PBEM AAR - Long Live the Union!

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

elmo3

RE: Early November 1862

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: jchastain

...Since he has a very light force, I'll try sending my divisions from Keyes' army separately...

What happens to the Army container if you do that? Seems like splitting up your forces effectively disbands the Army so do you lose the container?
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

ORIGINAL: jchastain

...Since he has a very light force, I'll try sending my divisions from Keyes' army separately...

What happens to the Army container if you do that? Seems like splitting up your forces effectively disbands the Army so do you lose the container?

In a word, no.

You can completely empty the container and it stays intact - UNLESS it comes into contact with an enemy unit. An empty container is destroyed by enemy contact. So I could have emptyied it entirely and left it there, but I didn't - no need subjecting myself to that risk. I actually left some troops within the army. That way, it could defeat any light units that just wandered in looking to convert an empty province or, if a real force came in, I could retreat to safety and keep the army.
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

What about naval combat? What 12 ships did you loose? Is there a naval forces screen?

I was actually in a hurry and didn't do anything with the Navy that turn. In the subsequent turn (which I took last night but haven't yet posted), I went ahead and got the Navy active again. I wish I hadn't skipped the Navy that first turn... but you'll see what's afoot after dinner when I get the latest turn posted.
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

The sieges continue. We're finally making progress in Jackson. Perhaps 2 more turns?

Attachments
01events1.jpg
01events1.jpg (146.38 KiB) Viewed 94 times
jchastain

Late December 1862

Post by jchastain »

He came after me in Bowling Green? I really wasn't expecting any offensive by him through the winter. It was quite a fight and it looks like we held!

I also was able to chase him out of Hatchie, so my supply lines are again secure. [Note - a change was made during the beta so that supplies could not be traced through a province in unrest. The latest versions though are not compatible with our ongoing AAR game so supply will flow through those recently conquered provinces in our game. But be aware, in the future you won't be so lucky).

Attachments
02events2.jpg
02events2.jpg (144.39 KiB) Viewed 94 times
jchastain

RE: Late December 1862

Post by jchastain »

And...

Attachments
03events3.jpg
03events3.jpg (153.07 KiB) Viewed 95 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

I took considerably more casualties in Bowling Green, but held. Looks like I picked up a Lorenz off of him.

Attachments
04battle.jpg
04battle.jpg (134.49 KiB) Viewed 95 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

I'll leave a division in Hatchie to guard it after finally retaking it. I am worried about AP Hill sitting so close to Jackson though just as we're making progress there. I'll try and send all of the various divisions from Keyes' army there to reinforce against a potential attack. I assume at least one won't make it which will leave a garrison force in Yazoo to prevent the light division in Aberdeen from cutting me off again.

Attachments
06jackson.jpg
06jackson.jpg (184.94 KiB) Viewed 95 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

Up north in Bowling Green, I'll just sit still for now, rest, and take on replacements. Thomas commands the division remaining in Hatchie.

Attachments
07nashville.jpg
07nashville.jpg (183.81 KiB) Viewed 95 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

We'll get one more mint and one more camp under construction.

Attachments
08mintsandcamp.jpg
08mintsandcamp.jpg (162.3 KiB) Viewed 95 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

Ooops. It appears I didn't get a screen cap of the Naval movements. I'll do that next turn. At the end of this turn, there is one more advancement - we'll up gun production. The big cannons I am giving to artillery, siege artillery, and now navies all require a lot of the "guns" resource.

That's it. Sorry so rushed yet again.

Attachments
09advance.jpg
09advance.jpg (134.32 KiB) Viewed 94 times
jchastain

Early January 1863

Post by jchastain »

The following is slightly dated, but things have been really busy here. The good news is that many likely have the game now so I'm betting you've not been bored.

The events report... sieges continue...

Attachments
01events1.jpg
01events1.jpg (139.01 KiB) Viewed 94 times
jchastain

RE: Early January 1863

Post by jchastain »

Looks like they bested my Navy yet again. I really need to deal with that.

Aw crud. I've been kicked out of Jackson just as I was getting close. And I lost over 20,000 troops. Apparently my reinforcements didn't make it. OK, this is a real good lesson for everyone (myself included) as to why it is important to build up siege capability before launching massive attacks. I've pretty much accomplished nothing now except to kill my national will.

Some of my mints and a camp are coming online. And Sherman, W.T. is now available. I might be able to use him.

Attachments
02events2.jpg
02events2.jpg (142.04 KiB) Viewed 94 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

And diplomacy continues to bobble.

Attachments
03events3.jpg
03events3.jpg (157.29 KiB) Viewed 94 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

Let's take a look at the battle reports. Jackson is the obvious big one. the weapons lost are not significant. It was the slaughter that really hurts - that and losing it right before we complete the siege.

Attachments
04battle.jpg
04battle.jpg (144.48 KiB) Viewed 94 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

At least we got a few experience points. Guess that was a real good lesson in how to get my butt kicked.

Attachments
05battle2.jpg
05battle2.jpg (109.48 KiB) Viewed 94 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

Looking out west, Hill took Jackson just as I feared he would. And I now have a mess of loose divisions in Yazoo. I'll combine Keyes' army back together and get them ready for a fight.

Attachments
06west.jpg
06west.jpg (193.31 KiB) Viewed 94 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

Up above, nothing of real interest happened.

Attachments
07northwest.jpg
07northwest.jpg (183.73 KiB) Viewed 94 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

A quick shot of the phony war. I really should just post the same picture as last time and see if anyone notices. But since I took the time to do a screen cap...

Attachments
08east.jpg
08east.jpg (186.76 KiB) Viewed 94 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

Here's the Navy that really needs to go settle a score. First things first, let's upgrade some weapons. I can't do them all, but a few fleets is better than none. With any luck, he hasn't been wasting his resources on upgrading his nascent Navy.

Attachments
09navy.jpg
09navy.jpg (129.35 KiB) Viewed 94 times

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”