Battlefront Games Announces End of Publishing Deal With Hussar Games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

KG Erwin

Battlefront Games Announces End of Publishing Deal With Hussar Games

Post by KG Erwin »

As noted on the Battlefront forums Yesterday:

"Battlefront.com and Hussar Games announce that they have mutually agreed to end their publishing agreement of 'For Liberty' and '1848' with immediate effect. Both parties would like to stress that the termination has been mutually agreed on amicable terms along the lines of the existing contracts and are not arising out of breach or any other disputes.

' Our cooperation with Hussar Games has been brief but successful', said Martin van Balkom, president of Battlefront.com. 'We are glad and proud to have helped Hussar Games to bring their games to the market and create international awareness for them. We wish the Hussar Games team all the best for their future plans, and we hope that the community will continue to support their titles!'

Bulcsu Varhegyi, Hussar Games: 'We would like to thank BattleFront.com for their work and support, it was a pleasure to work with them. Our existing customers will receive a free upgrade and they will have continued support at our new publisher with no cost. We wish Battlefront.com all the best for the future.'

Support for current owners of For Liberty will of course continue through Hussar Games as well as their new publisher. Battlefront.com will archive the existing discussion forum and will keep open and provide further support in the Tech Support forum for a few weeks. All purchases made so far have been shipped and no new orders are being accepted. The limited warranty offered by Battlefront.com to its customers of course remains in effect, including ongoing support for the eLicense DRM for as long as it’s needed.

--------------------
Battlefront.com
Your best friend, your worst enemy
www.battlefront.com "

I thought that 1848 was an excellent free game, and I enjoyed the For Liberty demo.

So, Matrix, how about hooking up with Hussar Games? [;)]

watchtower

RE: Battlefront Games Announces End of Publishing Deal With Hussar Games

Post by watchtower »

Whatch this space I should think[8D]

Sarge

Post by Sarge »

I purchased Liberty and had fun with it for about a week till the AI no longer was even remotely challenging, along with the horrible graphics. Also I am not really sure what they set out to accomplish with their tactical battle screen they added for the liberty release, but it added nothing to the DATED title.

I would much rather see a American Revolution title out of Crown Of Glory [:)]
Hentzau

Post by Hentzau »

Wonder if online activation is cutting into sales over there? Won't be a concern for this game anymore. Hey, pick up SC2! [;)]

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
So, Matrix, how about hooking up with Hussar Games?

Allready done since a few weeks [;)].

Check out our latest press release.

LOL! I shoulda known that would happen. [:D]
HussarGames

Post by HussarGames »

The Matrix Games release of For Liberty! will feature lots of improvements: improved AI, a campaign editor and more. The game has 3 multiplayer modes (PBEM, hot-seat and TCP-IP), so when the AI is not a challenge anymore, then you can try yourself against another human.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: HussarGames

The Matrix Games release of For Liberty! will feature lots of improvements: improved AI, a campaign editor and more. The game has 3 multiplayer modes (PBEM, hot-seat and TCP-IP), so when the AI is not a challenge anymore, then you can try yourself against another human.

May I be the first to voice the inevitable question?

If we already own the game will there be a free patch with the improvements or must we buy the game again from Matrix?
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Starting to get just a little bit cynical about this way of doing things. I don't have 'For Liberty!', but from what I've read about it its a good game from a good development team. So why not commission a new game from them, not a re-hash, re-release of a (very recent) game everybody seemed pretty much happy with in the first place?

Somehow Matrix seems to be losing its identity, and I hope the financial rewards justify it. I would give an awful lot of 'For Liberty!'s, BoB 2's, Battlegrounds, Carriers at War and even Harpoon and TAOW 3's for a Combat Leader or a Combined Arms: WW2.

TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

[:(]Good point Herston, and another thing: the only real changes i forsee is an evergrowing "coming soon" list and neverending wait for patches. Who gives a damn about how many hot dogs are on the grill...Where's the Beef!?[:'(]
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Zap

Post by Zap »

I'm sure Matrix is capable of defending themselves but I believe I read a while back their philosophy. It said something to the effect that they wanted to bring back classic games. Is that what they are doing? Or am I missing something?
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Zap

I'm sure Matrix is capable of defending themselves but I believe I read a while back their philosophy. It said something to the effect that they wanted to bring back classic games. Is that what they are doing? Or am I missing something?

I don't recall the post, but its a matter of balance I think. I don't think anybody would object to "bringing back classic games", everybody would like to see something "back". But it really comes down to what constitutes the core business. In my opinion, as with every other genre of computer game, things move on. If you sit down, play quality 'new' wargames, play quality 'old' ones, and compare the two (putting aside the nostalgia) the new ones come up tops. Always. They are better products. They raise the bar in a way that a few tweaks and a new UI never will. I know that development costs, but if this stuff is going to get recycled at least make it a sequel, not a re-hash. Sure, making the Harpoon games available again is good both for old hands and potential new ones but what the punters really want is Harpoon 4. Same with TAOW, Battlegrounds and just about everything else.
HussarGames

Post by HussarGames »

Our existing customers will not be left behind, they will get a free upgrade.
tevans6220

Post by tevans6220 »

Congrats on switching to Matrix. How's it going to work with those who purchased the game already? There was an activation process before. Will the update do away with it or will we still be tied to that whole activation mess? Sorry to say this but I refuse to go through that Elicense garbage anymore. It has got to be the worst setup ever. When I purchase something I don't want to be treated like a thief because I went through two licenses and have to ask for permission to install again. Unforseen things happen and you can go through two licenses quickly. Hopefully now that this game is with Matrix that's all in the past. 
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Starting to get just a little bit cynical about this way of doing things. I don't have 'For Liberty!', but from what I've read about it its a good game from a good development team. So why not commission a new game from them, not a re-hash, re-release of a (very recent) game everybody seemed pretty much happy with in the first place?

Somehow Matrix seems to be losing its identity, and I hope the financial rewards justify it. I would give an awful lot of 'For Liberty!'s, BoB 2's, Battlegrounds, Carriers at War and even Harpoon and TAOW 3's for a Combat Leader or a Combined Arms: WW2.

Matrix is not losing it identity at all. Hussar Games was already working on these features when it made the decsion to change publishers. Matrix will be releasing the new version the game. We will also be supporting free upggrades to our version for the gamers that already purchsaed the game from Battlefront. So understand didn't commission them to redo For Liberty.

Matrix has a lot to offer developers and many developers are chosing us for that reason. Matrix is also doing one of the things it does best.... and that is putting wargames infront of gamers and letting them decide.

David

David
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

ORIGINAL: TheHellPatrol

[:(]Good point Herston, and another thing: the only real changes i forsee is an evergrowing "coming soon" list and neverending wait for patches. Who gives a damn about how many hot dogs are on the grill...Where's the Beef!?[:'(]

We have released 6 games since may and two more are coming at least before the month is out. We do not push our developers to meet a deadline but instead we a good game. The Coming soon list may grow put so are the release list.

David

David Heath

Post by David Heath »

ORIGINAL: Hertston
ORIGINAL: Zap

I don't recall the post, but its a matter of balance I think. I don't think anybody would object to "bringing back classic games", everybody would like to see something "back". But it really comes down to what constitutes the core business. In my opinion, as with every other genre of computer game, things move on. If you sit down, play quality 'new' wargames, play quality 'old' ones, and compare the two (putting aside the nostalgia) the new ones come up tops. Always. They are better products. They raise the bar in a way that a few tweaks and a new UI never will. I know that development costs, but if this stuff is going to get recycled at least make it a sequel, not a re-hash. Sure, making the Harpoon games available again is good both for old hands and potential new ones but what the punters really want is Harpoon 4. Same with TAOW, Battlegrounds and just about everything else.

Hertston

I agree to a point but we leave that up to the developers. If you want Harpoon 4 talk to the developer this is really not our call.

David

TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

ORIGINAL: David Heath

We have released 6 games since may and two more are coming at least before the month is out.

David

Would one of those be "Battlefront"?...I can tell by your spelling, in previous posts, that you are already overworked![:'(][;)]
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

David Heath

Post by David Heath »

ORIGINAL: tevans6220

Congrats on switching to Matrix. How's it going to work with those who purchased the game already? There was an activation process before. Will the update do away with it or will we still be tied to that whole activation mess? Sorry to say this but I refuse to go through that Elicense garbage anymore. It has got to be the worst setup ever. When I purchase something I don't want to be treated like a thief because I went through two licenses and have to ask for permission to install again. Unforseen things happen and you can go through two licenses quickly. Hopefully now that this game is with Matrix that's all in the past. 

Hi Tevans

The new free upgrade version of For Liberty will remove the elicense system use by Battlefront and replace it with our Matrix Games Serial number system.

David

rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: HussarGames

Our existing customers will not be left behind, they will get a free upgrade.

Great News!

Thank You! [&o][&o][&o]
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Hi Tevans

The new free upgrade version of For Liberty will remove the elicense system use by Battlefront and replace it with our Matrix Games Serial number system.

David

Great news David. I will remain a loyal Matrix customer, buying everything released...except for that funky Canadian football game :)

Return to “General Discussion”