G5 Liz in CHS - which unit?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

jrcar

G5 Liz in CHS - which unit?

Post by jrcar »

G'day all, just about produced enough G5 Liz to form a new unit... but can't find a unit that can upgrade to it (PDU on in CHS). Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Rob
AE BETA Breaker
wdolson

RE: G5 Liz in CHS - which unit?

Post by wdolson »

I thought I saw the Liz as an upgrade option for the Betty? Maybe I'm wrong about that. I don't have the game open, so I'm not sure.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

That sounds right, it is a naval bomber so Betty/Nell units should upgrade to it.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
jrcar

Post by jrcar »

Thats what I thought... but nothing will let me... do I need an intermediate upgrade first?
AE BETA Breaker
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I did some searching and found this:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=876062&mpage=1&key=Liz%2Cupgrade&#876080

I just checked and those two units do upgrade to the Liz.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
timtom

Post by timtom »

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft
ORIGINAL: schwartzkie

A couple of question about the CHS mod and changes to Japanese Production:

1) Adv Nik and Adv Mit engines = Nissan and Toyoda on the production screen?

Yes.
2) Nissan and Toyoda are shown as being produced in 01/42 of the game, (0) x 20 each on the production screen but none are going into the "pool" is there a date where these are turned on? Why are none going into the pool?

Not sure, they should in theory just produce like any other engine. What date are you up to? A factory of 20 only has about a 2/3rds chance of producing an engine every day.
3) Is there anyway to upgrade to the Liz? I can produce them, but cant find any squadrons that can upgrade to them.

G1/Takao Daitai & G2/Takao Daitai (start at Takao) are scheduled to upgrade to the G5N Liz. Once one of these groups is upgraded all the IJN level bomber groups will also have the option.

Cute [8|] - another reason for me to stay away from PDU's...
Where's the Any key?

jrcar

Post by jrcar »

Excellent! Thanks. i did a search but didn't find this.

Cheers

Rob
AE BETA Breaker
Yakface

Post by Yakface »

Once you upgrade one unit to the Liz, it then becomes an option for all other Nell/Betty armed squadrons?

Fantastic. I'll be building a big pool of Liz's and swapping between Liz/Torp bomber (nell or Betty) depending upon the circumstance. It'll give great flexibility
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Except that Liz does not carry torpedoes and has quite small bomb load for big plane. Very durable aircraft, though. For anti-shipping, Betty is still viable.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Not to mention Liz takes four engines. Plus you do need to produce the planes to build that big pool, and I don't think there are any Liz factories at start (I could be wrong on that). I would not convert too many units or you'll run out of engines. Plus, the Liz is no Fortress, they go down almost as fast as Jap 2E planes.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Liz's are great but as Bob says, they really suck the engine pool dry, especially trying to produce large numbers. It's mid January '42 and Martin has already seen my first squadron of Liz's.

Also CHS does not start out with any Liz factories but Saesebo starts out with the capacity to expand into Liz production.

EDIT: and as Sardaukar says they don't carry torpedos which limits their anti-shipping ability compared to Bettys.
Yakface

Post by Yakface »

For naval actions, I agree the Betty and Nell still rule the roost.  However if you want to close an airfield/ground attack in support of troops etc the Liz has got to be a better option (at least for places that are out of Sally/Helen/Lilly range - DEI, South Pac). Nells and Bettys are not good at these mission - they are just not robust enough and represent non-replacable resources (Jap Naval pilots).

I'll build 150 and swap backwards and forwards between torp and heavy bomber depending on the objective.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Yea, while Liz is good option for ground-pounding, it's not something vital to IJ player. Just nice to have as option.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”