Some questions

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.
Dragonheart

Some questions

Post by Dragonheart »

Hi,
I´m new to GoG and after reading the manual i cant figure out

-how one can get additional corps, armies for your country
-how to swap men between 2 Divs
-how to propose treaties to other countries

tku vm for help
Southern Hunter

RE: Some questions

Post by Southern Hunter »

In the development screen for each region, there is a 'build' menu. Use this to buy / build more troops (divisions), Corps and Armies. You need a lot of textiles to build Corps (80 per Corps).

Inspect the region where the army is located. Select a division and you will see it highlighted (in green?). Then click in another division, and it will allow you to specify how many men to move. Their morale moves with them, and an average is taken.

Use the diplomacy screen to make new treaties. There is a 'new treaties' section! Go in there and experiment.
Dragonheart

Post by Dragonheart »

Tku...the first to things i noticed myself meanwhile but the diplomatic thing is something tricky for me ..i can only use my diplomat properly....could not manage to make useful treaties.

Another annoying thing for me was that i influencend Batavia for seveeral years rocking their attitute to 2500 with england 150 secend and finally england got them as protectorate[:@] [&:] (playing sweden and got denmark in that way) Is the human limit really only 100 gold!!!... the max limit you can invest? Some AI nations pumped up to 1000 into some nations in one shot. I had much more money but could only invest 100.

Edit: Figured out meanwhile....can give them several times 100.
Mutis

Post by Mutis »

Hi Dragon,

I bougth the game 1 weeak ago and I am already trying to set up the first turn, and thrust me, not is my first deep strategy game!. I've played HOI2 that seemes to be the standard reference so I read.

Well, I'd like to know how to carry out the transfer of manpower between divisions, something that you and Hunter and you seem to have yet clear.

I go to the province's view where my Grand armee stay, then select the militia and then select the Imperial Guard (they are low of men I think), but nothing happens!. Of course, I tried with another units of lower entity, but is the same.

I'd apreciate whatever advice on this issue.

Mutis through the forum.
Clausel

Post by Clausel »

You need to go into the military screen. There select the unit you wish to transfer from and then hold the cursor over the unit you wish to reinforce. If a transfer is possible the word MEN will appear under the cusor, left click and a reinforcement scale appears. Initially the scale is into the thousands, but you can repeat the exercise through different scales of lesser value ie into the hundreds, tens, ones until the unit is at maximum readiness strength if you wish. Note that the units have to be in the same force/province and you can only transfer from like to like eg infantry/militia to infantry, light infantry to light infantry but not light infantry to infantry nor militia to Guard.
Mutis

Post by Mutis »

Thank for your time Clausel!

I'm going to test it just now.

Be happy please.

Mutis

Post by Mutis »

OK, it works, and furthermore, it also works in the province view, but I can avoid to feel a bit disapointed. Because...

¿How it is possible to reinforce the elite units?... ¿only by doing new elite units and then doing the transfer?..

I realized that in this game (french 1805) the fisrt turn must be critical. If you don't begin beating the enemy, like Napoleon did, it could converts in a defensive war, and losing initiative is not good in a war game, and in a real war I think.

In whatever case I'll do my best with my poor knowlegdges at this moment. But I fear that if I don't reach a victory soon I will change to paly another game where the first turn isn't so... hard.

Thanks again.

PD: I'm not a english native, so sorry about my faults.

Clausel

Post by Clausel »

Thanks Mutis. I can remember feeling confused when I first started playing COG but my advice is to keep persevering as its well worth the investment of your time. (Particularly the latest version 1.2.18 beta). My preference is the 1792 scenario as the major powers are more equal and units less experienced at that stage and you can have 20 + years to recover from any early mistakes.

As for reinforcement of your elite units that will happen along with other units through normal depot supply (if placed)which is higher in home than enemy territory. From memory I think the maximum is up to 2000 per unit per turn in home territory, 1000 in neutral and 500 in enemy territory although this will of course depend on you having enough trained reinforcements available in your draft/trained pool and priority is given to home based units.
Dragonheart

Post by Dragonheart »

Yes 2000 seems to be the limit.

@ Multis
Btw when you transfer men then always fill the higher moral unit from low moral units ...it seems that COG is not calculating the average but all your men will get the moral from the unit which is filled up with men.

Well it takes some time to figure it out but then its a great game. I restarted sweden 4 times on just "normal" and finally i m the leader in glory at least after 10 years...but another 10 years i have to go.

