AI for MWiF - France

A forum for the discussion of the World in Flames AI Opponent.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Froonp

RE: AI for MWiF - France

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: Graf Zeppelin

Yes but you still get the pacific on 4+ and Africa on 5+, so in my opinion its worth it.
The threat of having no Free French is too high for me, just to get a couple of not bad BB.
I'd prefer to save the cruiser fleet, especially the Algeria, but I suppose that is a matter of taste.

Anyway, that little discussions shows us that the level of risk / reward acceptance is variable from people to people, and it would be good if the AI had that kind of variable feature.

You could play a reckless AI, or a conservative AI. Opinions ?
bredsjomagnus

Post by bredsjomagnus »

Yes that would be nice. It´s quite boring when you after a while can predict what the AI is going to do next. Maybe therefore it could be a reckless or conservative (or other different "personalities") AI by random?
Norden_slith

Post by Norden_slith »

ORIGINAL: bredsjomagnus

Yes that would be nice. It´s quite boring when you after a while can predict what the AI is going to do next. Maybe therefore it could be a reckless or conservative (or other different "personalities") AI by random?

Agreed.
Even more appealing the chance to actually change personality (certain circumstances?) during the game. That way, predictablility is low. Of course, and thats probably the crux, the whole thing shouldnt look like a madman, so there would have to be restrictions here too.Ex.switching to recklessness when the "writing is on the wall". Perhaps the navy could even have "a life of her own", giving her a different pattern compared to the groundforces, as the navy is much more free to go out and play.

Norden
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hexagonally challenged
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I have made my first pass at the strategic plan for France. There are some holes and, as always, I solicit your comments.

These are strategic decisions and I expect operational and tactical decisions to be determined separately. For example, since the defense of Metropolitan France is a strategic objective (as determined by the choice of vicotry cities and important hexes), then operationally, all the useful units in remote locations will be brought back to France (the lone exception is Algiers). Likewise, attacking a weak German defensive line along the Rhine (or in Italy) will depend upon many local factors, but be within the guiding principle of strategic defense.

Let me know what you think.

=============
Strategic Plan for France
(as of November 27, 2006)

Grand Strategist (GS) Decision Making

1.1 Develop and implement long-term strategic plan; (4 St)
(1) Which victory cities, and other important hexes, should be taken and/or defended?
Defense
Victory Cities: Paris, Marseilles, Antwerp (when Belgium becomes Allied), Amsterdam (when The Netherlands becomes Allied)
Important Hexes: Maginot line hexes, Metropolitan France factory and resource hexes, Metropolitan France cities and ports, Alpine passes to Italy. Algiers. Pyrenees passes to Spain (when war exists with Spain). Belgian and Dutch factory and resource hexes (when they become Allied).
Offense
Victory Cities: Milan and Rome (when war exists with Italy), Munich, Kiel, Berlin, Prague, and Vienna (when war exists with Germany). Madrid (when war exists with Spain).
Important Hexes: Enemy factory and resource hexes, enemy cities and ports, Alpine passes in Italy (when war exists with Italy). Pyrenees passes in Spain (when war exists with Spain).

(2) On which major powers should France declare war, when, and any associated conditions concerning same?
Italy: When CW declares war on Italy.

(3) On which minor countries should France declare war, when, and any associated conditions concerning same?
None

(4) Which minor countries should France align, when, and any associated conditions concerning same?
None

(5) Where are the expected areas of conflict, with whom, and what type of combat (land, naval, air, and/or convoys)?
Defense
French border with Germany and Belgium - German land attacks
French border with Italy - Italian land attacks (when war exists with Italy).
French border with Spain - Spanish land attacks (when war exists with Spain).
French factories - German strategic bombing, Italian strategic bombing (when war exists with Italy).
Mediterranean coastline - Italian invasion
North Sea coastline - German invasion
North Sea - naval surface fleet combat with Germany
Bay of Biscay coastline - German and/or Italian invasion
Western Med, Italian Coast, and Eastern Med. - naval surface fleet combat with Italy, defend French/CW convoys.
Offense
German factories and oil resource(s) - land attacks and strategic bombing
Italian factories - land attacks and strategic bombing
Spain - land
Western Med, Italian Coast, and Eastern Med. - naval surface fleet combat with Italy, attack Italian convoys.
North Sea and Baltic Sea - naval surface fleet combat with Germany

