Maps from BMP's for SP2;SP3;SPwaw;SPww2;SPmbt.

Trade tips and tricks, workarounds maps, and graphics mods. Why certain scenarios or campaigns are favorites, or how to improve stinkers. Attach your work to share/critique.

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

MindSpy

Maps from BMP's for SP2;SP3;SPwaw;SPww2;SPmbt.

Post by MindSpy »

Hello.
I was interested in using my Chlanda, Ectizen and graphics programs to make maps for each of the SP versions running from SP2/3/WAW/WW2/MBT.
Some individuals already have experience with WAW maps from bmp's and as well as knowledge useful for implementing Chlanda edits.
If you wanted to learn or already have knowledge to share please write to me at, mailto:danstudent_ubco@yahoo.ca
I can then email you any of the necessary files you may be in need of. For instance SP2/3 blank maps; Chlanda or Ectizen updated programs.
On weekends I will update a page and send you the latest findings by others or myself:-

http://www.geocities.com/eyespymind
(top of the page)

Why learn or use these programs? Essentially a bmp image made into a map eliminate the need to go hex by hex as in the games own editor. As well, by using map templates it is possible to make roads that allow only 1 or two vehicles as well as other fantastical edits that enhance the comes with the game editor.

Gus
Aliases:
MindSpy
Danstudentvcc
Wild Bill

RE: Maps from BMP's for SP2;SP3;SPwaw;SPww2;SPmbt.

Post by Wild Bill »

Good luck with your project. Learning and growing in the game is always fun!

WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
MindSpy

One of the God's of SP.

Post by MindSpy »

Hello.
Nice to hear from one of the more active God's of SP.
Actually, the project is less about learning and more about a
need to replace material I lost during Gigagrad when Partition
Magic was left alone to complete task 3 of 5; having already
safely completed tasks 1 and 2. Well, suddenly it decided to
destroy a 68 Gigabyte partition. It wiped out text, images, scans,
game files etc ... in addition to out of print scans of textbooks I
had managed to get loaned.
Well anyway there's a little something on the end of all that
material that I wanted to play out with my core group of
die-harder SP pbem opponents.
The great thing about it was the chance to do it as well
with SPWW2 and SPWinMBT all from the same maps that
SPWAW was using.

Of course it is no secret that SPWAW was much better
developed. I could only hope for MBT to have received
as much talented a development for the map editor to be
friendly with Fred Chlanda's and Ectizen's fabulous tools.

Anyway now that it is .... just a matter of time.

Gus
AshTray

RE: One of the God's of SP.

Post by AshTray »

sorry for offtop, but i have a problem [:(] I making overview map for SPWAW Multiplayer campaing using Chlanda's WAWmap. the problem is - map saved to .jpeg don't consists any roads [:(]. all objects are present except roads. is it normal?
step by step:
1. load waw map
2. save map image
3. open .jpeg with any image viewer
result - no roads [:(] my heart is broken [:(][:(][:(]
is there any way to solve this problem?
FlashfyreSP

Post by FlashfyreSP »

ORIGINAL: AshTray

sorry for offtop, but i have a problem [:(] I making overview map for SPWAW Multiplayer campaing using Chlanda's WAWmap. the problem is - map saved to .jpeg don't consists any roads [:(]. all objects are present except roads. is it normal?
step by step:
1. load waw map
2. save map image
3. open .jpeg with any image viewer
result - no roads [:(] my heart is broken [:(][:(][:(]
is there any way to solve this problem?

Roads are drawn "on the fly" in the game; there should be a way to identify the road "connections" on the JPEG, but I haven't fooled with it enough to do this type of edit. I've never tried working with the Image function of WAW Map.
ImageImage
AshTray

Post by AshTray »

[:(]
AshTray

Post by AshTray »

any other opinions on this topic?
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

AshTray:

I've got another way of getting a .jpeg of the map that include the roads. Let me see what I can find  .........................................................

here we go, I've just copied some instructions I posted some time ago at the Depot.

[font=verdana]
Create a New Folder on your desktop – Call it MAP

Google, Download and install GhostView and GhostScript. (If the link doesn’t work, or you can’t find the programs let me know. I’ve still got the .zip’s on my HD somewhere. We’ll figure out some way of getting them to you.)
I downloaded Goblin’s ™ map226.zip from the thread in question, but I only unzipped the .dat file to my desktop (Side Note – all you need is the .dat file from any scenario to make this work, except for PBEM games – they’re encripted. You gotta get to the file somehow before the PBEM is set-up)
Find and run MapThing. Click on the "…" to the right of the text field labeled "Scenario", located in the upper left region. Navigate to your desktop and find the pzmap226.dat file. Now minefield advises that we should leave the Draw Features and Sliders alone ……………………. I say BAH! Play around with it …………………… it’s your map.

Click the Load button.

Now here’s at tricky part that got me for awhile ……………………. "We need to tell it (Mapthing) what we want the file called and where it will end up. In the text field labeled "PDF" (located in the upper left region of Mapthing), enter in a folder THAT ALREADY EXISTS – the little button to the right of this field with the three dots doesn’t work on any of my copies of Mapthing. I had to type in the whole Goddamned thing (mine is C:\Documents and Settings\Major Mess’s Mighty War Machine\Desktop\MAP\) plus type in a file name ending in .pdf THAT DOES NOT ALREADY EXIST (minefield’s emphasis – I called my map - map.pdf – so long story becoming even longer, in the end the PDF field read like this "C:\Documents and Settings\Major Mess’s Mighty War Machine\Desktop\MAP\map.pdf"

Click the Save button.

Exit Mapthing, open up your MAP folder
Open Ghostview, drag your map.pdf into the program. Click file->convert. Make sure the Device field reads jpeg. In the pull-down box use Variable Page Size. Set the resolution to 600. Click OK and in the file name you need to input a file name and it’s extension. I dropped it into the MAP folder on my desktop, and I called the file "Map.jpeg"

Exit Ghostview.

Open IrfanView (if you don’t have this free program yet – give your head a shake, then download and install) Drag the .jpeg file into the program, click Image->Resize/Resample. All I did then was click the Half button, then OK. The IrfanViewer windows gets smaller, so does the image, click save as… (I called it "Two Virgins battleground.jpeg") and you’re done.

I've done this for most of my PBEM's - it takes waaaaaaay longer to explain how it's done that to actually do it.

Any Questions .......................... just holler.

cheers

Major Mess

[/font]
Click below. You know you want to!!

AshTray

Post by AshTray »

thanks for reply. i used mapthing but it's maps are not as preaty as WAWmap's are :) as i understand MapThing is the only way to create map image with roads? not very good for me :(
another question - is it possible to convert SPWAW maps to WinSPWW2?

Return to “SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns”