When?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

FaneFlugt

RE: When?

Post by FaneFlugt »

Other:
New refrigerator purchased this month, which definitely improves the quality of life. My wife wants a whole new kitchen (est. - $25,000), but that won’t happen until MWIF product 1 is released. As one of my side interests, I have done the layout for the new kitchen with measurements and dimensions for everything. That was needed so we could be sure the new refrigerator would fit into the new floor plan.

Women [:D]

Cyote13_MatrixForum

Post by Cyote13_MatrixForum »

Well I am back from Iraq, and the last time I heard the game was going to be out in 6 months was when I went to kosovo in 2001.  It has been a long wait, but it looks great form everything I have looked at.  Up until my last computer upgade (a post deployment gift from my wife) I still had the last version of CWIF from Chis on my hard drive. 
Good luck
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Cyote13
Well I am back from Iraq, and the last time I heard the game was going to be out in 6 months was when I went to kosovo in 2001.  It has been a long wait, but it looks great form everything I have looked at.  Up until my last computer upgade (a post deployment gift from my wife) I still had the last version of CWIF from Chis on my hard drive. 
Good luck

Welcome to the MWIF development forum, and thank you for your service.

Please comment on everything you see that looks good to you, things that look bad, and add any suggestions you have for the final product. I read everything seriously, and the quality of MWIF is heavily dependent on advice of forum members.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

I noticed that Matrix has this come in the database for the online store (search for WWII Games). So I guess that means it will be out in a day or two? (hee hee)
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

Wow! Just Wow! I thought WiF was dead! Back in 97 me and my friends were all eagerly waiting for the game to come out. We played the demo from Chris and we waited. After a while (years) it became a standing joke about waiting for something good and lately it had started to fade from memory. And you rekindle it!! [:)] [:)][:)]

Bless you Steve! [&o]

Now, how can I help?
PBEMgames played
- Korea 50-51 MV as communist
- Agonia y Victoria xx as Republican
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- The great war xx as Central Powers
- DNO XX as Soviet
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: capitan

Wow! Just Wow! I thought WiF was dead! Back in 97 me and my friends were all eagerly waiting for the game to come out. We played the demo from Chris and we waited. After a while (years) it became a standing joke about waiting for something good and lately it had started to fade from memory. And you rekindle it!! [:)] [:)][:)]

Bless you Steve! [&o]

Now, how can I help?

Well, I am looking for people to help create some write ups for different units. I already have a complete set for all of the air units (1200+) and HQs (57). Terje has done several hundred of the naval units and is working his way through the rest. However, he would be delighted if someone could give him a hand (none of the British naval units have descriptions yet). Or, there are all the other land units. Many of them are famous and 200 to 400 words on some of them would be nice to add. Right now there are large blanks spaces next to: all the German armor units, all the SS units, all the airborne units, all the marine units, all the infantry corps/armies from the USSR, China, ... and so on. For land units, only the HQs have text at the present.

This falls into the category of glitz as far as I am concerned and as such I am not doing the research or writeups on these. I am doing the formatting (paragraphs and the like) but that is fairly mindless stuff and it lets me read everything so that I am aware of what is being presented to the purchasers. These will be simple TXT files that the players can modify on their own. I am not concerned about having a complete set of writeups, since I believe the player community will probably want to enhance this aspect of the product. The design is intended to facilitate that. Nonetheless, I would like to have a few writeups done for some of the land units.
Steve

jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Bless you Steve! [&o]

Now, how can I help?

Well, I am looking for people to help create some write ups for different units. I already have a complete set for all of the air units (1200+) and HQs (57). Terje has done several hundred of the naval units and is working his way through the rest. However, he would be delighted if someone could give him a hand (none of the British naval units have descriptions yet). Or, there are all the other land units. Many of them are famous and 200 to 400 words on some of them would be nice to add. Right now there are large blanks spaces next to: all the German armor units, all the SS units, all the airborne units, all the marine units, all the infantry corps/armies from the USSR, China, ... and so on. For land units, only the HQs have text at the present.

This falls into the category of glitz as far as I am concerned and as such I am not doing the research or writeups on these. I am doing the formatting (paragraphs and the like) but that is fairly mindless stuff and it lets me read everything so that I am aware of what is being presented to the purchasers. These will be simple TXT files that the players can modify on their own. I am not concerned about having a complete set of writeups, since I believe the player community will probably want to enhance this aspect of the product. The design is intended to facilitate that. Nonetheless, I would like to have a few writeups done for some of the land units.

Just shoot me a list on what you units you need and I will be your humble servant. I prefer landunits over ships though but I am not difficult to convince :-)
PBEMgames played
- Korea 50-51 MV as communist
- Agonia y Victoria xx as Republican
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- The great war xx as Central Powers
- DNO XX as Soviet
Shannon V. OKeets

Will do.
Steve

Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

Just shoot me a list on what you units you need and I will be your humble servant. I prefer landunits over ships though but I am not difficult to convince :-)

Hi Capitan,
When I wrote up the air units and HQs I developed a few simple guidelines to ensure consistency between the unit descriptions. This will be important if we get two or more people sharing the work. When you're ready to begin can we have a chat about the best way to approach the task?

