesselring had, by virtue of “friends in high places”, been released, re-invented himself, and then re-invented the truth in his memoirs. Kappler’s own story is a far more complex one. I won’t mention any other aspects of the play, partly as I don’t know enough about the subject matter, but I would also not wish to spoil it for anyone else. It is, though, not a “history” of Kappler. The play ends at a very specific point in time. It was a slightly unnerving listen. I would highly recommend it.

The BBC make ALL their programs available on the web for a week. You can listen to the play for the next week, simply by going to

www.bbc.co.uk and following the “Listen Again” links.

Or go to

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/afternoon_play.shtml and following the links to “Listen Again”.

The BBC has dedicated Radio Player for this type of program, but there are numerous utilities which allow you to record web audio to your hard drive, if you wanted to keep a copy after you’d heard it.

I can only repeat that it’s only available for the next 7 days, whenever you choose, and it’s a bloody good listen. Give it a try.

Return to “General Discussion”