In my next game i will try preussia which seems to be a huge challenge as in all of my games so far they are reduced to Brandenburg. [:D]
Southern Hunter

Post by Southern Hunter »

ORIGINAL: Dragonheart

Yes 2000 seems to be the limit.

@ Multis
Btw when you transfer men then always fill the higher moral unit from low moral units ...it seems that COG is not calculating the average but all your men will get the moral from the unit which is filled up with men.

No, actually it does average the morale, but this is not IMMEDIATELY clear when you do it. If you do something else then look again, your morale will have been averaged.
Mutis

Post by Mutis »

Than you all guys, it seems that I am getting on it, and getting more addict according I play.

Only that I have a few new questions:

- When the battle reports casualties, pows are not counted as such, are they?.

- I have now a lot of POWs, austrian and russian. ¿What can I do with them?. Is true that the POWs armys and corps can be used like yours?.

- Switzerland seems to be a primary goal for the Austrian. I am now just pointing to his capital but they persist in take this province, is ever so? (playing with french I mean). I dont´t understand how they can come an come after the repeated defeats, ¿don't loss his moral that dawned people?.

- The naval issue is annoying to me. I have merchants ships that I don't dare to send to sail because they must cross through the british fleets in the channel, that seem live there. ¿Is there any way to break the blockade?, other than send my poor fleet to sink under his greater power I mean.

Thanks again for your answers.

Dragonheart

Post by Dragonheart »

ORIGINAL: Mutis

Than you all guys, it seems that I am getting on it, and getting more addict according I play.

Only that I have a few new questions:

- When the battle reports casualties, pows are not counted as such, are they?.

- I have now a lot of POWs, austrian and russian. ¿What can I do with them?. Is true that the POWs armys and corps can be used like yours?.

- Switzerland seems to be a primary goal for the Austrian. I am now just pointing to his capital but they persist in take this province, is ever so? (playing with french I mean). I dont´t understand how they can come an come after the repeated defeats, ¿don't loss his moral that dawned people?.

- The naval issue is annoying to me. I have merchants ships that I don't dare to send to sail because they must cross through the british fleets in the channel, that seem live there. ¿Is there any way to break the blockade?, other than send my poor fleet to sink under his greater power I mean.

Thanks again for your answers.

Well i m new too but i try to answer your questions.

- Pow´s are not counted
- You never get an army or corps as Pow, Pow´s are just represented with a flag and in the newest patch you cant use them for anything. I just put them into my cities that they dont get rescued until warend.
- dunno about austria ...maybe austrian AI is sripted that swizerland is critical for him.
- as long you are at war with britain dont send your merchants out they will get killed for no use...if you send them out then send them to the med where the brits dont find them but this also depends if you are at war with spain or tuerkey.

Some experienced player can correct me if i m wrong.
jimwinsor

Post by jimwinsor »

Switzerland is a popular province in this game. More so that it was historically I think, not so much due to how the AI is scripted but to it's size and shape, and the movement system.

The path finding AI of course tries to plot the shortest route in terms of movement probability, and between Paris and Vienna that means going thru Switerland.  That's 'cause despite the initiative penalty for moving thru the Alps, Switzerland is the preferred route since it is only one province. The historical northern route along the Danube (and the southern across north Italy) involves marching thru at least three provinces to go the same east-west distance, and despite the more level terrain is just not as easy to move thru.

It be nice if perhaps there was a way to fix this, and channel Franco-Austrian confict lines back into more their (more) historic upper Danube/N. Italy paths.  One is to lower the starting Roads in Switzerland.  Not sure that would quite do the job well enough though. Another would be to increase the initiative cost for mountain movement.  Of course that would make all mountains slower to cross, not just Switzerland.

The preferred means IMO would be to split the overly large Switzerland in two. Like a west Swiss capital province of Bern (?), and an east Swiss province of Chur (or maybe call it Schwyz, or something).  Both mountainous, low starting Roads, hence hard to move across.  This would make Switzerland much less the superhighway shortcut between Paris and Vienna it currently is now.
Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
Mutis

Post by Mutis »

Hello mates!

I've finally achieved the Austria surrender, and then the doubts returns to me...

It seems that I have to sign a surrender treaty but I don't know what is better to get from them with the apparent 6500 points limit.

I had thought in 2 provinces, Austria & Prague, and a declaration of war in Russia. That's just 6500 points.

But my main doubt is about the reliability of the treaty... ¿are the austrian going to keep it?. Well, the time will say, and if they don´t keep it...better for me, I am wishing crushing again them and get more provinces.

But in the meanwhile, ¿what is supossed the french should do?...

The prussian is a sweet tempting, and furthermore they have signed a treaty with Sweeden.

In the other hand, my main rival in glory is Spain, my loyal ally. ¿Must I send his army to the east and attack his defenceless home? [:D]... or maybe it causes I lose points of glory... [&:]

In whatever case, the game is simply excellent because of all the alternatives it propose a each moment.

Dragonheart

Post by Dragonheart »

They are obliged to make whatever the surreder conditions are. The only thing i found out is not working. You can not tell a surrendering party to cede provinces to a 3rd party.

In my game with sweden i wanted to strenghen the battered austrians to regain balance in central europe but in this way the surrender conditions are void. I went with my old save took all provinces myself and handed them austria one round later.

With France i guess you can kickass everyone you want. I dunno how long you play but an early lead in QP is dangerous as all countries will declare war on you. And vs a combinded force even France is without chances.

Meanwhile i finished my game with Sweden (1792;20 years, 4000 QP), i concentrated on my economy and to get some minors peacefully first.....a long time i was far behind ...then a long time 3rd...but finally i had a comfortable lead and won.

Now i go for Prussia which is the most difficult country to play IMO.
Mutis

Post by Mutis »

Hi Dragon.

¿are you sure that there is no limit for the conditions?. Then, ¿what is the "xxxxx/6500" that appears at the bottom of the screen for?... ¿and the text below that numbers that indicates if it would be accepted or refused?.. Don't believe they give you his whole empire...

I have read about the dangers to be leader on QP (Glory Points?), but that's the goal of the game, isn't it?.  in whatever case, I will keep an eye on it.

Sorry but I don't undestand the benefits of give away provinces to another power.... maybe is necessary with Sweeden or in any other moment of the game.

By the moment I have enough with the frenchs (novice as I am), but supossed that in time I will risk with another empire. Then I will hope from you to be here for your advices... [:D]

Dragonheart

Post by Dragonheart »

I meant that within this limit they have to accept everything you like......i had sometimes 11000 btw...captured some cities and had some nice diplomats on the board. [:D]

The benefit was to strenghen my ally and to keep all other balanced whilst i was growing. [;)]

I m novice myself but on a dump day in the office i spent the whole day to read all posts since this game is out. [:D]
Mutis

Post by Mutis »

I am like you, in the office with few work to do, so I spend the time trying to learn more tips about this game. [;)]

So, ¿have you any interesting tip for detailed combats?.

I only can points out a few, ones that you, and the rest of player, would already know:

- Light Cavalry: I use this men for to run behind the enemy lines. Apart of take a look in whatever they bring, I think it causes tha AI to disorientate, giving me more time to prepare the battle line, knowing precisely the direction from they come. If possible I attack his suply wagons, but only if there isn't enemy cavalry in sight.

- Heavy Cavalry: I believe that the the better use for this men is charge in line formation, but I only have had chances for this two or three times.

- Infantry: Mainly does the role of the bait, or the cannon fodder. Also for cover the flanks of artillery. In some situation can make a good job from the heights.

- Artillery: My favourite unit!. For me these are the guys that decide the sign of the battle. Two or three division, ones besides another, with a good position, a fair line of shooting, and flanked with infantry, in line or in square if necessary, are almost unsurpassable!. But to achieve that position is neccesary enough time, the time the light cavalry can get for you. Of course I get all the upgrades for artillery the first.

Nothing new for you, isn´t it?...[&:]

Dragonheart

Post by Dragonheart »

Well honestly said so far i was to lazy to go for the detailed combat. I wanted to learn the normal game mechanics first before i go for detailed battle tactics.

But i have a nice mixture for quick battles. My armies which contain 14-15 fighting units (Army+1 corps) have 2-3 heavy arty, 3-4 heavy cav, 3-4 Rifle-Inf, 2-3 Light Inf remaining spots are filled with normal inf, guard doesnst make sense in Quick combat although i bought 1.
So i have elite-troops which are very expensive.

BTW arty on heights i read somewhere isnt that effective as it were on the same level like the opponent.....so better let your arty on the ground.

Is there any friendly fire too in detailed combat?
Mutis

Post by Mutis »

I don´t think so, al least there is a line of sight direct to the enemy premise before you can fire.

I like a lot the detailed battle, it is enough quick and you have all the control. In quick battles, like the ones that occurs when one of the armys is small, I don´t undestand well what happens. And, how it is written in elsewhere, you obtain better results.

But is is like all, a taste matter.

PD: Artillery must be on flat terrain for a better effect, yes.

Return to “The War Room”