Immediate attacks?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Glorfindel

Immediate attacks?

Post by Glorfindel »

Hello! I am a complete newbie so this is probably a stupid question....

When I play the Korea-tutorial a strange thing happens: sometimes after having put the mouse-cursor over an enemy unit and the attack cursor appears and I press the right mouse button the attack is carried out right away ,that is, there is no window with the menu to choose Single Unit Attack and Single Group Attack, limited attack, plan attack etc? I have tried reloading on a number of occasions and sometimes the menu appears and sometimes the attack comes right away without me having any chance to set the conditions?! Is this a bug or have I misunderstood something here?[&:]

Thanks in advance!
JAMiAM

RE: Immediate attacks?

Post by JAMiAM »

This is what is called a "retreat before combat". Do a search on the term in the manual, to get more information on what causes this effect. Hope you're enjoying the game![:)]
hank

Post by hank »

I don't think its a bug.  I'm a newb too but I think if you have a strong unit you're going to use against a defending unit that has a low defensive rating; they run or retreat one hex back because they have no way of defending effectively.  (I'm sure there's other factors involved like terrain, etc.  ... I'm sure others will chime in soon)

I didn't  know this at first either ... but once you understand this you can look at the units defending against you and pick on the ones with low defensive numbers (1 or 2) attack them pushing them back which can open up holes for your guys to flow through.

Hope that helps ... 1st time I offered an answer ... guess I'm getting bold now that I've played a couple of weeks now.

later

Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

That´s what is called immediate support[:)] what was it 30 sec??? If I have understood you correctly this means that when attacking a vastly inferior unit you can´t really be sure to plan the order of attacks since there is a good chance the attack is carried out right away if the unit breaks away before combat? You never get the chance to coordinate the attack since you never get access to "the plan attack window"? This seems a bit odd but I guess there´s something to it...

Yes, I really enjoy what I´ve seen so far except for the fact that I think the "2D large viewing option" is far too small! I have a hard time seeing the text and numbers in native resolution 1280*1024 on my monitor!
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Thanks! Managing your RBC's (sometimes called "overruns") is an important aspect of successful TOAW III play. Your units that successfully RBC enemy units do not pay the penalty for eZOC's or suffer disengagement attacks moving through the eZOC's, and can be able to support flanking attacks against other enemy units in the line, earlier in the turn. Alternately, they can continue pursuing those fleeing units and use this to penetrate to the enemy rear.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

When you explain it I don´t think it´s odd anymore [8D] About the "small" units is there anyway around it? I´ve tried lower resolution on the monitor which makes the units bigger but then (when not in native) the picture gets a bit fuzzy. Do you know if a "larger 2d map view" is under consideration for future patches? I think that would be a big improvement not so much from an aestethic but rather functional point of view [;)]!
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: Glorfindel

I´ve tried lower resolution on the monitor which makes the units bigger but then (when not in native) the picture gets a bit fuzzy. Do you know if a "larger 2d map view" is under consideration for future patches? I think that would be a big improvement not so much from an aestethic but rather functional point of view [;)]!
There's been "talk" about it, but unless someone steps forth to blow up the existing large 2d graphic files, and smooth out all the jaggies that will show up when they are double-scaled, that's likely all it will remain...just talk.

I hear that there is an enterprising young man in Itally that does some pretty good graphics work. Maybe someone could convince him to do it...?
Industrial

Post by Industrial »

just ive us a full view of the small mini-map in a pop-up window, that would be enough for a quick overview of the entire strategic situation.
"The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

<--- aka: Kraut
Industrial

Post by Industrial »

just give us a full view of the small mini-map in a pop-up window, that would be enough for a quick overview of the entire strategic situation.

--<< EDIT >>--
The double post was intentional to boost my post count
"The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

<--- aka: Kraut
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

ORIGINAL: Glorfindel
You never get the chance to coordinate the attack since you never get access to "the plan attack window"?
There is a way to over come a defending unit’s “retreat before combat” and force the unit to take casualties defending.

Move both a ground unit and artillery unit into attacking positions. Select the artillery’s “Plan Attack” window. The artillery unit, and any available ground units will appear in the “Plan Attack” window and allow you to plan a combined ground and artillery attack without the unit immediately retreating. If you like, after the attack in planned you can disengage the artillery from direct attack and redeploy it for attacks elsewhere or general support fire.

Never performed a comprehensive test to see if the defending unit is inflicted with heavier casualties by using this method, but have seen defending units sometimes go into reorganization or retreat mode.

Regards, RhinoBones

BTW, with the name Glorfindel, I'll have to introduce you to the WotR scenario.
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
a white rabbit

Post by a white rabbit »

..or, if you think you may cause a retreat befoe combat, divide your unit into three and try with the smaller unit
..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,
alaric99x

Post by alaric99x »

Glorfindel - Was that the evil warrior queen who caused so many problems for Lokowulf in The Song of Wrygrinner?&nbsp;&nbsp; ...or am I confusing that with the Weenerland Sagas?
Lost in Europe
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: alaric99x

Glorfindel - Was that the evil warrior queen who caused so many problems for Lokowulf in The Song of Wrygrinner? ...or am I confusing that with the Weenerland Sagas?

Nope... it's from "The Fellowship of the Rings" - Glorfindel's role was replaced by Arwen in the movie version (remember the confrontation with the Nazgul at the ford)? I'm just a bit rusty on my LOTR, I think Glorfindel is Elrond's son.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

Glorfindel of Gondolin. Silmarillion.
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

There are two Glorfindels. You can look it up here:

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:

Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

Maybe we should let Glorfindel himself decide which of his two personalities is represented here. I know where my money is.
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
alaric99x

Post by alaric99x »

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who reads this classic literature.
Lost in Europe
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Glad we got the LotR thing straightened out!
&nbsp;
Does anyone else use the tactics I described in Post #10?
&nbsp;
Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:

rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Sounds like you also need to be introduced to the WotR scenario.

Regards, RhinoBones

Think there is still an AAR located here:

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forum ... light=WotR
Colin Wright:

Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

There are a few discerning others. I think a timeless classic that will sit besides other good works for ages. Eala Glorfindel!

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”