Forge of Freedom Has Gone Gold!

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

Alex Fiedler

Forge of Freedom Has Gone Gold!

Post by Alex Fiedler »

The American Civil War strategy game is completed and will be available soon

Matrix Games and Western Civilization Software (www.west-civ.com) are pleased to announce that Forge of Freedom has reached gold status and will be available soon. Based on the robust and versatile Crown of Glory engine, Forge of Freedom allows players to refight the American Civil War from either side in this grand strategy wargame. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. However, Forge of Freedom is not limited solely to military action, you can also control economic policy with governors and use diplomatic tact to win the support of foreign nations during what was to be the bloodiest battle in US history.

The diplomatic and economic systems have been streamlined and improved since Crown of Glory to be more user-friendly and also suited to the period. Rather than multiple minor nations, each state has its own Governor and they will make demands on you and shift their attitudes according to events. In addition, you will have to manage diplomacy with the European powers to try to sway them towards or against intervention. Over 1,000 historical generals are included along with an option to know their abilities ahead of time or have to find out the hard way, as happened historically. Railroads, rivers and cities all play important roles, as do elections which occur at both state and national levels. Every effort has been made to bring you as thorough a simulation of the American Civil War as is possible, from 1860 to 1865, from the skirmishes and raids in the West to the pitched battles in the East and the Naval blockade.

Forge of Freedom will provide both experienced Crown of Glory players and newcomers alike adequate challenges without the hassle of a complicated interface or steep learning curve. Thanks to Forge of Freedom's turn-based design, the game moves at whatever pace the player decides. The new engine and methods used for diplomatic, economic and social strategies make running a country fast and easy. While your armies march across a regional movement map, battles will allow you to play at a smaller scale as we saw in Crown of Glory. In the detailed battlefield map, each side is trying to capture and achieve objectives, making forts and defensive outposts more critical and important.

For more information and the latest news on Forge of Freedom check the Matrix Games page at www.matrixgames.com and the Forge of Freedom forums. Forge of Freedom is slated for release late November early December.
Paper Tiger

RE: Forge of Freedom Has Gone Gold!

Post by Paper Tiger »

Dear Santa ....

[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]

[:D]
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Excellent. I've been really looking forward to this because I had Crown of Glory and, whilst the game was incredibly indepth and looked fun, I just couldn't get passed the graphics. They were pretty sub par and didn't look very good on my system. In particular, the map just wasn't nice at all...it was very hard to work out nations, borders, friend, foe etc, etc....so I didn't get into it even though I reallyw anted to.

The graphics, in particular the maps, are much more refined in this and I personally can't wait (although I will have to) to get my first American Civil War game.

Fantastic news.
Alba gu' brath
fabertong

Post by fabertong »

Credit card at the ready............
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

So what? Another month?
Favoritism is alive and well here.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Probably 3 or 4 days - week at most
Alba gu' brath
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ACK, may have trouble finnagling the card that soon ( wife has credit card not I) But I will manage it by crook or what ever.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
marecone

Post by marecone »

Gimme, gimme [:D]
"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Probably 3 or 4 days - week at most

The announcement says late Nov early Dec but it's not clear if that is for the boxed version, digital download, or both? Can anyone from Matrix clarify that?
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Joram

Post by Joram »

Excellent but I think I'll wait till the first patch. :)
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Digital Download is always available about 1 to 2 weeks before the physical. I see no reason why that would change...so when they say late Nov early Dec, they are specifically talking about when it will be available at it's earliest...i.e. digital download
Alba gu' brath
Paper Tiger

Post by Paper Tiger »

Well today is 21st Nov so late Nov any time from now till the end of Nov, Early Dec first two weeks?
Just in time for my holidays, laptop handy, wife angry, and the ashes on the radio in the middle of the night and West Indies vs Pakistan during the day. Man that is a real christmas.
(For the Yanks the Ashes is like the world series of cricket, think baseball with the protective clothing of american football. One famous west indian bowler (pitcher) used to say "I like to see blood on the wicket". The padding is needed.")

cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

Just FYI, the American Thanksgiving holiday is this Thursday and may (or may not) delay any uploading and digital distribution that Matrix is planning to do. I'm quite suprised about this one, I was expecting Empire in Arms to be the next release, but this is something new.

I own Crown of Glory and I like the overall presentation. I was thrown off by the sheer complexity (so many sides constantly battling, I could only even play Sweden in order to manage my spinning head). I'm wondering if only having two major sides might alleviate this problem. All in all, I really loved the turn based battles, so it looks like this game will serve that well.

Son of Montfort
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
USSLockwood

Post by USSLockwood »

Woot!  Honey, ship the kids off to military school, I'll see you in six months!

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control
Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control
spruce

Post by spruce »

Load up those credit cards and fire ![&o]
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

ORIGINAL: Joram

Excellent but I think I'll wait till the first patch. :)
[X(]Same here, and what units won't we be able to build... aka:Lancers![8|]. Perhaps i'll wait until patch 4 or 5.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Post by AU Tiger_MatrixForum »

Well crap. This thing will probably come out the week of finals. I don't have that kind willpower....[:(]
"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

ORIGINAL: AU Tiger

Well crap. This thing will probably come out the week of finals. I don't have that kind willpower....[:(]

If you have a history final, you could just look at it as "research." Hell, if you were in my class and let me win a multiplay game, I just might give you extra credit! [8D]
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Post by AU Tiger_MatrixForum »

LOL. Please tell me you are a Mechanical Engineering professor!
"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson
Bungo_Pete

Post by Bungo_Pete »

How much $ for the game?

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”