Question Regarding Production

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

angelus512

Question Regarding Production

Post by angelus512 »

I very much hope this happens to everybody or else I'm seriously wasting turns/effort.

In the last game I won then by resource point victory (caught me by surprise) lucky because Russia had just declared war and I had only 8 tanks or so on the East Front due to what i'm about to elaborate on.

Many times say 1 out of every 3 turns on average sometimes 3 turns in a row I could barely build anything say 5 supply trucks at most. Oh I run this game on auto-supply and not advanced rules.

Anyway I've got loads of resources, according to the computer in the Production Summary screen I have 45 resources and around 100 "pool resources".
Now when I go to the Production Phase Germany and all its territories usually have around 38-48 factories give or take agreed?

Now its my understanding that providing you have equal or more resources than you have factories or at any one time a larger "pool" of resources which to my understanding can be used in lieu of physical resources if you say lose them after a battle. Sort of spare fuel in the tank so to speak.

So in short I understand that if I have 45 physical resources (lets forget the pool of 100 or so for now) and say 38 factories for all intents and purposes EVERY SINGLE turn I should have full use of those factories unless they are already building for example 38 units.
Putting population aside as I'm aware that each unit costs 2 pop on its final turn of production I manage that carefully.

Anywho know that i've demonstrated I hope that I at least have an idea about whats going on could somebody please tell me whats up with me being unable to use my factories most turns?
On this one particular 3 turn duration every time I went to the production phrase France, Germany and a few other locations would always read
3/0 in the factory marker area obviously in Germany more like 10/0 but you get the point.

So i'm thinking ok....i've just got tons of units on the build already so the factories are occupied....but no. My TOTAL amount of units being built at that stage was like 5 units at best 2 subs, 2 tanks and an INF.
So seriously whats going on?
Because for about half the game I never seem to have use of Western France's factories and the rest of Vichy for a unhealthy amount of time.
And yes I repair everything to full health.
And the population points are never in the negative.

So i'm sort of really baffled about whats going on.
christian brown

RE: Question Regarding Production

Post by christian brown »

Perhaps your factories are being bombed incredibly heavily (you only get to produce normally out of a factory the turn after it has been damaged to level 2, so even after you repair the factory at damage level 2, nothing will be produced there until the next turn, of course, if it gets bombed again, you´ll have to wait again and so on.)  This is pretty much the only thing I can think of to explain your production problems.  When you repair things, do you have tons of factories to repair each turn?  The fact that you mention France and W Germany in particular makes me think you are being bombed bythe WAllies.....Let me know if this is not the case.....
"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Perhaps your factories are being bombed incredibly heavily (you only get to produce normally out of a factory the turn after it has been damaged to level 2, so even after you repair the factory at damage level 2, nothing will be produced there until the next turn, of course, if it gets bombed again, you´ll have to wait again and so on.)

This does defintely happen in A World Divided, but does it happen in WAW, I just can't recall but Ithink it was not the case, I'll check out.

One question are you investing directly in the R&D Screen, instead of buying beaks in the production screen and then assigning them. If so you might have spent all the production without noticing. This might be the problem since the game assigns factories for the production of beaks and probably uses W France and E France better than W Germany since those regions can't produce units for Germany.

I never had the problems you are stating[&:]
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Timmeh

Post by Timmeh »

perhaps you are doing research first and draining your production that way? or like Christian states, needing to wait for the next turn after repair.

it sounds like your adding to the R&D screen first though, as a rule you should take control of R&D spending by allocating them yourself from the build screen and use your conquored nations (like France) for research only after you've made sure of making use of Germany's population cap.
angelus512

Post by angelus512 »

Well to clarify its gotten to ridiculous proportions now. War with Russia started about 3 turns ago, perhaps 4. Anyways for those 3-4 turns I've not been able to build more than was already in the Build Que (4 tanks, 2 subs, 1 fighter).

