Some of the things that make no sense

Crown of Glory: Europe in the Age of Napoleon, the player controls one of the crowned potentates of Europe in the Napoleonic Era, wielding authority over his nation's military strategy, economic development, diplomatic relations, and social organization. It is a very thorough simulation of the entire Napoleonic Era - spanning from 1799 to 1820, from the dockyards in Lisbon to the frozen wastes of Holy Mother Russia.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

Rapier117

Some of the things that make no sense

Post by Rapier117 »

Playing as France (1792 scenario, 3000 glory... as wanted long game)

1. Had beaten Austria, Prussia and Russia. All of Europe was concerned at the rise of France... I received the message saying period of enforced peace with Austria was over but I was still unable to declare war on them. Why?

2. Received the message saying Spain had broken their alliance with me. I was unable to declare war with them either. Why?

3. I built 2 fleets in the Med to send up and sort out the English fleets. The fleets are unable to move together. Why?

4. When my fleets got to the sea zone to the west of the English Channel I moved them both into the channel together. One fleet moves and engages both english fleets. I asked the second fleet to reinforce. Only 6 of the reinforcing fleet could be positioned as 6 stayed in the rout area. In a close battle I lost.... losing 106 ships to the ensuring chase. Why am I unable to position all reinforcing ships for battle?

5. While moving into the channel I engaged and sank several british merchants. My income was around 1100 and suddenly dropped to 600.... How? Why? I had severed all trade with England many years before. Is their a summary report showing what is generating my income so I can have some idea why it reduced by half?

6. Why does the game persist with large numbers of small 1 or 2 unit actions with minimal detailed battles with more than 8 units per side? Being at war with Russia fighting single cossack units is an exercise in frustration rather giving a feeling of a world at war.

I could mention all the bugs but I suspect most have been discussed before now.
Clausel

RE: Some of the things that make no sense

Post by Clausel »

Re 1 and 2: To declare war with a country you must not be allied, in automatic peace, at peace agreed by treaty or at war with a country that your proposed opponent is at war with. In your examples its probably the last one.

3. Like armies fleets move separately and so each will be tested against their usually different initiative ratings for strategic movement which could delay one.

4. Quick battles do have limits for the number of active reinforcements the rest start in the rout section - I think!

5. Click the economy tab (appears when cursor placed near top of information box on strategic map) for a detailed report.

6. It can be frustrating when facing masses of detached units. But at least you will keep winning if your main forces are concentrated and will wipe them out more quickly if you block all their retreat options. The use of Russian Cossacks is not unhistorical (eg see their impact in 1813) although they are probably too far ranging - unlike the unrealistic advance of Spanish guerrillas.

Rapier117

Post by Rapier117 »

Thanks for your reply, Clausel.

Unfortunately CoG has been put back in its box [:(] Too many hours wasted on campaigns that suddenly screw up for no reason I can determine. The game refuses to tell me what I've done wrong and I am unwilling to start again with the strong chance it will just screw me over again.

I am not happy with left click to move. Most games use right click to move these days. Left click is to target a unit. If you must use the different way around then you must put in an undo button.

Mouse-over inspecting of units (and anything under the cursor) is the standard these days saving any need to even click at all.

The option to declare war should be present. When you click it the game should pop-up a window telling me why I'm unable to currently. If its an inforced peace it should tell when the enforced peace will run out. The way it is currently just leaves you wondering whats happening....

2 Fleets should be able to move together.... pure and simple. The fact that ship actions are always quick battles makes this an absolute must. Being forced to quick battle and then not being able to use all reinforcements is just wrong.

Every battle should be at my option of quick or detailed battle. Explain to me why I don't get the choice to play trivial battles if I wish?

The game needs a way of playing tactical battles independent of the strategic map. You should be able to pickup the game and start a quick tactical battle versus the AI any time. The tactical battles were 90% of the fun for me.

Capturing a province and set it to create a militia unit in 1 turn to occupy the provinces city. Save the game and go to bed. Next time I load the game up I am now creating a cavalry unit that will take 3 turns.

If I select a building to make and unselect it directly after why don't I get the resources back? Surely the order hasn't been sent until I end turn? It makes no sense to not get the resources back if no order had ever been given. Same goes for making units.

Bleh.... I'm rambling cyas around.
Clausel

Post by Clausel »

Thanks Rapier117. Yes, the game is an acquired taste that requires a long and time consuming learning curve but its really enjoyable when you can make sense of it. Quick battles irritate me too but I usually find sufficient detailed battles emerge later in play.

We are told that another patch is planned which might pick up some of the FOF improvements that can be easily translated across but I guess more fundamental changes would need a release of COG2 - if it ever happens. Possibilities for the latter discussed in the forum have included an improved naval module and the option of stand alone detailed land battles.

I haven't noticed the sort of problems with the building unit saves that you mentioned and I have been using 1.2.26. Have you tried re-installing?

If you do return to playing COG note that enforced peace periods are listed in the summary bar which overlays the strategic map when you press tab. It shows relations with your country and others or by placing the cursor over a nations flag in the bar, relations with that country and others.

wonkguy

Post by wonkguy »

If they ever issue another thing for this game they need to issue a finalized manual.  V 1.2.26 is ok as is, but I paid $40 or $50 bucks for this game (can't remember) and then I had to pay to get the manual printed and that manual was far from sufficient. 
1LTRambo

Post by 1LTRambo »

ORIGINAL: wonkguy

If they ever issue another thing for this game they need to issue a finalized manual.  V 1.2.26 is ok as is, but I paid $40 or $50 bucks for this game (can't remember) and then I had to pay to get the manual printed and that manual was far from sufficient. 

You are on the money wonkguy about the crappy manuel. Basically the manuel rehashes the tutorial which does not give much information beyond basic gameplay. The nuances are hard to learn and can be frustrating when things seem to go wrong for no apparent reason.
Matthew T. Rambo

Return to “Crown of Glory”