Any news?

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

jchastain

RE: Any news?

Post by jchastain »

ORIGINAL: David Heath

David -
Let me just be sure I have this correct. The priority is TAOW, then Battleground, then Campaign. So we are likely 2 years away from seeing the rerelease of this title. Is that correct? Clearly I think we were hoping we would see it a lot sooner, but I must say it is far easier to deal with the truth and know this one is out a ways than it is to keep checking back wondering why nothing seems to be happening. Please confirm that intent and thanks for being honest on the priorities.

I don't think anything that David said translates into "two years". My mental fantasy would be the release sometime this summer, say within 4 months.

What about it David? Am I being too optimistic? [&o]

Yes you are a lot closer to where I see things going.

David

It has been almost 2 of the 4 months mentioned and TAOW is not yet released.  For the record, I believe you are doing the right thing with TAOW and I hope you follow the same approach with these other titles.  I would rather have an improved game at Christmas than a retread right now.  But I think it is now safe to assume that we won't see the Campaign Series this summer (and likely not in Fall either).  No need to give a date as I know you do not yet have one.  I'm just stating the obvious and as I said, despite the wait I am pleased with the apparent direction.
hurtzDonut

Post by hurtzDonut »

Please, any news would be appreciated!
"Invader blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubberpants" Invader Zim
vadersson

Post by vadersson »

Hey Gang,

I ran into (I think) David at Gen-Con. Talonsoft had a booth there. So I grilled him on getting these games out. He told me that the campaign series should be out before Christmas. Hopefully they can make it. I did not press him for any other details like enhancements and such, but he did promise XP compatability. Lets just keep our fingers crossed.

See ya,
Duncan
Carrier Rifle Section should be modeled with their Bren guns!
british exil

Post by british exil »

Hi All
So if I understand you all correctly I should be able to play WFII before christmas. I have the version from Talonsoft. Can I patch it up to work on XP or will I have to purchase a matrix version?
I hope not as my christmas list is getting longer and longer.
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Chop_Suey

Post by Chop_Suey »

1st post

Greetings all.

After years of wishing I could have gotten my old WF & EFII games to work again with XP, I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed EFII available through the 'Yahoo games on demand'.  I had the pleasure of being able to play one of my all time favorite PC games again, bringing back memories and battle stratigies from the years of playing SL.  Unfortunatly, Yahoo didn't release the game when they recently changed thier format and it was back to wishing.  Which of course, has led me to find this forum and the hopefully soon to be released Matrix Campaign series.

Having never played Rising Sun, I am looking forward to this release as well as any new updates.  I will be checking these boards frequently with baited breath and hope for sooner rather than later :)

CS
JReb

Post by JReb »

ORIGINAL: Chop_Suey

1st post

Greetings all.

After years of wishing I could have gotten my old WF & EFII games to work again with XP, I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed EFII available through the 'Yahoo games on demand'.  I had the pleasure of being able to play one of my all time favorite PC games again, bringing back memories and battle stratigies from the years of playing SL.  Unfortunatly, Yahoo didn't release the game when they recently changed thier format and it was back to wishing.  Which of course, has led me to find this forum and the hopefully soon to be released Matrix Campaign series.

Having never played Rising Sun, I am looking forward to this release as well as any new updates.  I will be checking these boards frequently with baited breath and hope for sooner rather than later :)

CS

Have you gotten your EF2 to play on your XP machine? If not there is some advice somewhere around here regarding how to install it differently than the usual self-install.
My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!
Chop_Suey

Post by Chop_Suey »

Negetive on the install.  I've tried many times, many different ways, all to no avail.  I'm pretty sure the discs may be too far gone, though I've tried to take care of them, hoping someday to build a Win98 PC just for these games.  I'm sure I can prove myself as hardcore to these games as anyone, I'm just too stupid when it comes to making certain things work on the PC.  If anyone out there has any other recomendations aside from all those listed in these forums, feel free to chime in.  Otherwise, I'll have to continue getting my WWII wargaming fix in other ways until this game is released.

I hate Yahoo[:@]
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Good day, Chop Suey

Read through this and see if it helps.

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forum ... hp?t=20307

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Chop_Suey

Post by Chop_Suey »

Yes, thank you, I have tried this.  I cannot install either game on two different 64b XP PCs.  The installations error out before they finish.  I have also tried copying the files to my hard drive to open with the .exe, but they also error out before completion.  Which is why I am thinking perhaps there may be a problem with the discs themselves, but I don't know for sure.  I've considered buying new discs, but they seem very hard to find and I'm not paying $90.00 to the sharks on ebay,  I'm not that impatient.

As for moving, copying, and altering files in general, I am a noob, so convinced I will botch them completely,  I am reluctant to even try.  I will however continue the vigil of getting all or even just one of these great games working properly on my PC or die trying.[;)]
kc_chiefs

Post by kc_chiefs »

I was able to install the old games just fine using XP64.

Funny enough I cant get Combat Mission II or III to work properly! Newer games, go figure.
Bill Peters
Chop_Suey

Post by Chop_Suey »

ORIGINAL: kc_chiefs

I was able to install the old games just fine using XP64.

