Campaign (spoilers!)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes or how you had your Titan shot out from under you.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

Aensland

Campaign (spoilers!)

Post by Aensland »

I'm actually in the process of writing up my team's exploits in all the campaigns, but I just got through one of the most shootingest maps to date so I thought I'd just put that down first [;)] It's gonna be just the sequence of events, the real writeup will be way longer. With dialogue. Heh.

A quick bio of my Squad:
Squad: Crimson Carnage
Commander: Celine "Trucidation" Aensland
Squad Leader: elite Saotome "Wild Horse" Ranma - Human Male, gunner (config: EC)
Squad Manager: ace Tendo "Princess" Nabiki - Human Female, flanker (config: EU)
Squad Mechanic: elite "Bodyguard" Bogard - Android, flanker (config: EU)
Squad member: ace Yagami "Orochi" Iori - Human Male, close combat (config: EH)

Everyone was on customised Medium Titans. Basically high output/heatreg, no flares/shields, good CPUs, basic jump.

Code: Select all

Wild Horse -- Succubus MK II (modified Incubus)
    1x Heavy Meson, 1x Tesla Bolt  -->  2x AutoCannon 7, 1x Pulse Laser
 Princess   -- Crossbolt (modified Crossbow)
    1x LRM 6 rack, 1x LRM 9 rack, 1x SRM 4 rack, 2x SRM 8 rack, 1x Medium Laser
    -->  1x NM 7 rack, 2x SRM 8 rack, 1x Medium Laser, 1x Pulse Laser
 Bodyguard  -- Crossbolt (modified Crossbow)
    (same as above)
 Orochi -- Claw MK II (modified Fist)
    1x Tesla Bolt, 2x ChainSaw  -->  1x Tesla Bolt, 1x ChainSaw, 1x Pulse Laser
Campaign: The secret of "The Metaborator"
Map: no#5, Attack on The Commander's hideout

The mission kicked off with a declaration of betrayal by the kindly Major who'd been supplying the money. Ouch.
image: http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/896/tos1378kp.jpg

With the realisation that the Tritons airdropping right behind us were gonna be hostile, Wild Horse immediately ordered everyone to jump north into the cover on the ridges ahead. Sandwiched between The Commander's undoubtedly hostile and likely fanatical HQ defenders, and the Major's Tritons with orders to eliminate us, things were definitely NOT looking good. There were trees to the west and east flanks, but the ground seemed clear behind them. Nope, safer to camp the ridges, we'd most likely need to use them for cover.

Once again I cannot stress how important jump ports are, just perfect for omgwtf panic moments like these. Of course we'd prefer better jump ports, but needs must, and the current Titans just aren't heavy enough to support the stuff I'd like to put on them.

Tritons landed, then had to waste time skirting around the water. None of The Commander's forces spotted yet even though we'd made it up onto the ridges. Then at 0:50 into the mission, a confusing but welcome message indeed.
image: http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1931/tos1384yh.jpg

Notice the solitary hill just above the red cursor? Beautiful, it blocked the Tritons from pelting us from afar. You can also see the lone visible enemy Triton, a Corporal on a Sublimator, a small 40t Recon with a HtH loadout, drifting forwards on his jump ports. Orochi there in the picture has the shortest weapon range (check the Claw MK II's config, the furthest reaching is the Pulse Laser at 7 hexes max), so he really couldn't help except just sit there and scan them as they emerged. There were only two approaches, one at the middle where the Sublimator is charging, and the other on the east where the rest were running to.

Princess and Bodyguard made short work of the Sublimator, blasting it to bits with SRMs and lasers. Fortunately this was a cold terrain map (-0.5C/sec mod). The rest of the enemy, in left to right order, were a Lieutenant on a Dissolvator (Heavy, missiler), a Corporal on a Corrodator (Light), the Squad Captain on a Desintegrator (Assault), and a Sergeant on a Compressator (Medium).

Some time later...

Concentrated fire and a lot of luck allowed Wild Horse to take out the enemy Captain. Leader for leader; how appropriate. Best of all, the resulting blast catapulted the Corrodator out one hex behind, although the Sergeant wasn't hurt much. The other members of the Squad decided to move eastwards to assist the Squad Leader. The highlighted enemy there is the Dissolvator. He was busy pelting Wild Horse, and it was annoying. 4x LRM 6 racks = painful. No worries, the armor bays are nearby.

