To Devs: Spain city names

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Haplo_Patryn

To Devs: Spain city names

Post by Haplo_Patryn »

Hi. Question to the devs: are you using original city names or adapting them to "british" or "anglosaxon" ones?.

I'm spanish fan and i have seen (see attached image below) that in Spain map there are big mistakes in some names' cities.

Almiera should be Almería
Seville should be Sevilla
Saragossa should be Zaragoza

For you interest only.

See you
Mziln

RE: To Devs: Spain city names

Post by Mziln »

[font="times new roman"]There are no railroads or roads to the general resources. Do you plan to fix this also?[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]13.6.1 Resources[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Paragraph 3:[/font]

[font="times new roman"]You can use any resource you control in the production step (you don’t need to have controlled it at the start of the turn) if you are able to transport it to a usable factory in that step. You can only use 1 resource for each factory in the hex you transport it to (the rest can be saved there if they are oil resources and you are playing with AfA option 31).[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Paragraph 6: Transporting resources by rail[/font]
[font="times new roman"]You transport a resource to a factory in the production step by railing it from its hex to a usable factory. It must move along railway lines (roads count as railways for this purpose). It can also cross a straits hexside from one railway hex to another. Each resource cannot cross more than 1 straits hexsides.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]This move does not count as a rail move and the resource does not have to start its move at a station.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The move can only pass through:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]• hexes you control;[/font]
[font="times new roman"]• hexes in neutral minor countries; and[/font]
[font="times new roman"]• hexes controlled by another major power, but only if it allows you. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Allied major powers (except the USSR) may only trace resources through[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Soviet controlled hexes while the USSR is at war with Germany.[/font]
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

There are no railroads or roads to the general resources. Do you plan to fix this also?
This must be a very old screenshot, now there are rails in Spain. This screenshot also has the wrong resources icons, the wrongly placed labels and icons, old Alpine and river hexsides, it must be very very old.

Here is how Spain looks now :

Attachments
spain.jpg
spain.jpg (193.86 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Patrice's update of the map helps but doesn't address your main concern:

I would like to stay with the spelling of the names as they appear on the WIF FE map, which I guess are Anglicized.

Changing them to the more accurate Spanish versions, which has many attractions to me (my wife is of Basque ancestry), creates the question of what to do about the names for all the other cities/rivers etc. in the world. Rather than make the hundred(s) of decisions about all of them, I'll just stick with what ADG used in WIF FE. An exception to this will be fixing any glaring typographical errors. Oh, and I want to fix the 'a' in Cadiz so it has a grave mark over it.

Within these admittedly rather restrictive guidelines, do have suggestions for corrections we should make?
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Haplo_Patryn

Post by Haplo_Patryn »

I would like to stay with the spelling of the names as they appear on the WIF FE map, which I guess are Anglicized.

Changing them to the more accurate Spanish versions, which has many attractions to me (my wife is of Basque ancestry), creates the question of what to do about the names for all the other cities/rivers etc. in the world. Rather than make the hundred(s) of decisions about all of them, I'll just stick with what ADG used in WIF FE. An exception to this will be fixing any glaring typographical errors. Oh, and I want to fix the 'a' in Cadiz so it has a grave mark over it.

Within these admittedly rather restrictive guidelines, do have suggestions for corrections we should make?

I was sure that those city names were anglicized but i preferred to asked you [;)]

No problem at all, i only want to be sure about it. Thank you for your answer, the rest of the map seems fine.

See you [:)]
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

I'm spanish fan and i have seen (see attached image below) that in Spain map there are big mistakes in some names' cities.

Anglicized names for Spanish cities should be :

- Almiera : Almería
- Seville : Sevilla
- Saragossa : Zaragoza
Oh, and I want to fix the 'a' in Cadiz so it has a grave mark over it.
About this, didn't we say that we did not use odd accentuated letters such as those of the Scandinavian names, to avoid having C?diz being displayed on computers where the letter doesn't exist ?

If not, then I need to edit the Scandinavian names I added to the CSV files because I removed the accentuated letters. Also, if you add the accent on the 'a' of Cadiz, you also need to add it to Malaga who also has a grave mark over its first 'a'.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Froonp

Anglicized names for Spanish cities should be :

- Almiera : Almería
- Seville : Sevilla
- Saragossa : Zaragoza
Oh, and I want to fix the 'a' in Cadiz so it has a grave mark over it.
About this, didn't we say that we did not use odd accentuated letters such as those of the Scandinavian names, to avoid having C?diz being displayed on computers where the letter doesn't exist ?

If not, then I need to edit the Scandinavian names I added to the CSV files because I removed the accentuated letters. Also, if you add the accent on the 'a' of Cadiz, you also need to add it to Malaga who also has a grave mark over its first 'a'.

I have been using the accentuated letters in the names (as did CWIF). If we decide to change them later, I can do that in about 15 seconds by reading the CSV file into a database and exporting it back out to a new CSV file that has all the accentuated letters converted to the English alphabet. So let's keep them for now (we could always ship the program with two versions of the Nam.CSV file).
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

I have been using the accentuated letters in the names (as did CWIF). If we decide to change them later, I can do that in about 15 seconds by reading the CSV file into a database and exporting it back out to a new CSV file that has all the accentuated letters converted to the English alphabet. So let's keep them for now (we could always ship the program with two versions of the Nam.CSV file).
OK, I'm making the modifications.

Return to “World in Flames”