Matrix Games Licenses Award-winning Close Combat Series from Destineer Publishing Corp

Gamers can find out here about the latest happenings from Matrix and its partners.

Moderator: MOD_PressReleases

David Heath

Matrix Games Licenses Award-winning Close Combat Series from Destineer Publishing Corp

Post by David Heath »

Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) is excited to announce that it has obtained the license to Atomic Games’ legendary Close Combat real-time strategy series. Matrix will be updating and enhancing the original games in the series. The first game released will be Close Combat – Cross of Iron.

“We are thrilled to have Destineer’s Close Combat series in our hands,” said David Heath, Operations Manager of Matrix Games. “These games are, even by today’s standards, superior entertainment.”

“ We are excited to be working with Matrix Games for the update to the classic Close Combat series,” Cindy Swanson of Destineer was quoted as saying. “They bring to the table exactly what we need to make this rock-solid production even better.”

Destineer purchased Atomic Games last year, thereby obtaining the Close Combat series. Now, Matrix Games will be working closely with Destineer to bring this exemplary game back to the wargaming community.

Close Combat is a real time two-player series of games spanning some of the grittiest World War II action in gaming, in either single battles or large campaigns. Players command squads and vehicles and lead their men from battle to battle, earning promotions and medals, challenging the player to see them through the end of the conflict.

The original Close Combat series, released between 1996 and 2000, virtually created the genre of military real-time strategy games. Created by Atomic and originally published by Microsoft®, the result was a groundbreaking game series that sold over 1.2 million units and went on to win dozens of military strategy game awards, as well as being named by PC Gamer as one of “The 50 Best Games Ever” in October, 1998. Still recognized for its highly realistic simulation of battlefields, Close Combat was named one of the “Top 10 Strategy Games of All Time” in February of 2004 by GameSpy.
Punisher

RE: Matrix Games Licenses Award-winning Close Combat Series from Destineer Publishing Corp

Post by Punisher »

The Close Combat series was the best of the best for Military WWII PC games and one of my all time favorites! I still have it on my Laptop for a quick fun game while waiting in a airport. Can't wait to see what you guys will do with this series!   Thanks! Punisher[&o]
pad152

RE: Matrix Games Licenses Award-winning Close Combat Series from Destineer Publishing Corp

Post by pad152 »

Only thing to say, "NO 3D PLEASE !!!".[:-]

Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: David Heath Matrix will be updating and enhancing the original games in the series.
ORIGINAL: David Heath The first game released will be Close Combat – Cross of Iron.
Will this be Close Combat 6?

brent_2

Post by brent_2 »

Well - here I am with the same feeling that originally brought me to this forum in March of 2001! Not at all cynical about it - just happy and that this seems to be how this goes. Shaun, Marc, Chris, Paul, David...and a host of others that are not coming to mind right now - all in the same place. I like the sounds of this.
I'm essentially graphically and history oriented, unfortunately to connect the two I have to do maths. I hate maths.
CSO_Brent
redbear

Post by redbear »

i still have CC III IV V on my hard drive this super 
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

congratulations to all involved - very much looking forward to trying out the new incarnations of the games that I helped test all those years ago (can't believe quite *how* long ago!!)

cheers Chris
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

Ok...this is very cool!!...had heard rumours but to finally see it is great.

So is Cross of Iron really CCIII renamed and with added material?

I see it mentioned it as a two player game, and the Gamespot article focuses on multiplayer, this doesn't mean you have gotten rid of the single player right?...more often then not I play single and want to keep it that way.

Gamespot article also doesn't mention CC5...no rights for that one?

About CC2, is that high up on the re-release list?..I know 3 is popular for mods and I'm sure that's why you are doing that first, but 2 is very well thought of and by far the most interesting to me.
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Hi   We are not gettting rid of single player and we also have licensed  Close Combat 5.  Expect to see news about this before long.   David  
pippy

Post by pippy »

Thank you David. Can't wait to see the updates you have planned. Will be looking forward to adding this to my collection. Don
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

[:D]Freakin' awesome! The best games ever...still[8D].
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Splusmer

Post by Splusmer »

How about a new civilian verison of CC: Marines? I know there was a modern game released and later pulled from the shelves, but I mean a new Matrix-published CC:M?

kschang

Post by kschang »

ORIGINAL: Splusmer How about a new civilian verison of CC: Marines? I know there was a modern game released and later pulled from the shelves, but I mean a new Matrix-published CC:M?
If you mean "Close Combat: First to Fight" (which is about Marines in Beirut, Lebanon!) it wasn't pulled, just didn't do as well as expected. Destineer never did release any mod tools so the level designers got nothing to work with, but the existing levels are decent, and AI can actually kill hostiles. I've played it through on all difficulty levels, and proper use of cover is VERY important.

Close Combat: Red Phoenix, which was supposed to be an RTS based on Larry Bond's novel of same name, was the one that never made it to the shelves.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

No, he does not mean First to Fight.  That was a shooter not relaeted to Close Combat in any way shape or form.   CC Marines is a training tool for the US Marines        
Splusmer

Post by Splusmer »

ORIGINAL: kschang

If you mean "Close Combat: First to Fight" [snip]
No, I didn't mean First to Fight... There was a very short-lived release of a modern version of Close Combat (I *think* based on the work done on Close Combat: Marines, but maybe not)--I don't even know if CSO Simtek was involved in it, or if it saw much U.S. distribution. I do remember a news story or two about it being pulled from store shelves (I gather the released version had numerous problems)? I don't think this commercial game even used the Close Combat name, just the engine.
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

You mean "Road to Baghdad" I think...
Splusmer

Post by Splusmer »

Yes, I believe that's the one.  It gets a mention in the Close Combat article on Wikipedia (although I find the article a tad suspect, as they attribute Avalon Hill's Over the Reich and Third Reich development work to Atomic Games), and I found a couple of gamer reviews on Gamespot:   http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/roadtobaghdad/players.html   Okay, yeah, that's right: it was published/"developed" by GlobalStar/Take2 in early 2004.  See also http://www.answers.com/topic/the-road-to-baghdad-game, etc.
Splusmer

Post by Splusmer »

Oops, here's more, including a few screenshots:     http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/theroadtobaghdad/screenshots.html   And here's a mod/version CSO has done/is doing for the RAF:   http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/closecombatrafregiment/   Notice in that blurb the mention of CSO-Simtek's new engine Synision and simulation "Tactical Reality" which will have both military and commercial versions and will replace the CC engine in their toolbox (according to this blurb at least).  I wonder what that engine is, and if Matrix and CSO have talked about that too?
wmerydith

Post by wmerydith »

This is the best gaming news I have heard in several years.  I was bummed when Atomic folded.

Recently I was playing Company of Heroes, and the whole time I was thinking how much fun that game would be if it had the tactical realism of Close Combat.  I miss Close Combat dearly.

Great news!
Splusmer

Post by Splusmer »

Okay, in an interview on the Armchair General site (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/articles.php?p&page=1&p=2992&page=2), David Heath does say, "We are considering a modern version as well."  I don't know if this will be a commercial version of CC:M, but it's still modern!  (I'll insert my plug here for the Falklands... ;P )

Return to “Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix”