seeking recimmendation to get started

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

boundaryscan

seeking recimmendation to get started

Post by boundaryscan »

I'm fishing for suggestions for good games to ease my way into these awesome wargames.

I own Korsun Pocket, but I have trouble getting started and diving into it.

I really love The Perfect General II, but I don't care for the RTSes I've seen, I don't like having to rush like that.

Can anyone recommend something near the shallow end of the pool for me?

I'll be trying out the new PDA game next week, that looks cool.
(and easy to sneak into work!)[;)][:-]

Thanks,
Tom
Zap

RE: seeking recimmendation to get started

Post by Zap »

Steel Panthers World at War would be a good place to start. It's easy enough to dive right in but has a lot of depth as you learn more about battle tactics. You can find it in these forums as a free download.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

If you want light weight easy on the brain wargaming goodness. Battlefront has Strategic Command 2.

A bit further along the complexity scale, you get Gary Grigsby's World at War.

But the sad thing with a lot of wargames, is they are often all or nothing endeavours, either you have a game which is a nothing, or you have a game, and its a lot. Not much middle ground.

You've seen KP, so you know what a wargame should look like. But there are few games that are very definitely wargames, yet no work involved.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

May I suggest that you buy the Matrix reissue of the Talonsoft "Battleground" series when it is released. BG Gettysburg is one of my all time favorite games, easy to get into, lots of play value. If you can't wait, try HPS Campaign Gettysburg (same designer, basically the same game with tweaked mechanics and a blockbuster campaign capability with huge maps). I think the Matrix reissue is going to give you more "bang for the buck" though and will let you get your feet wet with the game design.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Tom,
ORIGINAL: boundaryscan
I'm fishing for suggestions for good games to ease my way into these awesome wargames.

I would absolutely recommend Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great and Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar as great entry level wargames.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Tom,
ORIGINAL: boundaryscan

I would absolutely recommend Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great and Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar as great entry level wargames.

Regards,

- Erik

I second these nominations, these are excellent entry level wargames and with excellent graphics...(unless of course Marc had something to do with them, then they are a bit less than excellent) hahahaha j/k Marc ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

watchtower

Post by watchtower »

Tin Soldiers - same here - motion carried.

Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Another vote for Tin Soldiers. Very suitable for beginners with being "beginners games".

I wouldn't have thought Panzer Command was too difficult for a new wargamer to get to grips with either, if WW2 is more your cup of tea. Flashpoint Germany would be a reasonable choice for a more "traditional" style game - it's a lot easier to get to grips with than most.

Return to “General Discussion”