Running a Historical Association

PureSim Baseball is the ultimate baseball fan's toy, with support for both casual and hardcore baseball fans.

Moderator: puresimmer

booradley

Running a Historical Association

Post by booradley »

Just bought the game, and I'm looking to run a historical simulation from 1901 - 2005. I have a couple of questions, for those kind enough to bear with me:
  • Will club locations / names automatically change as they did historically, or will this require manual maintenance?
  • Will my association expand and reconfigure divisional alignments automatically as I move through the years, or will this require manual intervention?
  • Any other potential pitfalls that I should be aware of?

Any assistance greatly appreciated!
fmonster

RE: Running a Historical Association

Post by fmonster »

Good questions! I, too, am looking to do this. I would like to add a couple of questions of my own:

1) How do you run historic trades?

2) Are schedules allowed to match real life? Year to year and game by game?

3) What about drafts?

Looking forward to running my beloved Cardinals through their history and see if I can manage to get more career wins and titles with the talent they had. Echoing booradley, any help is greatly appreciated!!![:)][&o]
Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War
tbear2b

Post by tbear2b »

Club locations and league expansion have to be done manually.

The game is not a strict historical replay if you are playing over the years. One new tool that was implemented gives much more sway to hold players on their original teams as you move through, but it's still not a guarantee.

As for trades and drafts, you would have to be the owner of every team and do all of that manually in order to be able to make absolute sure that all of the players were on the right teams at the right moment.

You can find the correct historical schedules and implement them, however.

I don't play historical leagues, so I'm sure someone else will provide some more detail here, but I thought I'd at least answer something.
booradley

Post by booradley »

Thanks.  If there are any 'how to' guides on running a historical replay, I'd appreictae being pointed in the right direction.  Any other historical simmers out there?
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

How real do you wanna get?   One can manually switch players around, but I go in an alternate-history direction.   I start with real rosters, but thereafter, anything goes.  

The history has already happened, so why simply recreate it?   The smallest changes can have potentially severe long-term implications on the timeline, and I think that's a tantalizing option to consider.

In any case, even playing a strictly historical association, injuries may occur at the most inopportune times, and this can drastically alter the outcome. 

This is a game of probabities and possibilities, and no one can foresee the future, regardless of the historical period.   That's one of the things I love about Pure Sim.   
rmayer32

Post by rmayer32 »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

How real do you wanna get? One can manually switch players around, but I go in an alternate-history direction. I start with real rosters, but thereafter, anything goes.

The history has already happened, so why simply recreate it? The smallest changes can have potentially severe long-term implications on the timeline, and I think that's a tantalizing option to consider.

In any case, even playing a strictly historical association, injuries may occur at the most inopportune times, and this can drastically alter the outcome.

This is a game of probabities and possibilities, and no one can foresee the future, regardless of the historical period. That's one of the things I love about Pure Sim.

Very, very well said. [&o]
Rick
booradley

Post by booradley »

Most of the questions I have are technical in nature.  What I'm really looking to do is to see what happens when players for the most part stay with the clubs they came up with - i.e. low-frequency trades (need SOME to keep matters interesting) and no free agency.  So many great 'what if' scenarios spring to mind that I hardly know where to begin.  For example, what happens with the Padres franchise if they manage to hold on to most of that talent they developed?  Do they surpass the historical 80s - 90s powerhouses?  How radically different is Yankees history if they can't buy up all the talent that they have?  And what happens to the power structure of the American League if the Yankees never get Babe Ruth on the books, and he plays out his entire career as a Boston pitcher?

Well, obviously I can go on and on.  What I'm mostly looking for is some technical advice on getting this to run as smoothly as possible.  For example:

• Can I get players to import directly to the clubs they made their debut for, forgoing a draft each year? 
  • If so, how do I best handle situations where a team switches cities/changes names?  What fields do I edit to make sure the Lahman database is synched properly, and players continue to get assigned to their proper squads?
The second question is the most important to me.  I have a suspicion that I'm going to have to manually draft and place each player one by one every year, but if there's a shortcut around all that grunt work I'd love to hear it.
motnahp

Post by motnahp »

I'm interested in some of these same things. What I'm doing is running an American League assn., starting in 1969, using no DH, no injuries, and no free agency. To get started, use the sandbox mode. Make your assn a multiplayer league and assign all teams to human control.

Don't forget to turn finances off. This feature was recently added (but too late for me) to multiplayer associations and allows you to easily eliminate free agency.

Use the sites baseball-reference.com and/or retrosheet.org to track your trades and releases. You can change any of the variables and see what happens. Have fun.

Be sure to check "Expansion Possible" and you will be prompted after each season whether you want the assn to expand. You will need to assign the new teams to the proper city/league/division.

Whenever you DO expand, prepare for an expansion draft by protecting 25 players for EVERY team. After you've done that, THE COMPUTER will hold an expansion draft and stock the new teams. As long as you've got your assn set up for multiplayer with all teams human-controlled, you can go back after the draft and put the players where you want them.
"Better to sleep with old hen than pullet" - Redd Foxx
booradley

Post by booradley »

Thanks for the help. 
ValinFel

Post by ValinFel »

Does anyone have an answer to booradley's above question:

[*]If so, how do I best handle situations where a team switches cities/changes names?  What fields do I edit to make sure the Lahman database is synched properly, and players continue to get assigned to their proper squads?

I am having a hard time figuring this out.  Starting in 1901, using Team affinity mode, most of the players are drafted to their correct teams.  However, as soon as I change Milwaukee to St. Louis Browns, the Browns never draft anyone from that point foreward.  Same thing happens in 1903 when I change Baltimore to New York.

any ideas on how to keep the database synched properly for city/name changes?
Amaroq

Post by Amaroq »

*bump* - I don't know the answer to ValinFel's question, but thought this thread should stay near the top until it gets answered.
puresimmer

Post by puresimmer »

Hmm. Tough one, since the lahman teamid is not exposed as an editable field.

I'll look into this for a future version.
Developer, PureSim Baseball

Return to “PureSim Baseball”