Stock Data Base Update

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

pry

Stock Data Base Update

Post by pry »

OK Folks

Joel has given me permission and I am going to make another OFFICIAL pass thru the stock scenario data bases and try to correct all the remaining issues and errors.

This will be not be a Major Reworking of the Data Bases this is simply a fix for existing errors, so don't ask for new stuff.

PLEASE Keep this a fix list only, Thanks.

Pry
{Edit} 11/01/06
This always happens the fix thread always turns into a runaway train...

The scope of my review is strictly limited to existing typos and errors as follows, basically fixing items that do not require code changes to the game itself.

Ships with gun facing issues
Ships arriving with wrong configurations
Air groups with incorrect max aircraft or configurations
Radar set to wrong type
Duplicate leaders
Fixing the two major issues with scenario 2 (Withdraw port and Canton garrison)
Those kinds of changes…

This type of stuff will not be addressed, it is beyond the scope of this review and would require testing for game play and balance issues.

Adding new units
Changing Leader values
Changing aircraft performance and ordnance
Aircraft production numbers

Akos Gergely

RE: Stock Data Base Update

Post by Akos Gergely »

Change real Balao class subs to Balaos instead of Gatos.
pauk

Post by pauk »

fixing japanese radar (type 13?) to air search radar
KDonovan

Post by KDonovan »

air group 2122 (float plane group on CL Denver) has a max allotment of 44 planes instead of 4
Bliztk

Post by Bliztk »

Fixing all the duplicate leaders in units, so we can kill the "Staff Officer" bug
kkoovvoo

Post by kkoovvoo »

Please, make possible to add database changes to existing saved games (like v 1.60 which fixed japan 4.7 DP base forces guns from naval guns to DP guns)
invernomuto

Post by invernomuto »

I agree with kkoovvoo. Please, make possibile to apply this official fix to existing games.

Bye
ctangus

Post by ctangus »

HMAS Canberra has a belt armor rating of 25. That must be a typo. Probably should be 115 just as HMAS Australia.
YankeeAirRat

Post by YankeeAirRat »

I would ask for an updating of the Allied Naval Commanders leadership and aggressiveness. A number of them espically the carrier admirals all seem to be in the low 50's or 40's. That doesn't seem realistic when there are surface commanders that are running in the high 70's and 80's
Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.
spence

Post by spence »

Please fix the armor rating on all IJN heavy cruiser main gun turrets to 25mm, their real life protection.

Put something on the "Pensacola Convoy".  Actual units were the aircraft of the 27th Light Bombardment Group (53 x A-24s), 18 P-40e's and 2 x 2 battalion artillery regiments equipped with 75mm howitzers).  The P-40s were replacement or supplemental a/c for the Philippines so perhaps they belong in the pool.  They did end up participating or being available for the DEI campaign.  The personnel for the 27th Bomb Group were already in the Philippines.  These aircraft and personnel evacuated from the Philippines along with some from the States eventually formed the 8th Bomb Squadron in OZ.  One of the Battallions of artillery got to Java before the end...the others ended up deployed to Northern OZ reequipping with 105 mm's during mar-Apr 42, later fighting in New Guinea.  The Pensacola Convoy had substantial reinforcements for the Philippines on board and a significant portion of them got into the fight fairly early in the war.  The Louisville Convoy was actually empty though and returning to the States.

In the Rising Sun scenario (#2), start HMS Exeter in Tricomalee (since Colombo is not on the map).  Exeter was half the 8" gun power of ABDAFLOT during the Battle of the Java Sea but it never gets into the fight at all because of its starting location (Colombo).  I don't know if it is possible but this scenario also needs someplace to make withdrawals from...because neither Karachi nor Bombay are on the map.  British ship withdrawals that can't be made cost the Allied Player scarce political points. Frankly, since there's really no place to hide on the map the IJN Player doubles that advantage up by hunting down and sinking anything that can't withdraw to boot (once KB shows up).

Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Thanks Pry

RN and RAF Leaders are my main ones Air Commodores please for the Air Groups

Slim Arrives to late he should arrive as Burma Corps HQ commander and be available for redeployment as he was in theatre all through the period.

Somerville gets crap ratings all round for the ex commander of Force H - Surface 62, Air 42 Aggression 50 ????? this for the ex commander of Force H and the man who trie dto attack KB with Swordfish....sorry those ratings are just wrong add 20 to each IMO might be closer.

Pretty much all the RN Flag officers get a low comparative rating for some reason and Vice Admiral Bruce Fraser seems to be totally missing ?

On the RAF front a selection of the senior officers in theatre below

Air Marshall Park doesnt arrive at all
Air Commodore Alexander Gray 224 Group
Air Commodore Stanley Vincent 221 Gp
AVM the Earl of Bandon
ACommodore Sir Guy Garrod
AVM Sir Philip Joubert de la Ferte
Air Marshall Baldwin 3 TAF
Air Commodore Stevenson

Basically the RAF seems to have been ignored for higher commanders

If there is any possibility of getting leaders added I will do research not willing to waste time on a dead end though
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

3rd Commando Bde would be a nice addition but that may be floggin a dead horse !!!
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Hmm I think I may be misunderstanding the intent pry neither of the above especially the 3 Cdo point are actually required fixes they are just things that annoy me about the game so may not be appropriate for this refresh cycle
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

I never looked in the data base to confirm this but several people told me that the Japanese 105mm AA gun is coded wrong and won't shoot at planes.

It does not appear in the in game unit information database.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
spence

Post by spence »

The ferry or max range of the PV-1 should be 36 with extended range 12 and normal range 9. This plane got really short-changed rangewise in Stock. Its top speed was also 307 mph - the figure in the data base of 280-290 something is appropriate for its derivative successor the PV-2 which is not in the game at all. The PV-1 was also built with the airborne surface-search radar ASV-1.
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

My all time favorite typo :

Jap destroyer with 40 torps onboard [:D][:D][:D]

Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (50.9 KiB) Viewed 262 times
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Miller

Post by Miller »

Gato class subs have 30 torpedoes instead of the real life 24 (ammo for front tubes needs to be reduced from 3 to 2).
pry

Post by pry »

Data Collected.....

Thanks everyone for the most part these are the types of errors and typos I am looking for, keep them coming. I have a pretty long list already but I want to get as many as possible this pass, I don't know when if ever we will do this again so we need to get everything possible this time.

Please note the scenario(s) the error occurs in (or all 16) whenever possible that will help speed things up.

A few notes from the posted comments,

YankeeAirRat and Andy Mac, Leader Values will not change this is beyond the scope of this data base fix.

Spence,
I am aware of the scenario 2 withdrawal issue and the Japanese forces in Canton moving into Hong Kong and partisans destroying all the supply based there. I'll see what I can do about this.

RUPD3658, which device number are you taking about?
[Edit] Ok I see it device 276 thanks...

BigJ62

Post by BigJ62 »

ORIGINAL: pry

Data Collected.....

Thanks everyone for the most part these are the types of errors and typos I am looking for, keep them coming. I have a pretty long list already but I want to get as many as possible this pass, I don't know when if ever we will do this again so we need to get everything possible this time.

Please note the scenario(s) the error occurs in (or all 16) whenever possible that will help speed things up.

Will you be using any tools to look for errors such as my editor and witpchk? Also an officially corrected
Pwhex.dat file would be nice.

Thanks
Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.
spence

Post by spence »

Along with Japanese Radar perhaps all radars need to be looked at.  The build rate for a lot of them is 0 with 0 (both sides) in the pool - so can these radars even enter the game?   If one gets damaged can it be fixed?  Looking at some obvious candidates for surface search radar (PB4Y-1, PV-1, Catalina) I didn't find any planes so equipped.  Also the penetration value for the Air Intercept radars seems to be 0 which as I understand things means they won't detect aircraft at all.  Could be why night fighters never accomplish much.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”