(6) What is the master production plan by unit type and gearing limits?
Overall, France is strategically on the defensive (i.e., it has a strong bias towards defensive builds). Each build cycle calculates the turn (bi-month) when German land attack pressure will be greatest. What to build will depend on: (1) what units are available, (2) available build points versus unit costs, (3) timing arrivals to be present during the crisis turn, and (4) accommodating gearing limits so future builds can satisfy the first 3 criteria.
Land -
Naval - None
Air - By priority, fighters, tactical bombers, air transports, naval air, and strategic bombers.
Special - None

(7) What are the strategic plan’s milestones and what is the time line for those milestones?
Within a strategic plan set there are options available. Some are major alternatives and some are separate side decisions. It is important that the GS make a firm commitment to one major alternative and only change when: (1) forced to do so by failure, or (2) overwhelmingly attractive opportunities appear.
1939 Sep/Oct
Nov/Dec
1940 Jan/Feb
Mar/Apr
May/Jun
Jul/Aug
Sep/Oct
Nov/Dec
1941 Jan/Feb
Mar/Apr
May/Jun
Jul/Aug
Sep/Oct
Nov/Dec
1942 Jan/Feb
Mar/Apr
May/Jun
Jul/Aug
Sep/Oct
Nov/Dec

1.2 Make all decisions regarding US entry actions and choices; s. 9.4, 13.3 (3 Re)
Only the USA player needs to decide about US entry choices. US entry actions that could be taken by France are:

#21 Support an attacked minor (7) - Yes, when possible

#22 Declare war on Italy (-12) - (conditions?)

#24 Declare war on Japan (-26) - Never.

#30 Align a minor (-5) - Never

#32 Declare war on a minor (e.g., Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland) (-17, -12, -5) - Never.

1.3 Make initiative choices (going first, rerolling); s.6 (2 Re)

There are several items involved here. First the subordinates to the JCS need to determine the likely cost in CVs of going first versus going second in the current turn. In most cases, when given the opportunity to go first, France should take it. The decision about going first or second lies in the hands of the GS because of the importance of getting the initiative at certain times. The decision to reroll is identical in this regard.

1.4 Place US entry markers in pools (1 Re)
Not applicable to France.

1.5 Place offensive and defensive markers (1 Re)

1.6 Choose between offense/defense markers and USSR reserve build points (2 Re)

1.7 Make intelligence decisions (Re & In)
?

1.8 Decide whether to destroy factories; s. 22.2 (1 In)
Destroy all blue enemy factories whenever possible. Orders are passed along to Field Marshals to move land units into blue factory hexes and destroy them.

1.9 Choose new home country (1 Re)
This is a hard coded decision, since there are few choices.
=============================
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
lomyrin

Post by lomyrin »

If Germany sets up with insufficient forces against France an incursion into Germany with 4 units could allow alignment of Yugoslavia.

I have also seen a game where Germany went for Poland and immediately thereafter Russia, leaving France only lightly screened. In such a situation it could be to France's advantage to DoW Belgium sometime late 40 or early 41.

Lars
wfzimmerman

Post by wfzimmerman »

how about helping the British take out southern Norway in 39-40? I realize from what I read that this is rarely done by WIF players but just looking at the map it seems like a reasonable alternative.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: lomyrin

If Germany sets up with insufficient forces against France an incursion into Germany with 4 units could allow alignment of Yugoslavia.

I have also seen a game where Germany went for Poland and immediately thereafter Russia, leaving France only lightly screened. In such a situation it could be to France's advantage to DoW Belgium sometime late 40 or early 41.

Lars
As always, I like to broaden an idea.

So, if Germany poses no threat to France, then the strategic defensive posture could be changed to something a bit more agressive. As part of that change in strategic thinking, declaring war on Belgium (to extend the frontline against Germany) could be made possible. I see this as a major change in the strategic plan due to 'circumstances'. Are there others? Spain?