Famous last words. We received another transmission from the Major.
image: http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/3646/tos1402br.jpg

Another Triton Squad incoming? Better get into position quickly.

That was a mistake. A big one. I mean, this isn't your usual run-of-the-mill big mistakes. This was a Really Big One. Ranks right up there with Opening The Airlock Before Recompression Is Complete, or Cleaning Cannons Without Removing Live Ammunition, or Not Waiting For Reinforcements And Trying To Be Heroes. Guess where the second Triton squad airdropped? Not near where the first squad was dropped. Nope. Not even in the cover of the trees on the southern flanks. But right beside the eastern ridge where Wild Horse was perched. Right SMACK in his face. The Captain on his huge Desintegrator, with those twin Gauss Cannons and AC 20 (TWENTY?!!!) cannons, landed neatly on the adjacent hex.

Wild Horse: Crimson Carnage, this is your Squad Leader speaking.
Wild Horse: ...
Wild Horse: ...
Wild Horse: Nabiki... I love you. Goodbye.
Princess: Get off the f*** ridge you moron!!
Orochi: o_O;
Bodyguard: -_-;

The second Triton Squad had almost the same makeup, except that the other Corporal was piloting another Compressor like the Sergeant, not a piddly little Sublimator.

Crimson Carnage: 400 tons.
Triton 1: 40 + 124 + 194 + 70 + 100 = 528
Triton 2: 100 + 124 + 194 + 70 + 100 = 588
Combined: 1116
If the Dissolvator was using the regular 140t of a normal Heavy Titan and the Desintegrator the regular 200t of a normal Assault Titan, I'd have been looking at 550 + 610 = 1160t

What can I say about the rest of the battle? It was a riot. They outweighed us almost 3:1. It was like being in a street brawl. Wild Horse, being there right in their faces, ate BOTH Dissolvators' missiles. He did a southeast jump-charge to take out the Sergeant from Squad 2, which took him out of sight of Squad 1 (thankfully the Corrodator and Compressator were too far south) and away from the two directly north. He continued taking fire from the Corporal on the Compressator right east of the ridge and the Desintegrator, although Bodyguard and Orochi quickly flanked north to take it out. Orochi jump-charged the Corrodator and mangled the head with a lucky Tesla Bolt shot. Princess was too far away, being 2 ridges across, and only managed in distracting the others from Squad 1 by emptying her SRMs at them. Lucky break, she got close enough to climb the middle ridge where the Dissolvator from Squad 1 promptly began raining missiles at her instead (couldn't retaliate, SRMs out of range).

Orochi swung around the north end of the ridge smack into the Corporal on the Compressator's face and took him down with a couple of Tesla Bolt shots and some good ol' fashioned Chainsaw love. By this time Bodyguard had reached the massive Desintegrator's perch, and engaged it in a brutal mano-a-mano. High energy weapon skill + called shots - legs = win. Once he took the big guy down, he went after the head mercilessly. And crushed it to a pulp with a savage left hook. Finish him!

All this while, we could see The Commander's men occasionally, and once in a while a salvo of missiles flew overhead, coming seemingly from nowhere, and going nowhere (i.e. not hitting anything). Much like migrating geese, actually. It was kinda therapeutic to watch them fly by. That is, if we weren't busy trying to stop the Tritons from taking us apart.

The tide finally turned when we gibbed Squad 2, then camped the eastern side of the easternmost ridge, waiting for the remnants of Squad 1 to show up. Wild Horse, despite his entire right side red and the rest of him yellow (I wonder what colour football team is that?) felt well enough to participate in the closing ceremony. So there we were, crouched, 2 hexes away from the trees, while Princess went to check out the armor bays (since she was nearest).

Egads! They were duds! All of them! The only thing she managed to find were a bunch of lousy flares. In disgust, she fired them all off. Well, THAT was useful - they screened the perimeter. If we'd discovered them at the START of the fight, we might have managed to sneak off and run to the northwest and snipe from there. Much safer. Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk.

