Scenarios

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Great_Ajax

Scenarios

Post by Great_Ajax »

Been absent from the TOAW community for awhile and would like to update the scenarios that I have designed now that the interest is back up and I am starting to get some feedback. Browsing the forums, it looks like I need to make sure that a couple of units can move in South Holland and Army Group South Hungary. Most of my scenarios never get much feedback so if you have some, send it my way here or via email at trey.marshall@hotmail.com.

Trey
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
Uncle_Joe

RE: Scenarios

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Hi Trey,

I've been updating and tweaking your original TWW scenario for years now (I was a tester for the original version). I'm continuing to do so with TOAW3, but I've hit a snagging point with the airpower. In CoW, NATO had a good chance to stop the Pact if played well. Once I started playing it in TOAW3, this was no longer the case. I thought the new 'flanking' model might have been responsible since perhaps the NATO tanks pay a higher price now.

But what I've determined is that it is the total ineffectiveness of non-interdiction airpower that is the cause. Battles that draw in 100's of NATO aircraft used to be very costly for the Pact. Now, those planes rarely change the results and they receive horrid casualties in return. So, by the later turns of the game, NATO airpower is largely decimated without the counter-punch ability they had in CoW.

I'm now waiting on the next patch which is supposed to reduce AA power quite a bit and see if that restores balance. Previously I was thinking that with the engine change, I needed to whittle down the Pact strength but that might not be necessary if air power is restored.

I have gone through and tweaked the OOBs to add Army, Corps, and Front HQs to the respective sides and I've also reduced/degraded the Pact equipment in their Cat C and lower priority Cat B divisions to be more in line with the unit composition in the board game (and in Frank Chadwick's Combined Arms rules set which seems to be have been written at about the same time).

Finally, I've mucked around with the VPs a bit to try and nudge the players into taking 'historically' important areas (and to compensate for the 'loss penalty which was never a factor in the original board game).

All in all, just that one scenarios has kept me interested in the Op Art engine for years. I play other scenarios as well, but I always come back to the TWW at some point. So, thanks again for releasing it. Just through my tweaking I know how much work had to go into it in the first place! I appreciate the effort spent to make the conversion very much.

Veers

Post by Veers »

Trey,

I just want to thank you for the superb job you did with the Western Front 1944-1945 scenario. When I first picked it up for CoW I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I've now put away one PBEM game and have two others going. I love it, I always wanted a scenario that had the Italian and Western Fronts linked.
It's been a pleasure playing it and if I ever have any feedback about it, I'll let you know. I have a completed AAR and partial AAR up for my first two games at http://www.xtreme-gamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42300 and http://www.xtreme-gamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42421 maybe you can gather some feedback from that. :)
To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.
Vincenzo_Beretta

Post by Vincenzo_Beretta »

Hey Trey! Welcome back! If you do not have any feedback is because we are too busy playing the scenarios! [:D][:D][:D]

Thanks for all the great work. I'w waiting for TWW revisited, too, since I had a blast playing it on COW.
Mailer22

Post by Mailer22 »

Trey

With the hundreds of user scenerios out there of variable quality, your name on the scenerio is like a brand name for quality. If I see your name in the briefing I know the scenerio will be well designed and feel comfortable going ahead and downloading and playing.
Mailer
vetacon

Post by vetacon »

I gave feedback in another thread on the US glider regiments in West Wall Holland (applies both to 101st and 82nd) which is simple to fix. Otherwise it's a superb  scenario ([&o]), playing out almost identical to historical outcome - 1st Airborne can't secure a defensible foothold in Arnhem thanks to KG Krafft, restricted to Oosterbeek perimeter; XXX Corps break out held up early on and then again on the way into Nijmegen etc... I'm playing against the PO and it does a good job (though I am a newb).

Just posted to say thanks for putting in the time to give me hours of fun playing out my favourite historical battle. [:D]
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Trey, why did you give permission for some apparently unfinished scenarios like AGS Hungary to be included in TOAW 3?

Otherwise, I love your WW3 scenarios and recommend them whenever someone asks for scenario recomendation. But seeing something so obviously unfinished and untested carrying your name on it was a disappointment to be honest.

hank

Post by hank »

This is excellent info!  I've looked at scenario list ratings on a couple of sites and find them hard to decipher other than the won/lost/draw ratio's.  Knowing that a particular author of a scenario is considered one of the best, I can now look for his scenario's and have a good feel its well thought out and fun to play.

Any other names I should look for?  I'm really enjoying Brian Topp's Barbarosa.  I also like McBride's "Plan Martin". 

thanks
[&o]

Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: hank
This is excellent info!  I've looked at scenario list ratings on a couple of sites and find them hard to decipher other than the won/lost/draw ratio's.  Knowing that a particular author of a scenario is considered one of the best, I can now look for his scenario's and have a good feel its well thought out and fun to play.

Well, actually a point of my post was: I withdraw my recommendation for at least some of Trey's scenarios [:-]
dobeln

Post by dobeln »

Yay! :) It's Trey! :P Great to see you back in business, and looking forward to any update to your WW III scenario, especially! :) (From you or Uncle_Joe)
jbunnelle

Post by jbunnelle »

Trey, I've loved your COW scenarios for years.  Along with Daniel McBride and Brian Topp's scns, they're the first things I uploaded into TOAW3.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Hi, Oleg! Sorry to bump in here off topic, but noticing your picture I cannot help wondering what you told Zidane that made him go berserk?! [;)]
Der Oberst

Post by Der Oberst »

Trey's stuff is very good. Eventually you'll also want to check out Daniel McBide's scenarios. I LOVE his Operation Crusader scenario and have started playing Drng Nacht Osten against the computer. He's got 4-5 others out there as well. Good stuff.

Regards,

Der Oberst
-----------------------------------------
82nd Airborne

Post by 82nd Airborne »

ORIGINAL: Der Oberst

Trey's stuff is very good. Eventually you'll also want to check out Daniel McBide's scenarios. I LOVE his Operation Crusader scenario and have started playing Drng Nacht Osten against the computer. He's got 4-5 others out there as well. Good stuff.

DNO has a programmed PO?
"I leave you, hoping that the lamp of liberty will burn in your bosoms until there shall no longer be a doubt that all men are created free and equal." - Abraham Lincoln
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: 82nd Airborne

ORIGINAL: Der Oberst

DNO has a programmed PO?
No, it doesn't. He should do well, then...[:D]
Der Oberst

Post by Der Oberst »

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

ORIGINAL: 82nd Airborne

DNO has a programmed PO?
No, it doesn't. He should do well, then...[:D]
[/quote]

Hmm..... so THAT"S why I always win ............[X(]

Regards,