Can you fill in the gaps on research rules?

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

Protaganist

Can you fill in the gaps on research rules?

Post by Protaganist »

I know most of the research rules for world standard and below but I don't have the definitive formulas for world standard + 1 and for H. Bomber Evasion and Land Attack.

For world standard and below, listed research cost is 5 + (# of units)/5 with all fractions rounded up. * Note that # of units includes built units you control, frozen units, units in the build queue, and units on hold in the build queue with equal weight.

If your researched value is 0, you can spend 1, if it is 1, you can spend 2, if it is 2+, you can spend 3.

There is a chance that when your research cost falls on a fraction, it could be the lower number.

This chance is equal to 100% - fractional%. So 2/5 = 40% => 100% - 40% = 60% chance of rounding down.

You can spend up to 1 more than listed cost of your technology, which this extra 1 carrying over (2 carry over if you also have a rounding down).

The benefit of a carry over is that you start ahead on the research spending scale (can spend 2 instead of 1, since value is 1 instead of 0 for instance).

With all that, my questions are:

What is the formula for listed research cost for world standard + x?
What are the spending maximums by current value at world standard + 1, 2, 3?
What is the spending maximum pattern for H. Bomber Evasion and Land Attack?
Do attribute values over 10 actually mean anything?
Protaganist

RE: Can you fill in the gaps on research rules?

Post by Protaganist »

Boy am I embarassed. I finally found the 1.200 manual by looking in the Matrix games directory and it answers most of my questions on page 76 and 77.

For world standard +1, you can spend 2 if it is sitting at 0, 4 if it is sitting at 1, and 6 if it sitting at 2+. That part I had figured out. What I didn't quite have figured were the next two parts.

For world standard + n and above, you max out at n + 1. So at n = 2, you max at 3 (a big drop from 6).... but you also start at 3 (you can spend 3 at 0, 3 at 1, 3 at 2+). Also remember that research cost is pretty much (n+1)*(base cost) for world standard + n. The part I still don't get is that it doesn't come out with quite whole number multiples so the cost includes fractional parts and doesn't seem to do the rounding as world standard and below (I think) since the fraction is already built in now.

For Heavy Bombers, their spending formula is n + 1 at 0, 2*(n + 1) at 1, and 3*(n + 1) at 2+ for world standard + n.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

No need to feel embarassed. I'm glad you found the info you were looking for. You can thank Sgt. Rice for putting together the 1.200 manual. If someone can write up how one gets the 1.200 manual, I'll sticky it so it's more obvious to forum readers.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Protaganist

Post by Protaganist »

The 1.200 manual (pdf) is in the Manuals subdirectory within the GGWaW install directory (c:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's World at War\ by default).  It is called "WaW MANUAL 1.200" and all the red text within is an update from the first manual. 

The manuals that are linked from the Gary Grigsby's World at War Program Group are also found in this directory and are called "GGWAW_Manual_[EBOOK]" and "GGWAW_Manual_[PRESS_USLETTER]".  All manuals are in PDF format, but the Ebook version has bookmarks for the table of contents.  The latter two don't have rules changes and bug fixes from all patches from 1.033 to 1.200 though.

I guess the instructions would be something like that.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”