Oh, do tell!! So you loaded them up and they worked just fine[&:]

I devote a portion of my online time, everyday, coming here, searching the web, and trying everything I can come up with, to install these games.

So far, nada.

The quest continues...
kc_chiefs

Post by kc_chiefs »

Every system has its own issues I am sure. Mine is graphics. I can load some games but then the graphics card or perhaps the AMD processor isnt compatible with the software.

I take it you have tried running it in the Compatibility modes? That sometimes worked with XP 32 but not well with XP 64.

I hope you get it fixed. I also hope that the old and new games can play the same .bte file because I dont plan on buying the new games unless they are THAT much better than the old.
Bill Peters
Chop_Suey

Post by Chop_Suey »

Yes, I have tried setting the compatability modes to both WIN 95 & 98.  I can get the map editor up, but it doesn't work properly.  Niether scenarios nor the other editors will even open.  I get either an error message or sent back to the desktop.

I've met a software programmer who works for Valve (Half Life, Day of defeat:Source) that offered some help, but he needs a CD and lives in Canada, so that will take some time before it may bare any fruit.

I'm sure that about the time I finally get this figured out, Matrix will be releasing the new game[:(]
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

ORIGINAL: David Heath
David -
Let me just be sure I have this correct. The priority is TAOW, then Battleground, then Campaign. So we are likely 2 years away from seeing the rerelease of this title. Is that correct? Clearly I think we were hoping we would see it a lot sooner, but I must say it is far easier to deal with the truth and know this one is out a ways than it is to keep checking back wondering why nothing seems to be happening. Please confirm that intent and thanks for being honest on the priorities.

I don't think anything that David said translates into "two years". My mental fantasy would be the release sometime this summer, say within 4 months.

What about it David? Am I being too optimistic? [&o]

Yes you are a lot closer to where I see things going.

David

Hmmmm.... it's been a full year since we first started speculating about the timeline on this one. At the time I really did think my 2 year comment was overly pesimistic, but it is amazing how real life intrudes on things and make the absurd into reality. So, where are we? Have we made any real progress over the last year? And do we have a better idea of what the timeline might actually look like?
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

No matter how often it reoccurs, I am always amazed at how many times folks look to these forums for release date predictions only.  Most folks with enough interest in the games to participate in the forums have at lease some idea of how complex the task of bringing a title to market is, yet some still hammer everyone from project managers to playtesters to "do them an favor" and make a best guess and then turn the "favor" around to beat them over the head.  Come on fellow players - get a grip.

This forum has supplied tons of information on the progress of this project over the year.  It has provided a effective conduit for player input into the project and is consistently leveraged as a tool that both informs interested gamers and contributes to the overall quality of the project.  Prognostication is just icing on the cake that most serious gamers enjoy with their morning grain of salt.
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

ORIGINAL: Justascratch

No matter how often it reoccurs, I am always amazed at how many times folks look to these forums for release date predictions only.  Most folks with enough interest in the games to participate in the forums have at lease some idea of how complex the task of bringing a title to market is, yet some still hammer everyone from project managers to playtesters to "do them an favor" and make a best guess and then turn the "favor" around to beat them over the head.  Come on fellow players - get a grip.

This forum has supplied tons of information on the progress of this project over the year.  It has provided a effective conduit for player input into the project and is consistently leveraged as a tool that both informs interested gamers and contributes to the overall quality of the project.  Prognostication is just icing on the cake that most serious gamers enjoy with their morning grain of salt.

While I agree that it is unproductive to "beat them over the head", I do not think it is unreasonable to ask about the progress of an announced title. When you announce you are producing something, the logical question that will follow is "when will it be available"? When Intel announced a new CPU, that question arises. When Microsoft announces a new operating system, they get that question. If the United States government were to announce a new national park, you can bet your last dollar that some reporter will ask when it was expected to open. Any half competent business knows that when you announce something, people will ask for target availability dates. So I cannot accept that it is unreasonable for us to ask the same thing of an announced game - the true oddity would be if we didn't ask.

And I also accept that things change. It is the nature of the beast. But again, when it is obvious that things have changed I think it is reasonable to request an update. There was a suggestion (certainly not a commitment but rather a very rough projection) that it might take in the neighborhood of 4 months and it has been more than double that and nearly triple that. I can't believe that it is unreasonable to ask for an update. It gets back to the first point, when you have an announced product on the horizon it shouldn't be a surprise that there are questions regarding its progress and requests for updates on timelines - especially when it becomes evident that previous comments will not come to fruition.
asiaticus

Post by asiaticus »

Some of the reorganization to make it easily expandable and other improvement items have been finished so hopefully we can wrap things up soon.  I am looking forward to making scenarios with all the new countries and units. :^)
darkentrees

Post by darkentrees »

Yeah!!!  JTCS is released!  And I'm only 8 months past the last date of the last reply of this dead thread wondering when the hell it was going to be released!! 

See?  Good things do come to those who wait... or fall off the edge of the earth in my case [8D]

Campaign series is here and it rocks!  Windows menus and windows windows letting me window around the battlefield like I might have wished for in days of old - joyous sounds of my tanks now rolling again, through modern day surround sound instead of days of old cheesy speakers. 

Now... where was it that I left 1st Battalion stranded along that Road to Moscow... [&:]
Crom!

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”