hold your fire!

A brand new campaign-based 3D tactical engine covering combat in World War II, from the developers at Koios Works. The first operation covered is the famous "Wintergewitter" or Winter Storm, a desperate attempt by Hoth's 57th Panzer Korps to break through to the encircled 6th Armee at Stalingrad and the Soviet counter-attack by 2nd Guards Army that drove them back.

Moderator: koiosworks

raydude

hold your fire!

Post by raydude »

I decided to try out the Soviet campaign and got clobbered in the first scenario. Part of the problem was that my AT guns decided they should fire at maximum range. Thus they gave away their positions and opened up with minimal effectiveness to the Panzers. Is there a way to tell them to hold fire until they get closer?

Or at least shouldn't the AI commander know his firing parameters enough to open up when it is effective, not at maximum distance?
Erik Rutins

RE: hold your fire!

Post by Erik Rutins »

Ray,

They shouldn't open fire until they have better than a "poor" shot. So an average shot or a good shot, they will open fire. You can restrict this to a degree by placing them deeper in the woodline or behind it. A "hold fire" order has been requested by a few folks and we plan on implementing something along those lines to give the player a bit more control when desired.

One bit of advice on that first scenario is that you really want to slow the Germans down, so causing chaos in their initial attack, whether by charging in with those flanking T-70s or through artillery and air strikes, is a big help. The longer you can keep them from getting a single objective, the better a chance you'll have of getting your VP goal before they put it out of reach. I also advise, in general, keeping your T-34s back in a reverse slope defense until the Germans get closer or expose their flank if they decide to head for the northern objective.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm”