Art in MWiF

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

coregames

Art in MWiF

Post by coregames »

I'm curious, is the box art on this game (if it gets a boxed edition and is not just direct download) going to be MacGowan's excellent work from the ADG game? Or is Matrix going to have their own take on it. If ADG can't transfer the rights to Roger's art directly to Matrix, perhaps Matrix can work out a package deal with Roger for art from both WiF and Harper's game, AWaW, since both are now Matrix projects.
"The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie." -- Lasker

Keith Henderson
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: Art in MWiF

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: coregames
I'm curious, is the box art on this game (if it gets a boxed edition and is not just direct download) going to be MacGowan's excellent work from the ADG game? Or is Matrix going to have their own take on it. If ADG can't transfer the rights to Roger's art directly to Matrix, perhaps Matrix can work out a package deal with Roger for art from both WiF and Harper's game, AWaW, since both are now Matrix projects.

First let me say it is good to have you back.

Box art is outside my jurisdiction, but I can give you what information I know (or think I know). Matrix has a contract with ADG so the rights to use the box art from WIFFE (for example) shouldn't be a problem. Yesterday Dave asked me for screen shots to show at Origins 2006 ( I sent him 22) and he mentioned something about trying to find the cover art from the WIF FE box. I assume he wanted to use it in combination with the screen shots from MWIF.

In general, I expect Matrix to make the right/best decision about this. From where I sit, a boxed version is not certain, but it certainly seems the right thing to do. Also, using the enormously well known WIF box art strikes me as a no-brainer decision. Why wouldn't they?

Please do not take the above comments as anything more than glimpses into a vague future. These are not my decisions to make.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
coregames

Post by coregames »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

First let me say it is good to have you back.

Thank you Steve. My compulsory hiatus from WiF is over. I've been itching to get involved in this process without causing grief in my marriage, and i know what i want for my birthday if MWiF is released by October (or for Christmas if not).

Frankly, I'm amazed at how this is progressing, and how many of the more vocal advocates and opponents of PBEM have been brought on board in a (mostly) harmonious manner. Nothing against the MEiA team, but I do wish progress there was as continuous and updated as regularly as it is here. If things go as you envision them, and the game sells well, your methodology should serve as a model for future ports of boardgames. (Imperium Romanum II?)

Keith Henderson
Manic Inertia

Post by Manic Inertia »

Hi 'coregames'...

Can I ask if you would be patient enough to explain your signature quote? It sounds interesting but I can't make any sense of it. And who's Laskar?
Jeff Gilbert

Post by Jeff Gilbert »

Emanuel Lasker - Worlds second chess champion 1894 [?].
The full quote if from Lasker's "Manual of Chess" circa 1932

"On the chessboard, lies and hypocrisy do not survive long. The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie; the merciless fact, culminating in the checkmate, contradicts the hypocrite."
Jeff Gilbert
US Army [Ret]
Palm Harbor, Florida, USA
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Manic Inertia

Hi 'coregames'...

Can I ask if you would be patient enough to explain your signature quote? It sounds interesting but I can't make any sense of it. And who's Laskar?
I am guessing here but I suspect that Lasker is the famous chess player and he is talking about himself making a brilliant move in chess (creative combination) which reveals his opponent's error in believing (presumption) that he (Lasker) had previously made an unsound move (a lie).
Steve

Jeff Gilbert

Post by Jeff Gilbert »

What he said ... [:)]
Jeff Gilbert
US Army [Ret]
Palm Harbor, Florida, USA
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

I like Capablanca. He was more to my style.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
coregames

Post by coregames »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I am guessing here but I suspect that Lasker is the famous chess player and he is talking about himself making a brilliant move in chess (creative combination) which reveals his opponent's error in believing (presumption) that he (Lasker) had previously made an unsound move (a lie).

Emmanuel Lasker was chess champion of the world longer than any other player in history (28 years) and is widely thought to be the first world champion who used what he knew of his opponent's tendencies when formulating a plan of action over the board. He was famous for fighting on and salvaging a losing position. Lasker remained a world-class player well into his sixties, winning and placing in major events against the strongest players in the world. He was also one of the world's strongest players of both dominoes and bridge, and was an early proponent of 'go' in the west. All of this while having the truer passions of math and philosophy, in which he accomplished some things of note that he is seldom recognized for, due to his legendary status in the chess community.

I don't believe he was talking merely about himself in the quote you mention. His 'Manual of Chess' attempts to be artistic in its language, as well as practical in its advice. I think the quote can be applied to all games, and in fact, to life in general. Many logically flawed arguments are accepted because they seem to make sense, but under scrutiny, their less obvious weak points can be discovered and exposed. This process is often more creative than it is rigorous. I like it when fallacies aren't allowed to stand as truth, and Lasker's faith in the power of creativity to expose them (naive though it might be) appeals to my sensibilities.

And to Neilster, I am fond of Capablanca's games. If he had given Lasker a rematch (when the latter wasn't ill and was in practice), then perhaps he would have been deserving of a rematch with Alekhine when his turn came.

Keith Henderson
Manic Inertia

Post by Manic Inertia »

Using such pious and convoluted vocabulary to describe ones own endeavours is, to say the least IMHO a little conceited, but I'm actually going to go out on a limb here and postulate that this Laskar chappie was a seriously pretentious wanker. Perhaps he'd have benefitted from someone  massaging a chess piece into one of his narrow orifices rather than moving it around a chequerboard in front of him.

Just my ten cents worth.
coregames

Post by coregames »

ORIGINAL: Manic Inertia

Using such pious and convoluted vocabulary to describe ones own endeavours is, to say the least IMHO a little conceited...

Perhaps convoluted, but while we are on the subject of vocabulary, perhaps you should consult a dictionary about the meaning of the word 'pious'. As I pointed out earlier, it was a quote from a chess manual, not a press clipping, and it does not refer to Lasker's own games, but to chess in general. I have nothing against you Manic Inertia, but I do think your post shows the advantage of having a good vocabulary, and thus you were unwittingly arguing against the point you were trying to make.

On that note, I will discuss Lasker no further in a thread that was supposed to be about art in MWiF.

Keith Henderson
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: coregames
And to Neilster, I am fond of Capablanca's games. If he had given Lasker a rematch (when the latter wasn't ill and was in practice), then perhaps he would have been deserving of a rematch with Alekhine when his turn came.

I have nothing but admiration for all these great chess players you mentioned. But I can't resist noting that Alekhine (I think it was he) said, tongue in cheek, he had never defeated an opponent who was in good health.
Steve

Return to “World in Flames”