Why do you like this game over OOTP?

PureSim Baseball is the ultimate baseball fan's toy, with support for both casual and hardcore baseball fans.

Moderator: puresimmer

baseballfan99

Why do you like this game over OOTP?

Post by baseballfan99 »

I am thinking of purchasing this game, but want to know what people like about it over than the OOTP game? Thanks for your comments
waltwa

RE: Why do you like this game over OOTP?

Post by waltwa »

ootp is, in my strong opinion, an unplayable game. the developers bit off way more than they could chew and created a game that will take a major effort between now and the 2007 edition to get back on track. just as ootp took a major step backwards puresim and baseball mogul took big steps forward. personally i think puresim and bm are about even at this point.  i think both games are worth buying and playing especially since i think both will have an open beta so you will be able to see the new directions of each game. when i say buy both i mean puresim and bm but not ootp. if you read the posts on the ootp forum i think you will see that most people are waiting for the new game which is probably 6-7 months down the road. the game will not have an open beta so i would wait on ootp.

i will mention one point about ootp. i think players who like the concept of a soccer world league tend to like ootp much more than those who don't. i don't!    
baseballfan99

Post by baseballfan99 »

Could some of you other guys give me some help? I keep hearing that OOTP is a big mess, but was hoping people could give me some things they like better about PureSim.
Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 »

S-I-M-P-L-I-C-I-T-Y.  

I was selected to be a Beta Team member for OOTP2006 but was unable to have access to a computer for a period of time and decided to withdraw from the commitment.  I have tried to get into the new version but it is not fun.  I find that the game is trying to be too much to too many users and the interface was not intuitive.  With that said, the game is making improvements and may be the game of the future.

I actually still prefer OOTP 6.5 and play it about 50% of the time with the other 50% playing Puresim.  I actually wish that I could have a game that had all the positives of OOTP 6.5 with all the positives of Puresim and have it rolled into one game.  But I feel that with OOTP 6.5 being no longer supported or updated that Puresim fits my needs better ( at least for future use ).

Now for the big answer - what sets it apart from the newer version of OOTP.  With Puresim I downloaded the demo and looked at the interface and without reading any help files or manuals was able to play the game within minutes.  Things that I did not know how to do were easy to figure out and the menu system is very user friendly.  While the game does not have any real features that are not found in other games there is just a feel of real baseball while playing the game.  I love the PSPN pages and the ball flight when playing the game.  The down side is that OOTP does offer many utilites that would make this game much better if the options were here (example - face tool program).  Another nice option in Puresim is the XML file.  While it takes a while to get use to the XML files to modify your league it is easy to do so after a little practice and testing.  In simple terms the game uses the KISS system -    KEEP IT SIMPLE SHAUN.....

OOTP 2006 is an ambitious project that was rushed to the market with a user manual that is over 300 pages long. Plus there is a customization guide also.  So you really need to test out your universes and make correct settings or your league is toast.  I did not expect to have to read so much just to get a simple league started.  Plus I am only interested in fictional setups using US Style baseball and the World Universe system is overkill.

I really did not want to post this here because I feel both companies provide very good products and would not to want to sound like a fanboy to Puresim and a person who does not like OOTP.  It is just that at this time the one I prefer between the new releases is the game created here.  I think that OOTP will have a good game in the future but I don't think the audience for that game is the same as the people who play this game, or OOTP 6.5 in that matter.  I hope this helps somewhat.  I really don't have specific reasons why there is a charm in playing the game, I just enjoy the game.

Steve
Beach23BoyP

Post by Beach23BoyP »

IMO, since the release of the 1.03 patch OOTP is now very good Baseball sim. Yes, it is difficult, but reading Atlas Shrugged was difficult too (Best book I ever read.) OOTP 6.5 just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

However, PureSim is simply a very fun game to play. After a taxing day at the office (or in the field) it's like a cold beer. Refreshing and goes down fast. IOW, it is very easy to play and for some strange reason it becomes an addiction.

Lately, I've been spending all my time with Football Manager 2007 Gold Beta (best soccer text sim ever, 1.6 million copies sold of FM2006). And if anyone thinks OOTP2006 is deep -- they ain't seen nothing yet! Sometimes I think I'm working two jobs!

Anyway, I'm still very interested in PS and I think it's a tremendous BB sim. Buy it.
looneyluden

Post by looneyluden »

This is strictly based on my playstyle which is fictional/manage each game myself, style of play.

The only thing that I thought ootp really had an advantage over puresim was in the play-by-play. But for me that get negated because I don't really read the pbp too much with puresim because of the ballflight animation. There are a list of things that I wish to be in a future version of PS, but after having played ootp 6.5, ootp 2006, and PS2007, PS2007 wins hands down for me.

I click the PS icon and I'm setting my startin lineups in a league game in about 20 seconds flat.

But most of all, this game is just damn fun. With the 3rd party add-ons like logos, stadiums, etc that I downloaded from the talented and generous community here, I have created a thouroughly enjoyable fantasy baseball universe of my own.
Beach23BoyP

Post by Beach23BoyP »

ORIGINAL: looneyluden

But most of all, this game is just damn fun.

I think that is where the "addiction" comes from.
lynchjm24

Post by lynchjm24 »

ORIGINAL: Beach23BoyP
Sometimes I think I'm working two jobs!

This pretty much sums up OOTP 2006 to me. It's not even a game, it's work, and it's not even enjoyable work.

I will never open OOTP 2006 again. I like OOTP 6.5 a lot, and I still play in a 6.5 online league. So it isn't a blind hatred of the other game, the new version just isn't enjoyable at all. It has some pretty cool features, but they don't outweigh all the features that were removed and all the features that don't work.

