Where did you all get started (first Basball Sim)

PureSim Baseball is the ultimate baseball fan's toy, with support for both casual and hardcore baseball fans.

Moderator: puresimmer

33sherman

RE: Where did you all get started (first Basball Sim)

Post by 33sherman »

Strat-o-matic, the beginner version with only two teams!

I got the 77 Padres and 77 Mariners, and played them agaisnt eachother for like three years before graduating to the ful version with all 26 teams.

Then in the eighties I played Micro League, keeping score and stats by hand until they came out with that GM disk.
leegra

Post by leegra »

My first baseball sim was "Ethan Allen's All Star Baseball." My friends and I created a hundred (or, more) of our own discs, in addition to those with the game. Darn near wore the spinner off...

I'm probably leaving some games out, but I played "Intellivision Baseball" (arcade style, on our TV), Commodore 64 baseball games, Amiga 500 "Earl Weaver Baseball," "Microleague Baseball," "Baseball For Windows" by APBA (with Ernie Harwell's GREAT contribution), "Tony LaRussa Baseball," "High Heat Baseball," " MVP Baseball," "Baseball Mogul," "OOTP ," and "PureSim."

I've also played various boardgame sims, starting with "All Star Baseball" (a copy of the 1942 version sold yesterday for $124 on eBay), "StatisPro," "Strat-o-Matic," "APBA," and others...

Lee
ED#29

Post by ED#29 »

First sim I played was MicroLeague Baseball on the Commodore 64. My childhood friend had the game and we played at his house. I still remember Dwight Gooden (with 1985 stats) pitched a no-hitter for my team.
My buddy and I moved onto other games - Pursue the Pennant - where we started a league w/ our other friends.  Earl Weaver Baseball  1 & 2 - we had a league using EWB that ran for 6 years.  Baseball Pro 98 - I played this one solitaire since my friend and I coudn't get together very often.  I also played High Heat Baseball and now Puresim.
Walewander

Post by Walewander »

My friends and I used to play Stratomatic Baseball back in 1987 and 1988, to the point that we made our own player cards for people and had trades. We would also play out big games in the season wiffle-ball style. From there I moved on to Major League Baseball for my 286 in 1991. I lost interest when I started trying to get to laid and got back into sims after I got married in 2002.

DonBraswell

Post by DonBraswell »

Tony Larussa BB, MicroLeague 6.0, BaseBall for Windows with Ernie then PureSim. I still play BBW every once in awhile.
Don
Don Braswell

PureSim Old Timer
Claymore Cut

Post by Claymore Cut »

ORIGINAL: DonBraswell

Tony Larussa BB, MicroLeague 6.0, BaseBall for Windows with Ernie then PureSim. I still play BBW every once in awhile.
Don

I never played the SSI dos version of Tony, but ended up beta testing Tony 2-3 when they went their own way.

What happened to BBW with Ernie? I heard there won't be any more updates for it? (I never picked it up, $15 dollars per stadium for a pic kind of put me off).
looneyluden

Post by looneyluden »

My first baseball sim was micro-league baseball(at least i think that is what it was called). If i remember correctly, i was playing it on my dads old radio-shack Tandy something or other. I had a lot of fun with that game. I would input all kinds of players and stats manually to get my own up to date roster set, using baseball magazines for the info. I remember printing all kinds of stuff out too like league leaders and standings, every ten games during the season.

More recently I've played ootp 6.5 and liked that. I also tried ootp2006 but did not like it. Now I am playing puresim, and it looks like i will be staying with this game.
JReb

Post by JReb »

ORIGINAL: motnahp

Avalon Hill's Statis-Pro Baseball (board version) back in the early 80's.

Thanks for that. I couldn't remember the name to save my life. I knew it was an AH game but thats it. Also, the only AH game I could ever interest my high school buddies in. Squad Leader, Panzer Blitz just too much for the average joe!
My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!
DonBraswell

Post by DonBraswell »

The story on the APBA board is that APBA is still trying to get the rights from the Miller Bros. The Millers quit after all of the MLB player law suits. I don't buy stadiums, I made my own. Listening to Ernie takes me back to an eleven year old with the radio under the pillow trying to get the fading signal of a White Sox game out of Chicago. It was hard to be a Yankee and White Sox fan living in Alabama.
Don
Don Braswell

PureSim Old Timer
donkuchi19

Post by donkuchi19 »

First overall baseball sim was a dice game like Dandric's. A friend of mine showed me how to play. Took 3 dice. 1-2-4 was a double. 1-2-5 was a single. 1-1-1 or 6-6-6 were homeruns.

First computer game was Hardball for my old Sega Genesis.

First PC was High Heat Baseball.