The AIO is continuously monitoring the relative strengths of each frontline. If the USSR is in serious trouble, should France launch an all out offensive?
Steve

Froonp

Post by Froonp »

(5) Where are the expected areas of conflict, with whom, and what type of combat (land, naval, air, and/or convoys)?
(...)
Offense
Spain - land
Western Med, Italian Coast, and Eastern Med. - naval surface fleet combat with Italy, attack Italian convoys.
Maybe this is covered by the "Tactical AI", but one of the targets in Offense, should be the enemy HQs.
This is true for any army at land war. Targeting enemy HQs is a very important thing to do.
(...)
Land -
This depends on players.
Of note, building 1 or 2 armor capable units (ARM or MECH) is good to create an anti blitz stack. 1 may be enough, as there is already one on the spiral.
There are several items involved here. First the subordinates to the JCS need to determine the likely cost in CVs of going first versus going second in the current turn. In most cases, when given the opportunity to go first, France should take it. The decision about going first or second lies in the hands of the GS because of the importance of getting the initiative at certain times. The decision to reroll is identical in this regard.
France should not try to go first at every opportunity (The CW has more chances to ask for this, because of convoy defending). France should try to make the Intiative go toward the +2 Allied section as soon as possible.
The only turns when France should advocate to go first if possible are the turn when Germany will DoW, and the couple of turns thereafter.
?

France should aim at gaining intell points, so France should most of the time choose to have multipliers, and not dices.
But France should also not forget about using the Intell before Germany Vichyfies it.
The CW should be choosing dices, as the CW has 2 dices for every Intell Point.
This said, France should never spend a BP on Intell Operations, France has to scarse BPs.
It France has a spare BP during a production phase, France should store it for next turn, and not buy an Intell point.
Destroy all blue enemy factories whenever possible. Orders are passed along to Field Marshals to move land units into blue factory hexes and destroy them.

Why ???
France should not destroy its own blue factories. The enemy can't use them, but France will be able to use them when France is liberated, so destroying them goes against France interests.

Should not be hardcoded.
Should be a choice amongst the available Free France countries. The one that will be chosen should be one with the most cities and the most ports and eventualy RPs. The one chosen should not be too far away from the UK and the USA, for future lend lease, and should be reasonably close to the future European field of battle.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: wfzimmerman

how about helping the British take out southern Norway in 39-40? I realize from what I read that this is rarely done by WIF players but just looking at the map it seems like a reasonable alternative.
Sort of implied herein is a willingness to cooperate with the Allies. Invading Norway wouldn't be part of France's strategic plan. However, assisting CW in their attack falls within the domain of helping friends (Foreign Liaison Decision Maker). The best examples of that would be asking for the BEF and helping to defend CW convoys.
Steve

bredsjomagnus

Post by bredsjomagnus »

I think there should always exist a chance for the different action alternetives that is at hand. For example to declare war against Belgium or what ever there is, even if that chance is very small. To implement "never", makes a nation all to predictable.

A "stiff" nation, might in my opinion, become an easier opponent than one that always keeps its alternatives open. But of course France should give priority to her defences and only in rare cases attack Belgium and so on.

Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
So, if Germany poses no threat to France, then the strategic defensive posture could be changed to something a bit more agressive. As part of that change in strategic thinking, declaring war on Belgium (to extend the frontline against Germany) could be made possible. I see this as a major change in the strategic plan due to 'circumstances'. Are there others? Spain?

The AIO is continuously monitoring the relative strengths of each frontline. If the USSR is in serious trouble, should France launch an all out offensive?
No.
I've had a game where this happened, and France just has to wait, build to death, and when the Americans and the British (hampered by non cooperation) will be there, then they can attack.
Italy is the first target, and should be invaded by France & the CW as soon as possible. Conquering it by the end of 41 is possible, I've done it, with the German deep in the Caucasus.
France can also cope with opening secondary fronts. In our game, France liberated the Balkans, and was driving into Rumania when the game ended.
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

I would DoW Belgium only when this becomes necessary, to try to catch the Germans by surprise, but I would not DoW it just to broaden the frontline.
Only when the Wallies would be ready to fight Germany and make progress.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Froonp
(...)
Offense
Spain - land
Maybe this is covered by the "Tactical AI", but one of the targets in Offense, should be the enemy HQs.
This is true for any army at land war. Targeting enemy HQs is a very important thing to do.
(...)
Land -
This depends on players.
Of note, building 1 or 2 armor capable units (ARM or MECH) is good to create an anti blitz stack. 1 may be enough, as there is already one on the spiral.
France should not try to go first at every opportunity (The CW has more chances to ask for this, because of convoy defending). France should try to make the Intiative go toward the +2 Allied section as soon as possible.
The only turns when France should advocate to go first if possible are the turn when Germany will DoW, and the couple of turns thereafter.
?

