Battlefront Designer Notes Part 2

Battlefront features the power of battalion-level combat in some of this period's most bloody and intense conflicts: Saipan, Market Garden, Novorossisk, and Gazala. Players will have realistic control over their soldiers, with a tactical scale just large enough to make a telling difference in the strategic picture.

Moderators: alexs, Gregor_SSG

Gregor_SSG

Battlefront Designer Notes Part 2

Post by Gregor_SSG »

Now up on the SSG website. A quick overview of Day One in the Market Garden scenario from the Allied perspective.

Gregor
Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.
dobeln

RE: Battlefront Designer Notes Part 2

Post by dobeln »

Looks interesting! :) 
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Nice screenshots. They certainly bring to mine the "Decisive Battles" series. Can anyone summarize the differences between this new game system and the "Decisive Battles" system?
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Nice screenshots. They certainly bring to mine the "Decisive Battles" series. Can anyone summarize the differences between this new game system and the "Decisive Battles" system?

Check the info on the MAtrix website.

It is a new engine and only looks similar as its the same design team and artist.

Im also eager for more news on how the game plays. Hopefully future designer notes go into more detail as I cant wait to see how combat plays out.

The quote below sounds promising. Some wargames I feel dont offer enough options during a turn ( I found the BAttles in.......series one of these). Cant wait.

"We’ve also introduced structures to increase the decision making options available to players and decrease the certainty with which you can contemplate your opponent’s options. This, coupled with a significantly improved AI system will guarantee a great game no matter who you play."
raydude

Post by raydude »

My memory isn't what it used to be. I only am now starting to remember the old Battlefront engine from the 1980's. I played one - Halls of Montezuma. It was great in that the concept was so different from the usual wargame 'move counter 1...move counter 2...move counter 3...' process. In that one I gave orders to HQ's to "probe" or "attack" or "defend" and they moved the units for me. Truly revolutionary to my teenage mind.

Is this battlefront going to be like that? Or will it be one where I have to move all the counters by myself?

JeF

Post by JeF »

I second raydude.

Unfortunately, I never played the old Battlefront.
Are we going to see a command structure in the new Battlefront ?
Or will we have to move every unit one by one ?
Can anyone detail what "Command and control system that rewards correct employment of military assets" is all about ?

Thanks,

JeF.
Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone
JeF

Post by JeF »

I forgot to add that these "Designer notes" are very entertaining. Keep them coming !

JeF.
Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

I am almost certain that you will still need to move every individual counter. The part about Command just means that there will be HQs that you need to keep in range of their attached units in order to grant them attack supply. I always felt uneasy that there were no HQs in the earlier games.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
Rob Gjessing

Post by Rob Gjessing »

Arinvald is correct.
Isn't that bizarre?
wodin

Post by wodin »

I liked the idea of HQ's moving the units. Though I imagine on the smaller scenarios there wouldn't be to much todo.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Considering the nature of the game, moving everey unit is just fine.

COTA is an excllent game but very different.  Move the HQs and the other troops move themselves.

pvthudson01

Post by pvthudson01 »

I still like moving each counter, but then again I am weird
Matrix Member since 2003!
Gregor_SSG

Post by Gregor_SSG »

ORIGINAL: raydude

My memory isn't what it used to be. I only am now starting to remember the old Battlefront engine from the 1980's. I played one - Halls of Montezuma. It was great in that the concept was so different from the usual wargame 'move counter 1...move counter 2...move counter 3...' process. In that one I gave orders to HQ's to "probe" or "attack" or "defend" and they moved the units for me. Truly revolutionary to my teenage mind.

Is this battlefront going to be like that? Or will it be one where I have to move all the counters by myself?

Ray,

You are right about the original Battlefront. It did use a very diferent approach but our experience was that a lot of guys just didn't want to play that way. I can still rememeber getting marked down in reviews for our approach.

So the new Battlefront has the traditional control everything approach that Decisive Battles had. However, the new command and supply rules mean that it's much harder to exploit your powers in unmilitary ways.

Gregor
Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.
raydude

Post by raydude »

ORIGINAL: Gregor_SSG
Ray,

You are right about the original Battlefront. It did use a very diferent approach but our experience was that a lot of guys just didn't want to play that way. I can still rememeber getting marked down in reviews for our approach.

So the new Battlefront has the traditional control everything approach that Decisive Battles had. However, the new command and supply rules mean that it's much harder to exploit your powers in unmilitary ways.

Gregor

Gregor,

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to hear that the original Battlefront wasn't well received. It was definitely different - which automatically sets you apart from all the 100+ wargames that have been released to date. I'll wait for further designer's notes and first impressions to see how your command and supply rules affect the game. Wish you all the best!

Ray

Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Raydude.

Have you played HTTR or COTA?

raydude

Post by raydude »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

Raydude.

Have you played HTTR or COTA?

Yes, and I have both and I love them. The point of an updated battlefront using the old battlefront system would be to allow a PBEM game that also emphasizes you as the commander in a modeled chain of command. That, and a nostalgic return to fond memories of my youth. Its okay, I'll judge the new Battlefront on its own merits.

Maybe the new Battlefront's model of command, control, and logistics will end up feeling "just right", like the feeling I got from playing HTTR or COTA.
wodin

Post by wodin »

It will take alot to beat the Panther Games engine.

However Im all for new wargames.
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

ORIGINAL: wodin

It will take alot to beat the Panther Games engine.
Some of us may feel that the Panther Games engine is not the competition for Battlefront's engine.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I do too. However for shear enjoyment and gameplay the Panther engine will take some beating.

Still I hope this game is one of the top turn based games.

Return to “Battlefront”