Two Titans from the remaining three of Squad 1 showed up obediently, crawling out of the trees straight into a 3-way gangbang between an injured and extremely angry Wild Horse, Bodyguard, and Orochi. It was the usual stuff; a couple Tesla / laser shots to the legs, followed by generous helpings of Autocannon and SRMs all around. To our disappointment, we didn't manage to blow them up. The final Titan remaning, the Dissolvator, took longer since the stupid bastard insisted on firing at The Commander's Titans way, way, way up north out of sight. They kept missing each other.

It was like watching the geese all over again.

He finally got stupid and closed in though, and was crucified in the trees just like the others. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to set the trees on fire, so the witch burnings would have to wait until the next mission.
Ab Clades, Malevolentia; Ab Victoria, Ultio
( " In Defeat, Malice; In Victory, Revenge! " )
fmonster

RE: Campaign (spoilers!)

Post by fmonster »

Very nice write up!! Sounds like you had a blast!!
Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War
Aensland

Post by Aensland »

Thanks, I thought it was kinda wordy myself, heh. I'm not used to writing plain "this happened, then we did that" kind of stuff.
Aensland

Post by Aensland »

Need a full team for the last campaign. Filled in the remaining 4 slots with new hires and fought a random battle to raise them to Green rank [2]. Decided they'd be better off in their own Squad - I'm not sure if same-Squad members can participate in different mission simultaneously, perhaps not. Fortunately had some extra money in my old test Squad (even Green transfers are expensive!), so I rebuilt it and transferred all 4 of the new recruits.

Good news is, all the previous campaigns are still open to this Squad, even though the jocks in it all transferred from a Squad which had completed most of them. Looks like I'm going to pay some old friends a visit later... with much better hardware. For now the new recruits need experience.

- - -
Excerpt from Tendo Nabiki's journal.

An idol band. Who would have guessed? Somebody shoot me now. Celine reappeared a week ago with four other girls in tow. I say girls, since they didn't look any older than Kasumi when we left, tops. At first glance you wouldn't bet that they knew anything about Titans except perhaps pillow talk from pilot boyfriends. That was a mistake. Under those sleek, glossy exteriors, these four were competent Titan pilots. They were all wide eyes and pretty smiles though, and involuntarily I grabbed Ranma's hand, frowning.
Celine filled us in. She knew them from college, was in fact their tutor for a brief spell. They kept in touch, on and off, when Celine drifted off into a mercenary career while the four formed a band, the Middle Daughters Club. There was that annoying sense of deja vu again, which I shook off. Anyway, introductions were made.

The bubbly one was Yachiyo Izumi. She was the leader and spokeswoman of the quartet, who sang and played lead. When piloting, she was Shade, a proficient gunner and jump skimmer. She's way too hyper for my liking, she reminds me of a classmate, Suzumiya-san, a lifetime ago in another reality.

Isoya Shinju was the shy one, short although still taller than me by a hand's breadth. She played rhythm, or the flute as needed. When piloting, she was Mirror, a rock-steady pilot and a deadly shot with guided munition.

The bassist, a long-haired beauty standing the same height as Isoya, was Hayashi Setsuna. Calm and self-assured, she went by the callsign Secret. When piloting, she filled a support role, framing stragglers with missiles and keeping the opposition off her friends.

Finally, the tall leggy siren turned out to be their drummer and percussionist, Nakata Itami. Almost as tall as Ranma, she projected an air of barely suppressed energy. Going by the callsign Silhouette, she scrapped it up close in with the best. I could believe that. Her handshake was firmer than necessary, and when I arched an eyebrow and applied more pressure of my own, she let go and flashed me a grin.

- - -

Although it doesn't quite make sense, I'm going to run the new girls through the same campaigns as I did with the original members of Crimson Carnage. They start off with way better stats (thanks to the leadership mod) so I don't have to worry about doing too many random battles before diving in. Oh, and the name of the spinoff Squad is Abandoned Castle.

I'll command the new Squad as well. Crimson Carnage will be having some R&R downtime including an extensive overhaul of their Titans. The last campaign (the Metaborator) really stressed our hardware.

Return to “After Action Reports”