What happened to the Modern era?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JRThor

What happened to the Modern era?

Post by JRThor »

Why is it so hard to find more than 1 nice turn based game based set in the modern era (or am I just not looking in the right place). I can (and have) played so many variations based on WWII and even 4X Space games. What happened to the good old days of CommandHQ, or Conflict (Israel Vs. Neighbors).

I'm here to say it, I've had enough WWII, I seen, devised and used every strategy to win every major conflict in that war. I want to be supreme commander of America's modern army vs the world, and Superpower2 doesn't count (the game of 1000 bugs).

First Post [:)]
Life is not a race.
Veldor

RE: What happened to the Modern era?

Post by Veldor »

ORIGINAL: JRThor

Why is it so hard to find more than 1 nice turn based game based set in the modern era (or am I just not looking in the right place). I can (and have) played so many variations based on WWII and even 4X Space games. What happened to the good old days of CommandHQ, or Conflict (Israel Vs. Neighbors).

I'm here to say it, I've had enough WWII, I seen, devised and used every strategy to win every major conflict in that war. I want to be supreme commander of America's modern army vs the world, and Superpower2 doesn't count (the game of 1000 bugs).

First Post [:)]

Try Flashpoint Germany:
http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=287

Or Harpoon 3:
http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=323

WWII is the sweet spot in wargaming. It always has been and likely always will be. Ask 100 wargamers what time periods they are interested in and you'll likely get 99 if not all 100 who will include WWII. Every other time period will lag behind significantly.

There are also games in the Squad Battles series that cover more modern time periods.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

I'm a big fan of post WW2 stuff too, as long as it isn't too much the "war on terror" stuff. Cold War Europe is my favourite period/location of all simply because its so great for wargaming; lots of interesting hardware and variation, extreme mobility, and two roughly even sides and equal chances, but each needs a very different approach to play successfully.

Flashpoint Germany is excellent, and in addition to the Vietnam 'Squad Battles' games HPS also doing a series of 'Modern Campaigns', specifically Middle East '67 (and '73), Fulda Gap and North German Plain in traditional IGOUGO style. TOAW 3 has lots of modern scenarios covering the Cold War, Middle East, a Korean refight, Iraq, and just about anything else you can think of.

I'd also strongly recommend Pat Proctor's (Prosim/Shrapnel) Armored Task Force series, the base game being a general US in modern war thing, and others centering on the Middle East, a Korean refight (again) and a real rarity, the Falklands War. A demo of the new game and engine, Air Assault Task Force (Vietnam, Somalia, Afghanistan) has just been released over at Shrapnel. The games are not turn based, but real/continuous time in the same way the Matrix 'Airborne Assault' series is... in other words rock-hard wargames, not clickfests.
mlees

Post by mlees »

Operational Art of War had some scenerios set in "modern" times.

But at the moment, "shooters" and "real-time strategy" games seem to be more popular...
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Shrapnel games has some great looking tactical options (with demos).

Aside from the others mentioned, WinSPMBT is also a great option (and it's free).
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Return to “General Discussion”