Another Bloody Noob Question

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

rokohn

Another Bloody Noob Question

Post by rokohn »

Hello Grognards all,

I just bought this monster and I feel a tad overwhelmed. I have a few questions that I hope you can help with.

1. How do you move supplies overland? Specifically form Manila to Clark and Bataan? Does it have to be by ship? The manual mentions overland movement, but doesn’t say how. (The manual leave a lot of questions unanswered, I stumbled across Automatic Convoys by accident or I would be asking about them also.)

2. What is an LTU? I read about it often in the forums but can’t find a reference in the manual.

3. What do I need to make barges? I read on the boards that they can move supplies more secretly and unload them faster. (I think) Why can’t Manila make barges in Dec 41? It would seem that they could transfer supplies quite nicely.

4. What are PT boats good for? Scouting and harassing? Getting Presidents elected? Answering #3 should tell me how they get made.

5. What is the best way to get a TK from Brisbane to San Diego? They have a range 7500. I guess I can figure it out by going from port to port. But I though that they should be able to do it in one swoop.

6. I have a base in Bataan with 9037 supply. The land units state that they need 1157 supply. That can’t be per day, or all of the PI can’t feed a battalion for a month. What is the scoop? The manual is vague on the rate of supplies consumed by land units.

7. When I set an area to computer control, when does the AI take over? The next orders phase?

That is all for now. I tried the campaign after the tutorial, against all recommendations. I did this so that I could just check out long range logistics. After I figure out supply, reinforcements and the like I do plan on a scenario. Personally I would like to just play the Americans, and let the AI handle the Brits and Japs.

Thanks for your help.
Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult;
. . .
Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you;
rebuke a wise man and he will love you.
Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still;
teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.
anarchyintheuk

RE: Another Bloody Noob Question

Post by anarchyintheuk »

ORIGINAL: rokohn

Hello Grognards all,

I just bought this monster and I feel a tad overwhelmed. I have a few questions that I hope you can help with.

1. How do you move supplies overland? Specifically form Manila to Clark and Bataan? Does it have to be by ship? The manual mentions overland movement, but doesn’t say how. (The manual leave a lot of questions unanswered, I stumbled across Automatic Convoys by accident or I would be asking about them also.)

The computer moves it automatically. The system is subject to the forces of wizards and magic. Search for some older threads if you can.
2. What is an LTU? I read about it often in the forums but can’t find a reference in the manual.

Don't know what an LTU is but an LCU is just shorthand for a land combat unit (i.e. infantry, base forces, engineers, etc.).
3. What do I need to make barges? I read on the boards that they can move supplies more secretly and unload them faster. (I think) Why can’t Manila make barges in Dec 41? It would seem that they could transfer supplies quite nicely.

Barges become available like reinforcements. For the allies you might have to wait a while. You can create them in any port hex that is adequately supplied.
4. What are PT boats good for? Scouting and harassing? Getting Presidents elected? Answering #3 should tell me how they get made.
Base protection, helps keeps your vunerable forward airbases from getting hit by nuke bombardments from the IJN battleline.
5. What is the best way to get a TK from Brisbane to San Diego? They have a range 7500. I guess I can figure it out by going from port to port. But I though that they should be able to do it in one swoop.

Use the return to base command and set it to a halfway point like Canton or the like. When it arrives do the same and set it to San Diego. Betties in the Marshalls make the direct route somewhat undesirable.
6. I have a base in Bataan with 9037 supply. The land units state that they need 1157 supply. That can’t be per day, or all of the PI can’t feed a battalion for a month. What is the scoop? The manual is vague on the rate of supplies consumed by land units.

It's per month.
7. When I set an area to computer control, when does the AI take over? The next orders phase?

AFAIK yes. I wouldn't recommend it tho.
That is all for now. I tried the campaign after the tutorial, against all recommendations. I did this so that I could just check out long range logistics. After I figure out supply, reinforcements and the like I do plan on a scenario. Personally I would like to just play the Americans, and let the AI handle the Brits and Japs.

Thanks for your help.

Good luck.
KDonovan

Post by KDonovan »

just to add.....the only way you can "manually" move supplies to different locals..is by moving a HQ or large formations of heavy bombers. When these units move to a particular base, the "supply AI" will attempt to stack a bunch of supplies at that base.

So for instance if you want supplies to be sent from Manila to Bataan, you need to send the USAFFE HQ to Bataan, and most of the supplies at Manila will flow to Bataan
dtravel

Post by dtravel »

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

It's per month.
[/quote]

And assumes no: combat, damage, repairs, replacements, enemy, eating, or breathing. Its the amount you would need for one month of doing absolutely nothing, including being shot at. In short, enough is never enough.
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

ckk

Post by ckk »

3 and 4 PT's and barges will show up by IIRC June '42. They show up on the ship availabilty screen. They can also be made from tf's containing supply.
rokohn

Post by rokohn »

Thanks all for the help. [:D]

Yeah, I meant the LCU.

How did the forums decide that OZ stood for Australia? Or am I wrong. One of these days I will figure these initials out (I can't spell acronym properly).

. . .
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

Yeah, I meant the LCU.

How did the forums decide that OZ stood for Australia?

Oz-stralia shortened to "Oz"
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
dtravel

Post by dtravel »

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

Yeah, I meant the LCU.

Plus being "a land far away". Its not just here that Australia gets called Oz. I've heard it for longer than I can remember.
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

saj42

Post by saj42 »

ORIGINAL: dtravel

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

Yeah, I meant the LCU.

Plus being "a land far away". Its not just here that Australia gets called Oz. I've heard it for longer than I can remember.

Us Brits have been calling Oz 'Oz' since I was knee high to a Wallaby
Banner by rogueusmc
rokohn

Post by rokohn »

Interesting, never knew that about you Brits.

Sometimes us Americans don't get out much.
. . .

Return to “The War Room”