Bring back Carriers at War and Europe Ablaze

Battlefront features the power of battalion-level combat in some of this period's most bloody and intense conflicts: Saipan, Market Garden, Novorossisk, and Gazala. Players will have realistic control over their soldiers, with a tactical scale just large enough to make a telling difference in the strategic picture.

Moderators: Gregor_SSG, alexs

CTB123

RE: Bring back Carriers at War and Europe Ablaze

Post by CTB123 »

I guess to clarify, I would love to see the concept of CAW taken and updated, sort of like Battlefront looks like an evolution of SSG games of old.

Tony
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: Gregor_SSG
plenty of people who would like to refight those battles on their current PCs and operating systems

Is this a hint there is something in the works?????

RedMike

Post by RedMike »

ORIGINAL: dudalb

I agree ...bring back Carriers at War!
Thanks heavens it runs well in Dosbox.....

Yes it does!! :)

[:D]
Hannibal ad portas
sabre100

Post by sabre100 »

Carriers at War from SSG rocked, I bought the Complete version on CD from NWS and I love it even with the outdated graphics I dont care.  I would love to be able to play it without dosbox that is why I would also love for SSG to do a remake ASAP!!!!!! [:D], heck keep the scenarios and game the same just update the graphics a little bit and have it work on XP with no issues and it would rock. 
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

Even better would be to offer it cross platform so it could be run on Linux or Mac or...gasp...even XP. Personally I run it on Linux using DOSBox. I don't understand marrying a game system to a single O/S, especially Windows. Makes more sense to me to use cross platform libraries so you can broaden your market share but that's another story and I've heard all the arguments before. Linux Rules, Windoze drools!! [:D]

RedMike...out
Hannibal ad portas
elcidce

Post by elcidce »

My copy of Carriers at War runs in a dos window in Win xp SP2 without Dos Box. You just need to configure it correctly. It takes just a few seconds.
The Citadel
G Company
Class of 1991
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

Yeah, I can verify that too. When I first got my PC/XP CaW was the first wargame I bought for it having migrated to PC from old Mac SE. Used to be SSG was all I played, best computer wargames available. However, I don't run anything on Windows if I can help it. I don't know why it's so popular when it's such a crappy unstable insecure O/S. But I don't mean to get started on my personal opinions here...so nevermind me. The point is CaW is an awesome game which definitely would be welcome in a new upgraded modern version. Playing the Guadalcanal scenario right now as I type and the results seem much more realistic than UV, WitP, Pacific War etc. It's a cool game!

P.S. Hey elcidce! How's it going?
Hannibal ad portas
Der Oberst

Post by Der Oberst »

I LOVED Carriers at War. Played it on my Commodore 64 actually. But with Grigsby's WIP and Uncommon Valor do we need it? Was Europe Ablaze the air war game? There was a European Theatre airwar game SSG built that I played the bytes off as well......

I'd like SSG to work on something new and unusual rather than retreading old DOS games (though they were great in their time). SSG has limited resources and I'd like to see them put to good use.

Regards,

Der Oberst
-----------------------------------------
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

ORIGINAL: Der Oberst

I LOVED Carriers at War. Played it on my Commodore 64 actually. But with Grigsby's WIP and Uncommon Valor do we need it? Was Europe Ablaze the air war game? There was a European Theatre airwar game SSG built that I played the bytes off as well......

I'd like SSG to work on something new and unusual rather than retreading old DOS games (though they were great in their time). SSG has limited resources and I'd like to see them put to good use.

Does that go for Battlefront too ??

[X(]
Hannibal ad portas
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

I don't have much faith in WitP, especially when the Japanese start loading the 1st MarDiv onto their transports for invasion of Guadalcanal!! What hell is that?? And the overall results of the simulation seem skewed, whereas CaW seems spot on. I think CaW should be given CPR and brought back. Europe Ablaze too. They are classic games. Another thing CaW allows you to create scenarios from across the world whilst WitP restricts you to the Pacific. I'm playing UV, WitP, WPO, CCaW, CS, & GGPW right now and CCaW in it's DOS form still puts up an impressive showing. It would be great if it had pbem ability.
Hannibal ad portas
sapper_astro

Post by sapper_astro »

Carriers at war: The ultimate Strategic sea wargame. Nothing comes close in my experience.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I loved CAW too, sure wish I new a way to get those 5 1/4 disks unstuck from DVD player[:D]
Formerly Goodwood

Arnir

Post by Arnir »

I think that there is a strong need for a tactical carrier simulation like CaW or Carrier Strike.  I want to be in charge of the task force and select the ordinance and the search vectors, etc.  I miss that style.
CTB123

Post by CTB123 »

"LOVED Carriers at War. Played it on my Commodore 64 actually. But with Grigsby's WIP and Uncommon Valor do we need it?"

Yes, we need CAW.  WIP is a much larger scale.  I think it has 12 hour turns, where as CAW can be run drop down to 5 minute turns.  I loved arming individual squadrons, watching their progress as they armed, fueled, and took off.

You could coordinate strikes from different carries to arrive over target at the right time, and as someone here already pointed out, choose search vectors.  The player in CAW is given a lot more control over a carrier battle than they get in WIP or UV.

Tony
ChuckBerger

Post by ChuckBerger »

I STILL play CAW on my Macintosh. Believe it or not, it runs without a hitch under System OSX, in "Classic" mode. For that matter, so does Battlefront, at least scenarios done in 256-colours. Warlords II runs as well!

I just think it's amazing that SSG's games are so stable and continue to run after so many years... I really wish they were still being produced for Mac. I bought KP, but can't get it to run on VirtualPC.

blastpop

Post by blastpop »

CAW again! I played it so much in the past and have such fond memories. As far as I'm concerned producing CAW again is a no brainer. It not only played well- its re-playability allowed for giving it another go after a loss in a scenario to see if you could do better next time.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat...
Mark
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

There's a bunch of games from teh 80's that had great "presence" - the gameplay subject matter and systems were all spot on and I'd love to see them updated!

CAW is definitely one, Europe Ablaze another.

Dar I mention other companies?? ;)

SSI did "Fighter Command" and "USAAF" - both strategic/operational simulations - people ahve gone off those now as they're too "simple" - graphics and glitz is favoured over content (although there's still good content coming out too....)

Some up-to-date versions of those classics would still be classic IMO![&o][&o]

Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
KarlXII

Post by KarlXII »

Personally I would like to see an improved version of Eastern Front and Western Front from SSI by Gary Grigsby. Those games were suberb. Not only did they include every single vehicle, squad they had readiness, supply, leaders abilities and best of all. Factories where you could choose to produce different kinds of equipment. I lack that kind of complete overview in todays strategy games that either focuses only on tactical battles och operational battles without the production/resource management.....and still be in quite a low level. Gary Grigsbys World at War did not impress me because of its grand scale and lack of detailed management of troops and frontlines. Though it did include all other aspects.
Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Yeah bring back CAW and EA (Europe Ablaze). I played the chit out of both of those games. Much more than I did the battlefront series. I just couldn't get into that probe, attack, defend stuff, I felt I didn't have enough control over what was going on. Carrier FORCE (before carrier strike) I enjoyed as well. Played the Midway scenario so many times I could do it with my eyes closed and this was back in the day of the commodore 64 and keyboard only interface. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

CAW is (not was) a wonderful game. Even with the current great crop of carrier focused games like WITP & UV, the player community is still in need of a solid tactical level carrier game. A remake of CAW or at the very least using the essential design elements of CAW in a new game would fill this void nicely.

Return to “Battlefront”