Finland Coup bugged

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

Protagonist

Finland Coup bugged

Post by Protagonist »

According to the Manual:
Finland Coup 2%

With this Event, Finland will offer to join the German player at the start of the next German turn. For this to occur, the following conditions must be met.

- Finland must be neutral;
- Norway must be German controlled;
- Western Soviet Regions must be unfrozen;
- The United States must be frozen; and
- The event check must be successful.

In the two PBEM games I happen to be playing, that third condition is not fulfilled, yet Finland has joined Germany. What this allows is Germany to build up on the doorstep of Leningrad. I do not think this was what was intended and I think the third condition is not checked in software.
Currently playing:

Gary Grigsby's World at War
Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided
kamikazininja

RE: Finland Coup bugged

Post by kamikazininja »

Bug has been added to our list and will be looked into.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Finland can join in ways other than the coup (by Germany taking areas adjacent to Finland). Are you sure the coup event has happened (check the political events screen)? Did you take Norway by any chance?
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Protagonist

Post by Protagonist »

Joel,

I checked and the coup did not occur on at least one of the two games (I will check the next game as I get the next save). So in this case Finland just joined of its own accord (and I had taken Norway from the Allies a turn before I believe). I might fiddle with the percentage chance that Finland will turn (I can't remember its volatility now). Because as is, Finland is a must have so you can attack Leningrad, get the surprise penalty to counteract the fortified bonus, kill the Navy, and get the Strategic Point, all before Russia can move. If you don't have to attack Finland to move your troops in, Russia doesn't have its War Readiness go up by 8.

While I have you looking at this thread... is there any bug with Hungary? It is Winter 1942 and Hungary still hasn't decided to join Axis yet, while Italy, Rumania, Bulgaria, and Yugoslavia are Axis (I attacked and took an Allied-Leaning Yugoslavia). Russia is still Frozen at this point. If I attack, Russia's War Readiness goes up by 8.
Currently playing:

Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Finland is definately not a 'must have'. Its a bonus. In WaW, you didnt get Finland until you already HAD Leningrad.

For Hungary, the date per se has nothing to do with whether or not she joins. Every time you capture a region that belongs to or is 'pro' for the other side, there is a chance that friendly neutrals move one step closer to joining you. That chance is Volatility squared. So if you took the adjacent regions and Hungary didnt join, there isnt much you can do short of waiting to retake those regions if lost. Its simply part of the variability of the political system. 
Protagonist

Post by Protagonist »

Just bad luck... because Volatility Squared in the case of Hungary is 81%.
Currently playing:

Return to “Tech Support”