Now in the Build Screen what I saw for those 3-4 turns when All Production is selected rather than say North Italy but ALL PRODUCTION it read 100/78 for resource icon and 52/0 for factory and obviously population box shows nothing because it never does in the All Production screen.

Now all my factories are repaired, sure I get bombed but we are talking once every 3 turns or so and usually only 1 factory gets knocked. So no thats not the answer.
Needless to say its gotten so bad that Russia is inside Czech Republic now with 10 tanks and I WOULD have been able to push them towards Moscow if I had of been able to bloody well build something.

I should also note that I am running patch 1040 and using Franco's Alliance 2.4 which i noticed states compatible with patch 1080(or something like that) and higher. So technically my patch is not compatible with Franco's mod but it runs and I figured considering as it only changes dat files then whatever patch ur running...whatever.

But I will say I never noticed this problem so rampant before Franco's Alliance. Infact on the first turn as Germany I might add I can't build anything LOL
Not until about turn 3 am I allowed to build things.

I swear its bizzare every 3 turns or so my Factory Points will go through the roof where i can use all 48 factory points.
So I build usually 18 supply to make up for 3 turns of lack there of....6 tanks, 4 inf, 2 artillery, say 4 research and the usual stuff.
Next 3 turns....48/0 factory ability even when I never used up all the original points available to me in the first place.
I've got to be missing something here.
I'd take screen shots but this keyboard for some obscure reason doesn't have the print screen function. Unless somebody knows a shortcut key like say ALT+F7 for example.
angelus512

Post by angelus512 »

Timmeh you make a point about the beakers though and the game auto-assigning some research if you don't.
Because I never usually build beakers myself because I noticed after a while that some turns there would simply be say 40 odd points of research in the window when I hadn't actually built beakers so after a while i just stopped building beakers personally.

Are you saying that the computer will use up EVERY available resource point against my wish every turn unless I manually build a beaker (thereby telling the computer I want only 1 beaker of research which i assume to be 5 research points) rather than letting the computer burn all my production?

Timmeh

Post by Timmeh »

1 beaker is 1 research point, 1 supply production point is 5 little supply trucks on the map.

bottom line, if you do your research last each turn you wont have this problem. I simply mention the beakers as using that method allows control of where the production is allocated from.

christian brown

Post by christian brown »

Perhaps you are using all your production on tech inadvertantly or perhaps the patch you DLed is not compatible (every three turns to produce sounds like poor old China, lol!)  Try as Timmeh suggested and build first and then carefully tech up until you see that the number next to the factory icon is 0, do not tech up beyond that. If you are not bombed and you are not assigning all your production to tech, then this is probably a patch compatibility problem.  Also, check and make sure that your units on the build screen do not have a red number under them, it must be black in order for it to advance on the track, otherwise it is paused (likely because you used all your production for tech and the computer paused all your units) Hmmmm. That may well be the ticket, I have never heard of such a "bug" before.  It could also explain why you are getting some production out, as your damaged units have not been paused, they will continue to come out.
"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Perhaps your factories are being bombed incredibly heavily (you only get to produce normally out of a factory the turn after it has been damaged to level 2, so even after you repair the factory at damage level 2, nothing will be produced there until the next turn, of course, if it gets bombed again, you´ll have to wait again and so on.)

This does defintely happen in A World Divided, but does it happen in WAW, I just can't recall but Ithink it was not the case, I'll check out

Confirmed in WAW you repair the factories you start producing right away.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

All production points from factories are generated before the German player turn. So when you repair a factory, you have to wait until your next turn to get production points (assuming it is not damaged again by then). It's always been this way in WaW and AWD.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
AstroBlues

Post by AstroBlues »

I have the same problems in prduction. Seems like there are only 2 or 3 or 4 points you can build with each turn for Germany. Do you use the number to the left or to the right of the slash. One time I built more than the number on the right on the factory screen and the number went into negatives. Also, seems like by the time you build supply, which I can never build enough, and then research, there is no points left for production of units. Can some one help? Ron

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”