Puresim is still fun. There are some opportunities for improvement, but they pale in comparision to the fact that 99% of what is in the game works very well and it's still a game, not an unpaid full time job.
akw4572

Post by akw4572 »

Because Shaun listens to his customer. And isn't driven by the almighty buck.
waltwa

Post by waltwa »

you know i think Markus listens to his audience as well and i don't think he is driven by the almighty buck. i think the problem with OOTP is that it has taken a tack towards trying to be a world universe game and there are many supporters of the game who want to go in that direction. there are just so many little problems with ootp and i think they stem from a European slant to an american game. i just don't think Markus really understands baseball and when he listens to the SI audience he gets further away from the american game.

i totally agree also that ootp has become a game that is overly complicated and much like work if you want to do all the silly things that the game is set up to do. having a scout that gives you advance scouting reports on your upcoming opponent is a prime example of something that most people can do without particularly since the only way to utilize it is to play each game in a pitch-by-pitch mode which most players simply don't want to use.

this doesn't mean that puresim is where it should be but it is advancing towards becoming a better game all the time. shaun understands baseball on his own and this means that he is far less likely to stray from the basic model of american baseball.

by the way i have a master's degree in european history so i don't have any axe to grind against europe. it's just that baseball is an American institution and trying to model it on Soccer is a major mistake just as trying to model soccer on baseball would be a mistake.
akw4572

Post by akw4572 »

ORIGINAL: waltwa

you know i think Markus listens to his audience as well and i don't think he is driven by the almighty buck. i think the problem with OOTP is that it has taken a tack towards trying to be a world universe game and there are many supporters of the game who want to go in that direction. there are just so many little problems with ootp and i think they stem from a European slant to an american game. i just don't think Markus really understands baseball and when he listens to the SI audience he gets further away from the american game.

i totally agree also that ootp has become a game that is overly complicated and much like work if you want to do all the silly things that the game is set up to do. having a scout that gives you advance scouting reports on your upcoming opponent is a prime example of something that most people can do without particularly since the only way to utilize it is to play each game in a pitch-by-pitch mode which most players simply don't want to use.

this doesn't mean that puresim is where it should be but it is advancing towards becoming a better game all the time. shaun understands baseball on his own and this means that he is far less likely to stray from the basic model of american baseball.

by the way i have a master's degree in european history so i don't have any axe to grind against europe. it's just that baseball is an American institution and trying to model it on Soccer is a major mistake just as trying to model soccer on baseball would be a mistake.

Why was it taken to SI to make it a "world" game???? There were many, many people who feared what the merger would bring, and IMO, those fears have come true. OOTP HAS become more and more unlike the American baseball game.
waltwa

Post by waltwa »

it was taken to SI because SI is a company that puts out a great soccer game and is probably a good company. however markus being a european and not truly understanding baseball like those of us who grew up with it moved into an environment that took him further away from the american model.

when i first started playing ootp in the first edition there were expressions in the pbp that made you shake your head. then when i found out that markus was german i understood more about some of the text. the fact that markus is with SI is not really the problem. the problem is that markus has to realize that in the gaming areas he has to listen to people who understand baseball rather than soccer.

there is another problem area that markus has strayed into. realism is something we all strive for in games. but there comes a point when realism can become tedious. rarely has this ever happened in baseball sims, in fact, ootp is the only time i have seen it in a computer game. it has a tendency to occur in football sims. TCY (the college years) is a great example of this. you can get so bogged down in trivial issues with this game that it is unplayable after a short time. i often hear that FM is a very deep game. i have never played and it may be deep and a great game but depth does not always translate well to all games. i was a football coach for many years. it is a game of great depth and i enjoyed every minute of that great depth coaching in real life but i don't necessarily want depth in sims if it amounts to tedium and results in a loss of fun. this is a fine line and really has to be watched. puresim and bm are games that are fun and are moving forward. ootp is a game that is not fun and is a game that has to move backwards.
Beach23BoyP

Post by Beach23BoyP »

ORIGINAL: akw4572
ORIGINAL: waltwa

Why was it taken to SI to make it a "world" game???? There were many, many people who feared what the merger would bring, and IMO, those fears have come true. OOTP HAS become more and more unlike the American baseball game.

I'm not sure I agree with all that. The biggest problem with OOTP as I see it is the "difficulty in setting up a Baseball universe". It is extremely time consuming and somewhat confusing for the average player.

My problem is sleep. Both Football Manager 2006/2007 and OOTP2006 are so deep in depth that one can easily get to caught up in the exhaustive "ratings" and the overwhelming amount of data. Often, after playing SI Games I have a really hard time turning off my mind and relaxing.

This is "NOT" to say that PureSim doesn't cover the basic (or even many advanced) needs of the BB text simmer! However, because PS has quite a bit more of a "graphical" presentation to its look, it doesn't seem to be nearly as mentally taxing and the other too are.

Therefore, you can more easily kick back and enjoy a cold beer (or a hot chocolate) and enjoy a nice game before slumber. Plus, the "stats presentation" in PS is leaps and bounds ahead of OOTP.

Finally, I do enjoy both FM2006/2007 and OOTP2006 a lot. I always seem to have to play all of these text sims each year. But, for the last three years or so -- I always find my way back to PureSim. Plus, the older I get (56), there more sleep I seem to need!

Anyway, I sure hope many OOTPers will buy PS and support Shaun. Markus needs the competition! And PS is addicting.

Return to “PureSim Baseball”