Wishlist (cont'd)

Prepare yourself for a wargaming tour-de-force! Conquest of the Aegean is the next generation of the award-winning and revolutionary Airborne Assault series and it takes brigade to corps-level warfare to a whole new level. Realism and accuracy are the watchwords as this pausable continuous time design allows you to command at any echelon, with smart AI subordinates and an incredibly challenging AI.

Moderator: Arjuna

MarkShot

RE: Wishlist (cont'd)

Post by MarkShot »

The suggestion was once made that the LOS tool should show the range from the point of origin to the point of drag; similary to the LOS tool in CM. I don't know whatever happened to that suggestion.

Dave, can we get a TT?

Thanks.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
Major Disaster

Post by Major Disaster »

Something I would like to see on the wish list is a preview mode. In the preview mode the game clock could be temproarily advanced (say with a slider bar) and all the friendy units would "move" to where they would be at that time based on their current orders. Enemy units would be ignored for this since there is no way of knowing where they would be. The idea here is not to precisely predict where friendly units wil be in the future but raather to give the player a rough idea of where they would be as a planning aid. In addition to this it would be cool to add time on target (TOTs) such that a unit would wait at the FUP until the specifed TOT. That could be used to coordinate attacks between different units.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

TT2977 - UI - Add range to the LOS tool
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Major Disaster,

You know how to ask for the big ones, hey! [;)]

I do like your idea though.

TT2978 - UI - Preview Mode - project locations of units over time
TT2979 - UI - AI - Orders - Ability to set No Move Before timings
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Major Disaster

Post by Major Disaster »

You know how to ask for the big ones, hey!

That is the same thing that the software people I interface with at work tell me! At least I am consistent. [8D]
Vince_Tooket

Post by Vince_Tooket »

If path tools gives the length then we can estimate the time before the supplies arrives and avoid to make only a poor estimation of the length of the road. Useful when planing exploitation before the breakthrough by pre-calculating ETA for units before we gives them orders.
Vince_Tooket

Post by Vince_Tooket »

Adding command range in the range rings, will be usefull to show quickly how we can extend a front.
PnHobbit

Post by PnHobbit »

I would like empty messages in multiplayer to not send. That'd be swell.
ChrisGer

Post by ChrisGer »

I think it would be nice if there was a more comfortable way to attach coys (or other units) to btns than using Ctrl+click. Maybe this could be done by dragging a unit to a btn HQ in the OB screen, or something similar?

Cheers,
Chris
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Chris,

One thing we are looking at right now for BFTB is to overhaul the force group structure we use so we can permit just that.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Tomus

Post by Tomus »

I don't know how easy this would be to implement nor if anyone wants it. But the LOS tool while great I would find a 2D drawing at the bottom for even quicker viewing of the slope:

For example:
If you see the crude and picture underneath it just gives for me a better sense of the ground in front of me. Its a 2D section of what the LOS tool produces....

Is that a possibility, or would anyone find it helpful?
Analog Kid

Post by Analog Kid »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

TT2977 - UI - Add range to the LOS tool

If you look at the LOS tool it shows range. Each line is 100 meters.

The problem I have is the LOS tool disappears off the map and becomes useless. I play in 1024x768 btw. Tomus suggestion of a 2D map is intriguing, but the LOS tool all ready does it. I think making it another color like red would help. But the big problem is being able to see what it shows ,rather than have it disappear would be a big help.

Coffee tastes better if the latrines are dug downstream from an encampment.
- US Army Field Regulations, 1861

Never trust a private with a loaded weapon, or an 2nd Lieutenant with a map.
- Actual Factual Truth~9 times out of 10
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Re Range: Point taken about the range ( well actually it is in 100m increments ), but I still think that for BFTB we'll try and add in a text number every kilometer, just to make it easier.

Re Dissappearing lines - I accept that in some cases this occurs. But if we reduce the scale to avoid this then in most cases there won't be a significant enough differentation to be of any use.

Re Side on line drawing - it has merit but we will need to ponder this idea. Main problem is to get it to look good enough - for instance how much of the screen do we cover, what scale do we use.

In the long run I would like an "option" to display a 3D map. This would negate the shortcomings currently encountered with trying to present 3D info on a 2D map.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Analog Kid

Post by Analog Kid »

Opps I did mean 100m :) post edited. A 3D map just to be able to look at
would be real cool.

S!

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Just to make sure that my answer to Analog Kid's post ("Just got it" thread) is regarded as wish, so I put the quote (his initial idea) and my reply on this list.....[:)]
ORIGINAL: Analog Kid

#5 After bombarding then reselecting the unit from the FS tag, can
the bombard icon remain at the last place bombed? It would be easier
IMO to drag it where you want now or repeat bombard. A CMD load thing
again for me :)

[5] Well, interesting idea.....Since detached artys carry on with on-call duties, it would be even more interesting to get a switch for those units:

A simple switch: "on-call" (player AI), "no on-call" (player assigns bomb. missions for this unit, exclusively). Arty units which are not executing on-call duties could leave their task pointer on the last location that got bombarded....I guess this would work way better (maybe easier to implement too), with less "click-ology" and the "rest after bombard"-command would be a real killer here, if used in conjunction with a so-called "player bombardment-unit". Also, the "rest"-switch should be moved to each and every bomb. unit, instead of being a global command for all bomb. units (= more flexibility).
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

re Arty order icon. Sorry but this won't work. We purposely and automatically issue them with a defend or rest order once they finish bombarding. Because this is an in-situ order the icon wil be located above the unit. If we don't do this arty units will become fatigued pretty damm quick. To do what you suggest would involve adding yet more special case code to what is already very complex code. So I'm not in favour of that.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

What I understand is that it's too hard (or unwanted) to let the arty task pointer stay at the last targeted spot. Ok.

But what about the switch?
A "simple" switch for each bombardment unit, where the player decides whether the unit should act as "on-call"-unit (guided by the Player AI) or as a unit that waits for bombardments issued by the Player exclusively.
ORIGINAL: GoodGuy

A simple switch: "on-call" (player AI), "no on-call" (player assigns bomb. missions for this unit, exclusively).

That would be a nice improvement. Is that possible???

Also, I don't see why a global "rest after bombard"-order couldn't be transferred to the bomb. units themself, making it a local option only (=more flexible)?

You might get the basic idea.
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

GoodGuy,

PM sent.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Analog Kid

Post by Analog Kid »

How bout using hyperlobby to help with the multi-player. I play IL2 Forgotten Battles thru it and it (HL) runs very well. Its easy to see if someone wants to play, just check the lobby for the game. Here is a link to how one gets a game added to HL and looks like its free to have a game added (except for a copy of the game)

http://hyperfighter.sk/modules.php?name ... pic&t=1499

S!

Analog Kid

Post by Analog Kid »

add to above
An Offical IRC type chat room or teamspeak server. Or an In-game browser to help find opponents. I hate icq type stuff  to much like a cell phone or pager on your person at all times. I dont want to be connected :) And to easy to miss a game using email or to time consuming to set one up that way. Guess Im just lazy

S! 

Return to “Conquest of the Aegean”