Thanks for volunteering to do this work.
/Greyshaft
hazpak

Post by hazpak »

Hi All, very long time lurker here (try since this progect began) i've finally surfaced to ask if i can be of any help with any unit descriptions? I played WiF only a few times back in 3rd edition and was lucky enough to stumble on this project when i went looking into updating my copy to the final edition (something i never got around to doing [:o])

Hazpak
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: hazpak

Hi All, very long time lurker here (try since this progect began) i've finally surfaced to ask if i can be of any help with any unit descriptions? I played WiF only a few times back in 3rd edition and was lucky enough to stumble on this project when i went looking into updating my copy to the final edition (something i never got around to doing [:o])

Hazpak

Yes.

The air and HQ units have been done. So have many of the naval units and we have (I think) 3 people working on the rest of them.

However, Capitan (Jesper Pehrson) has just started working (solo) on the non-HQ land units and there are hundreds of them to do. Greyshaft is coordinating things at the moment, so send both Capitan and Greyshaft a personal message (PM) and they will get you started.

Thank you for volunteering.
Steve

FreddaH

Post by FreddaH »

Wow, couldn't believe it when I was told about this. I used to play this game with capitan and we were eagerly awaiting the computer game release that was promised to come out in the late 90's. This version seems like it's going to be everything the table-top game was and more. [/align] [/align]I'd like to help out in any way I could as well. Anything I can do, just send me a mail.[/align] [/align]/Fredrik[/align]
The greatest mistake man ever made was to believe in his own divinity
bredsjomagnus

Post by bredsjomagnus »

Hi! Im new in this forum but have looked around a bit. Im really looking forward to this game. I have the boardgame but havn´t played it as much as I want (don´t like to play solo). It´s a great game and I would really like to help if there is anything I can do.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: bredsjomagnus

Hi! Im new in this forum but have looked around a bit. Im really looking forward to this game. I have the boardgame but havn´t played it as much as I want (don´t like to play solo). It´s a great game and I would really like to help if there is anything I can do.

How about the AI? [:D]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
macgregor

Post by macgregor »

If Steve says 1Q/07 I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'll admit I'm upset that the AI has to trump a playable internet game. This doesn't make sense to me...with all the WiF players out there. But that's the way it is. Still there's no one I know with a better, more methodic way to play the game. He's never been beaten. Perhaps once, though it was his teammates follies that I feel dragged their side down. I know this: If he does make an AI play remotely like he does, watch out.

The game looks breathtakingly good. The work shows.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: macgregor
If Steve says 1Q/07 I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'll admit I'm upset that the AI has to trump a playable internet game. This doesn't make sense to me...with all the WiF players out there. But that's the way it is. Still there's no one I know with a better, more methodic way to play the game. He's never been beaten. Perhaps once, though it was his teammates follies that I feel dragged their side down. I know this: If he does make an AI play remotely like he does, watch out.

The game looks breathtakingly good. The work shows.

For those of you who don't know this, my involvement in MWIF is all Greg's fault. He asked me to look into it in June 2005, and a few weeks later I was project manager. So you can credit/blame him, depending on how you feel about the project at the moment. Oh, and the humorous part of this is that Greg wanted me to push to get the game published ASAP. I regret that I have not been able to achieve that goal for him.

Without looking at the code in detail, as of July 2005, I thought this would take 10-12 months.[8|] I've looked at the code more closely since then.[:D] For example, I just spent over 3 months: (1) bringing the code base up to 2006 compatibility (from 2003), (2) restructuring the player interface modules to support the use of Theme Engine, and (3) revising virtually every component of all 100+ forms to the new player interface theme.

The AI is going to take time but it is only 20% of what I calculate still needs to be done. More revisions to the player interface will take the same amount of time. I'll give a longer report on this at month's end.
Steve

wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

Steve,

1) I wish for you to complete this project by next week.

2) Wishes aside, I look forward to a solid game upon release.

3) Motto: "We will serve no MWIF before its time"

Summary: Do it right and I believe the the wait will be worth it.

Flipper

Flipper
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

ORIGINAL: bredsjomagnus

Hi! Im new in this forum but have looked around a bit. Im really looking forward to this game. I have the boardgame but havn´t played it as much as I want (don´t like to play solo). It´s a great game and I would really like to help if there is anything I can do.

Welcome to the Forum

Help is always welcome. Over the last fortnight we've absorbed five new players into the beta-test team and an additional three into writing unit descriptions. That's put a bit of a strain on our welcome wagon as we try to determine everyones strengths and weaknesses and get them bedded down to meaningful work. However there is still plenty to do and there's always space for more hands at the pump. Did you have any specialty you want to use in the team? Knowledge of History? Programming skills? Desire to do proofreading?

/Greyshaft
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

For those of you who don't know this, my involvement in MWIF is all Greg's fault. He asked me to look into it in June 2005, and a few weeks later I was project manager. So you can credit/blame him, depending on how you feel about the project at the moment.
Thank you Greg [&o], thank you for bringing Steve to CWiF, that became MWiF.

Steve, were you knowing Greg from before ?
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Froonp
For those of you who don't know this, my involvement in MWIF is all Greg's fault. He asked me to look into it in June 2005, and a few weeks later I was project manager. So you can credit/blame him, depending on how you feel about the project at the moment.
Thank you Greg [&o], thank you for bringing Steve to CWiF, that became MWiF.

Steve, were you knowing Greg from before ?
Greg was "A worthy opponent" when I was playing WIF weekly back in Philadelphia.
Steve

Return to “World in Flames”