France should aim at gaining intell points, so France should most of the time choose to have multipliers, and not dices.
But France should also not forget about using the Intell before Germany Vichyfies it.
The CW should be choosing dices, as the CW has 2 dices for every Intell Point.
This said, France should never spend a BP on Intell Operations, France has to scarse BPs.
It France has a spare BP during a production phase, France should store it for next turn, and not buy an Intell point.

Why ???
France should not destroy its own blue factories. The enemy can't use them, but France will be able to use them when France is liberated, so destroying them goes against France interests.

Should not be hardcoded.
Should be a choice amongst the available Free France countries. The one that will be chosen should be one with the most cities and the most ports and eventualy RPs. The one chosen should not be too far away from the UK and the USA, for future lend lease, and should be reasonably close to the future European field of battle.
Attacking enemy HQ is tactical (Field Marshal Decision Maker)

Builds depend upon the players? If you cuold propose several different 'personalities' and how they would build, that would be great. I could make them alternatives for the AIO.

Ok, France defers to CW for reroll decision - that's fine. Decision to go first is sometimes forced on France as Yes when disaster looms. But given nothing tragic about to occur, then No is France's preference. Ok.

Intell - thanks, I've never played with Intell and was at a loss as to what to do.

Destroy enemy blue factories.

I think hard-coded is possible. Assume all the French territories go Free France, which should be the new home country? And if that one is not available, but all the others are? And so on.
Steve

Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: wfzimmerman

I would never DoW Norway, as the CW. The Norwegian TRS & CPs are too numerous.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: bredsjomagnus
I think there should always exist a chance for the different action alternetives that is at hand. For example to declare war against Belgium or what ever there is, even if that chance is very small. To implement "never", makes a nation all to predictable.

A "stiff" nation, might in my opinion, become an easier opponent than one that always keeps its alternatives open. But of course France should give priority to her defences and only in rare cases attack Belgium and so on.

Predictability is a concern. But given a terrific opportunity it should always be taken. As a player I don't care if that makes me predictable. Likewise, really bad moves should never be taken just because of a random number. Randmoness should be for "maybe I should" moves.
Steve

Froonp

Post by Froonp »

I think hard-coded is possible. Assume all the French territories go Free France, which should be the new home country? And if that one is not available, but all the others are? And so on.
OK, you're right.
I try my luck at this. My choices for the new Home Country of Free France (or France) would be :

- First, from far : Senegal (major port, resource, close to Europe).
- Ivory Coast (Close to Europe, on 2 sea areas).
- French Guinea, Mauritania (Close to Europe).
- Gabon (good defensive capital)
- Gold Coast, Togo, Dahomey
- Cameroon, Middle Congo

I don't really know where I'd put the Magrheb countries, if they were Free French (Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria), and Syria.
I would never choose Indochina, except if there was only this available.
CBoehm

Post by CBoehm »

ORIGINAL: trees trees

you'll need completely different AI routines for good play using 1d10 vs 2d10. you could save a lot of time by writing AI for only one combat table. the cutting edge of WiF is 2d10.
I see no difference between the two CRTs from the AI's point of view. They both translate into probabilities of different outcomes. It is the probabilities of outcomes that the AI uses to decide whether to attack or if a defensive position needs strengthening, etc..

Only works if you assume blitz bonus on both tables ... perhaps CRT doesnt matter so much but wether or not BLITZ BONUS is included have a huge impact of not only composition of stacks, defensible hexes, defensible lines, which units to target/how much effort to put into targeting MECH/ARM units with groundstrikes, which enemy stacks to attack ei. with no blitzbonus its great to assault a stack incl. an ARM where only one "loss unit" is present ...I would venture to say that you pretty much has to build two AIs ...one assuming blitzbonus on CRT and one NOT assuming blitzbonus ...either that or atleast design the AI with ONE specific assumption in mind ...(I would suggest incl. blitzbonus ...and preferably also with emphasis on the 2d10 ...but its the blitzbonus that make the BIG difference).