(I also had the Cinemaware football and basketball and loved them both)

First and only text sim for baseball has been Puresim.
Amaroq

Post by Amaroq »

ORIGINAL: DonBraswell

The story on the APBA board is that APBA is still trying to get the rights from the Miller Bros. The Millers quit after all of the MLB player law suits. I don't buy stadiums, I made my own. Listening to Ernie takes me back to an eleven year old with the radio under the pillow trying to get the fading signal of a White Sox game out of Chicago. It was hard to be a Yankee and White Sox fan living in Alabama.
Don

Heh. At age 12, maybe '85 or '86, I was flipping through the radio looking for 'something good' one evening. I picked up a Red Sox game, coming in crystal clear, which struck me as being the 'game of the week' or some such. Only a couple innings into it did I start figuring out that felt like a local broadcast. Surely rebroadcast somewhere closer to home, I figured.

About the 7th inning it started fading towards static, and I remember frantically playing with it trying to tune it perfectly. No dice - I was just losing it! Finally, I settled on what I thought was the 'best' setting for it, and forced myself not to touch it again. I had to really concentrate to listen through the static for the ninth inning, which the Sox won in dramatic fashion if I recall, Wade Boggs coming through with a two-out double in the ninth to drive the Fenway Park crowd wild..

I made sure not to touch the dial when I turned it off, but the next morning, there was nothing but static at that point on the dial.

Freak atmospheric conditions, I figure now - but from then on I was a closet Red Sox fan [:D] - despite having always favored the pinstripes before that!
Claymore Cut

Post by Claymore Cut »

/bump for all the new Players...
rowech

Post by rowech »

Computer it was MicroLeague Baseball II.  Moved onto the Front Page Sports baseball game.  In between those two, I got into board games using Statis-Pro, Strat-O-Matic, and Pursue the Pennant.  I'm now a Replay Baseball man having solf off all of my other baseball board games. 
SittingDuck

Post by SittingDuck »

Computer was Earl Weaver, the Original.  Cards/dice was Avalon Hill.  I never was exposed to Strat-O-Matic, but wish I had been.
Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous »

And here I thought I was the only person to have played Earl Weaver's Baseball on a Commodore Amiga. [:)]

My good friend and I grew up big baseball fans, and we played the old Avalon Hill board game Statis-Pro Baseball (in a box up in the attic even right now). I remember an old computer arcade game called "Hardball", but I can't remember on what gaming/computer system it was based.  (This was a game back in the mid 80's (?) and featured only two teams, the Champs and the All-Stars.  I remember scoring the games and keeping records of the stats.)

There was another computer game (pre-Earl Weaver) that I remember playing (it must have been on a Commodore 64), but for the life of me I can't remember the name.

Those games were great, but I'm glad that games like ProSim now exist to make stats-keeping much more automated! [;)]
Nukester

Post by Nukester »

I started with the old All-Star Baseball game with the round cards and the spinners. Then, believe it or not, I move on to "Charlie Brown Baseball". This was the game that taught me how to keep a scorebook, and the differences between different pitches. From there I played a game called "Longball" in which you have ratings on each player, and each team had there own team card. You rolled 2 8-sided dice and looked at charts to see the outcome. From there it was Strat-O-Matic and Superstar Baseball (I think that was an SI game). Probably the only tabletop sim I didnt play was APBA.

From there we moved onto the computer age. I remember going into the computer store (in the mid 80's there were not many games of any kind on the market) and picking up a copy of "Radio Baseball" and a copy of "Microleague Baseball". I ended up buying Microleague "because of the awesome graphics !!". From there it was Earl Weaver, Hardball (bleh), APBA - Ernie Harwell's Broadcast Blast (man, if someone could do speech like that in a game now, it would be GOLDEN !!), FPSBBPro, High Heat, then OOTP. Im just now looking into PureSim
sposfan

Post by sposfan »

First baseball game was SOM dice and cards with the 1982 season. kept playing that until the computer version came out and then switched to that and then got fed up with SOM and went to DMB, fell in love and never looked back!

Pretty much played all the cards and dice games: SOM, Sherco, Replay, Statis Pro and a whole bunch others that have faded into memory!

Also played earl weaver. I remember going to the community library to use the computer, since mine didn't have the vga or ega screen needed to run it! <G>

Played another game, think it was something like SI baseball or something on my old 286. Played Puresim since pretty much day 1, but this version really gave me the bug, I've played it more than I've probably played all previous versions combined!!

Still play DMB, puresim and recently (past 3-4 years) got back into the card and dice game with Replay baseball, which i still play from time to time, but not often enough!
akcranker

Post by akcranker »

My first baseball games were all arcade type games on consoles.&nbsp; I've always enjoyed all of those games because I could control the players and teams but as the years went on they added more and more GM capabilities and I loved it but they never seemed to have the complete package and then while browsing the internet for a good text based sim I came across Puresim 2003 and I've been a fan of it ever since.
Nth Power

Post by Nth Power »

Myself and a few friends started playing Pursue the Pennant back in the early '90s and couldn't get enough.&nbsp; One of the yearly highlights was getting the new year's&nbsp;card set with all the new stats.&nbsp; Good memories of those times!
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

Earl Weaver on on old IBM XT, APBA DOS version, then BBW and now its PS & OOTP
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Return to “PureSim Baseball”