Just finished my first game

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

diesel7013

Just finished my first game

Post by diesel7013 »

Well, after a long hard-fought game, the South won it's independence from the oppressionist federal government of Lincoln. Then, Texas decided that we didn't want to be part of the South anymore so we secceeded from the South - ( which for some reason Jeff Davis didn't feel that we had the right to do?? )

We conquered all of Northern Mexico and all the way west to South California. Texas brigades set up shop in the mountains of SoCal...

Then, deciding that there was nothing else worth doing, we waited until 1941 and modded over to WitP and defeated Japan in only 9 turns ( the Japs being it awe of the marital prowess of us Texans ) -

A nice ground battle was played out using the Cross of Iron engine ( beta only ) to resolve a small company/battalion level skirmish on Guam...

Then, Turtledove decided to write ANOTHER book about the South and alternate history and now TOAWIII is being used to simulate a divisional level engagement between the empire of Texas and the old South. The ole US is actually siding with us Texans on this one and launched a nich amphib attack on Florida using 3 brown rectangles with "X's" in them...

Since then we've been playing several nice games of the American pastime with the Texas Rangers winning the last 11 world series, but only after playing on the easyiest level allowing much unfair trading...

We few, We happy few, We band of brothers
SlapBone

RE: Just finished my first game

Post by SlapBone »

ORIGINAL: diesel7013

Texas decided that we didn't want to be part of the South anymore so we secceeded from the South - ( which for some reason Jeff Davis didn't feel that we had the right to do?? )

I know you are joking, but when Texas was voting on secession, Sam Houston himself urged them to, once again, become an independent Rebublic rather than join the CSA.
Curious

Post by Curious »

That Sam was quite a rascal. Apparently he didn't hold Jefferson D. is very high esteem. Sam was removed from office because he didn't go along with Mr. Davis or the CSA and then Mr. Davis and the CSA were "removed from office" by the U.S.A. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. Too bad Sam didn't stick around to see Texas whip the Japanese in 9 easy turns -- and then go on to do whatever it was that they did.

CB
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hilarious! [:D]
JWW

Post by JWW »

Then, deciding that there was nothing else worth doing, we waited until 1941 and modded over to WitP and defeated Japan in only 9 turns ( the Japs being it awe of the marital prowess of us Texans ) -

What is this about the marital prowess of Texas, and how is it depicted in the game? [;)]
Temple

Post by Temple »

I finished my first Basic level game. As the Union I lost at the Tutorial difficulty [8|] when by the time of the 1864 election I hadn't done squat to beat the rebs. Well, I held Richmond, but I had gotten my ass kicked by his main army and never recovered from that.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Curious

That Sam was quite a rascal. Apparently he didn't hold Jefferson D. is very high esteem. Sam was removed from office because he didn't go along with Mr. Davis or the CSA and then Mr. Davis and the CSA were "removed from office" by the U.S.A. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. Too bad Sam didn't stick around to see Texas whip the Japanese in 9 easy turns -- and then go on to do whatever it was that they did.

CB
Sam refused to sign the loyalty oath and so was removed as Governor. Ya know for a State all set to protest States right and the right to leave the Union, one could wonder why they NEEDED a loyalty Oath.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Guz

Post by Guz »

And Rangers finish in last place yet again. reality sucks unless you're an Angel fan! :P
The Guz
Jonathan Palfrey

Post by Jonathan Palfrey »

ORIGINAL: JW

What is this about the marital prowess of Texas, and how is it depicted in the game? [;)]

I thought it was the Mormons who had the marital prowess. [:)]
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Post by AU Tiger_MatrixForum »

ORIGINAL: JW

AndAnd

The alleged martial prowess of the Texans was because they had Georgians in Hood's division. (My great-great-granddad for one...)[:D]

A: William Cline - my great-great grandfather. Served in the ANV from the Seven Days to Appomattox Courthouse.

B: James Cline - my great-great uncle. Mustered out in Dec. '62 from injuries suffered in a train accident.

Both were : H Co., 17th Georgia.

And both lived to ripe old ages.

My grandmother remembers them (vaguely) to this day.....

Attachments
Photo_113006_002.jpg
Photo_113006_002.jpg (29.12 KiB) Viewed 105 times
"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

Alleged my a** ([;)]) if you can survive Comanches and the hard scrabble life of 1840/1850 Texas you dont need no Georgians to lick a few Yanks! [:D]

I remember on one of my forays out through West Texas I was going thru the Davis Mts in not far from the UT McDonald Observatory and I passed the remains of and old adobe house with a historical marker so's I stop and read up...........seems as though this house was the ranch house of a Tex/Mex settler named Vega (if memory is correct) who lived there for about 3 years from 1851 till 1854 when he got tired of battling the Comanches and said Asta la Vista baby and let em have it!!! [;)] On another interesting note in the last round of statewide elections there was a Quanah Parker IV who ran for a County Judge seat in Comanche County Texas ( SW of D-FW).
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

diesel7013

Post by diesel7013 »

ORIGINAL: Guz

And Rangers finish in last place yet again. reality sucks unless you're an Angel fan! :P

Heck, in my world - Witt found his control in '88 and Guzman and Correa never got hurt, Sierra never bulked up, Palmiero stayed as did Brown, Rogers, Stanley, and Franco and we won 4 WS in the 90's when Gozno and Pudge joined the gang...

And just today we traded some AAA pitchers for Ramierez to be our DH...

1. Cat
2. Young
3. Tex
4. Ramierez
5. Blaylock
6. Wilkerson
7. Cruz
8. Laird
9. Kinsler

Rotation of

1. Millwook
2. Zito
3. Garland ( traded Volquez and Otsuka for him )
4. Padilla
5. Tejada

Pen

1. Francisco
2. Littlefiled
3. Mahay

Hey, it's my world and I'm sticking to it! [:D][:D][:D]

AND WE FINISHED 3rd LAST YEAR, NOT LAST!

We few, We happy few, We band of brothers
Curious

Post by Curious »

And, to think, there are some (obviously ill-informed) people who say that computer wargames aren't what they used to be -- silly people.  With a pen like the Rangers have there's no way that the good ol' CSA can lose.  With Francisco, Littlefield, Mahay, and Bobby Lee it's in the bag.

CB

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”