If the above is not done you will find that your AI will be at a severe tactical disadvantage conserning groundwarfare ....already from this very choice.
WIF the most wonderful, frustrating, uplifting and depressing of all games...
trees

Post by trees »

Putting the Free French Home Country in Indo-China is great fun. An immediate thorn in the Japanese side ... a major port on the South China sea zone in Allied hands is something the Japanese AI (and human players) should never tolerate. Especially a major port that is a SUPPLY SOURCE for the US and CW. The Japanese are quickly on the horns of a dilemna ... if they move to take Free Vietnam the US jumps in the war right quick. If they don't the CW can easily send all Indian and Australian production (and maybe some Chinese, especially if the Russian bear has decided to come over and magnify the Japanese headaches) as Lend-Lease over that way and the Japanese are soon looking at new, beefy French INF and GARR units, and long-range FTR of cutting-edge American design parked right on their sensitive sea zone. Without the Oil option Indo-China is even more dangerous for the Japanese. Plus Hanoi is not simple to take, the Chinese probably still hold the northern flank and south of it is a mountain hex that only gains you a river hexside on Hanoi itself. Meanwhile Japan also needs to take Saigon but that too is a supply source and if you commit to attacking that there is less available for Hanoi. Add Saigon and Hanoi to the list of Manila, Singapore, and Batavia and the Japanese can be bogged down for a long time. Yes, I would take Indo-China as their Home Country whenever I can, the only exception is if things are looking really really bad for the CW and they won't be able to spare a few build points for the Free French.
plant trees
trees

Post by trees »

Steve's AI outline mentioned the important cities for the French Army to consider, but I think they should think more about the line of the Dyle river than the cities in particular. And leave all coastal hexes to the BEF for starters.

It also posits never aligning a country to France. I would align Yugoslavia to France in the case of a 1939 or early 1940 Axis attack, as the French will be more likely to be able to pick a land impulse and give the Yugoslav pieces a chance to move some. I guess if Yugo wasn't conquered it could end up a Vichy minor but I don't think that would be a completely bad thing for the Allies. Once Free France is established they make a good controller of any minor countries the Axis might still attack as they will have more action limits to work with.

Someone mentioned that France can send four corps across the border with Germany and possibly aligning Yugo to the Allies. This could be a sucker move by the Germans to allow this _IF_ Russia has already demanded Bessarabia early.

Oh and as for picking a Free French home country, aside from the fun of a lucky roll on Indo-China, Senegal if available is the number one choice as the most Build Points can land there. Syria is good for those reasons too but this will be way expensive in Convoy Points. To save Convoy Points any Free French colony in the Americas, depending on how those look (cities? major ports?) on the new map. The priorities are simple ... how much Lend-Lease can land, and how far from the USA. I also wouldn't select their capital in anything except a port (so not Cameroons), again depending on how the new map of Africa works out for that.
plant trees
Shannon V. OKeets

quote]ORIGINAL: CBoehm
ORIGINAL: trees trees

you'll need completely different AI routines for good play using 1d10 vs 2d10. you could save a lot of time by writing AI for only one combat table. the cutting edge of WiF is 2d10.
I see no difference between the two CRTs from the AI's point of view. They both translate into probabilities of different outcomes. It is the probabilities of outcomes that the AI uses to decide whether to attack or if a defensive position needs strengthening, etc..

Only works if you assume blitz bonus on both tables ... perhaps CRT doesnt matter so much but wether or not BLITZ BONUS is included have a huge impact of not only composition of stacks, defensible hexes, defensible lines, which units to target/how much effort to put into targeting MECH/ARM units with groundstrikes, which enemy stacks to attack ei. with no blitzbonus its great to assault a stack incl. an ARM where only one "loss unit" is present ...I would venture to say that you pretty much has to build two AIs ...one assuming blitzbonus on CRT and one NOT assuming blitzbonus ...either that or atleast design the AI with ONE specific assumption in mind ...(I would suggest incl. blitzbonus ...and preferably also with emphasis on the 2d10 ...but its the blitzbonus that make the BIG difference).

If the above is not done you will find that your AI will be at a severe tactical disadvantage conserning groundwarfare ....already from this very choice.
[/quote]
It all comes down to probable outcomes when determining the composition of defensive hexes or of attacking stacks. There are many variables (terrain, availability of air support, HQ support, etc.). The combat tables are yet one more variable that has to be included in the calculations. A separate logic set is not really required, merely the ability to calculate using the existing optional rule selections (combat engineers, too).
Steve

Return to “AI Opponent Discussion”