when to stop minelaying?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

hosho

when to stop minelaying?

Post by hosho »

i have an ml tf at rangoon and i`ve been minelaying an enemy base at akyab ( or what ever the name is [:)] ) for more than a month. but i`ve experienced "suicide" of 2 my mls from own mines[:@]. someone has lost the maps of minefields or ...? is there a point when i should stop laying mines? are there any hints that say this is the time to stop minelaying an enemy port? i`m a jap player.
the first ones are remembered
Terminus

RE: when to stop minelaying?

Post by Terminus »

The time to stop is when your enemy loses the base.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
hosho

Post by hosho »

maybe i have kamikaze minelayers? or a commander that likes sake too much
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

The best way to mine a hex that is not one of your bases is to put ML carrying 1500-2000 mines together in one TF, steam to the hex under cover of some nearby distraction or other, drop your mines, and never return there for any reason.[;)]

The biggest minelaying mistake you can make is to mine an enemy base that you are planning a landing on.
Fear the kitten!
Drex

Post by Drex »

I'm not sure 1500-2000 mines are enough for defense. I've had success in hitting ships even when preceded by MSWs by laying 4000+ mines. And I use multiple trips with no problems.
Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

**shrugs** I've had good results with that number of mines. the enemy doesn't know how many mines you laid. If he hits one, it doesn't really matter whether there's ten or 10,000. After that it's a question of where you are placing them. If it is someplace where you have air superiority, he isn't likely to want to risk a minesweeping mission there.

Offensive minefields are never going to produce great results in sinking enemy ships. The purpose of an offensive minefield is to deny use of that hex to the enemy.
Fear the kitten!
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: irrelevant
The biggest minelaying mistake you can make is to mine an enemy base that you are planning a landing on.

Been there, done that...[:D] Same if you plan to bombard. Your own offensive minefields are way more dangerous to Bombardment TF than any defensive ones enemy has laid.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

ORIGINAL: Drex

I'm not sure 1500-2000 mines are enough for defense. I've had success in hitting ships even when preceded by MSWs by laying 4000+ mines. And I use multiple trips with no problems.
...now if it's defensive minefields you are talking about, I agree, you can't have too many mines. Sure, 4000, 5000, why should you ever stop laying mines there? It's not like they cost you anything more than about 4 supply points each. [;)]
Fear the kitten!
BrucePowers

Post by BrucePowers »

I do not plan on laying offensive minefields. As the allies I figure they will just get in my way later. As the IJN player I figure my minelayer time is better spent laying defensive fields.
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

In my current PBEM my Allied opponant has mined every base he can. It is March of 42 and I have lost 10APs, 5DDs, a SS (a mine laying one no less), and a few PCs to mines. Mines and costal guns have sunk more ships than air strikes thus far.

I think he has done most of this via sub and I never fail to hit a mine no matter how small the mine field. [:@]
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
aletoledo

Post by aletoledo »

I've also lost quite a few ships to offensive minefields (both my own and enemy laid ones). I have tended to stop laying offensive mine fields when I start hitting my own mines. it seems to give good results for a couple of weeks and then I can start laying again.
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

I'll go with 3000 as being a minimal goal for a defensive minefield that you want to make a difference in terms of stopping an enemy landing at one of your bases.

The minefield itself will not stop the landing. The minefield is part of a "rock, paper, scissors" defence that should include significant counter-strike capability (air and/or surface) as well as a credible defense on the ground in the base hex.

I have had 3000+ minefields be a part of stopping two major invasions, so I'm a believer.

I haven't had to face anyone doing this to me yet - but if I did, I'd say the counter includes subs (to sink the minelayers) as well as countermining (with subs or DM). In my second example, I think I lost 4 minelayers to subs in the hex and it did slow down the build up of the minefield. My opponent also counter-mined though not extensively. One of my BBs hit a mine ( probably enemy but can't be sure ) when my surface force counter-attacked the landing. But I do not think my opponent made extensive use of counter-mining, so that would be something try.

I've used 7000 and even 9000 sized fields, but had the "feeling" that the 3000 size field was accomplishing the purpose (surviving in the face of dozens of MSW and sinking dozens of AP/AK which were trying to land the landing force) so 3000 still gets my vote as "optimal". But you never "stop" minelaying in a base you are trying to set up with a large field. You must continuously resow, just to sustain the field at a number like 3000. One good minelayer is probably sufficient for this purpose.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
hosho

Post by hosho »

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

The best way to mine a hex that is not one of your bases is to put ML carrying 1500-2000 mines together in one TF, steam to the hex under cover of some nearby distraction or other, drop your mines, and never return there for any reason.[;)]

agreed! but since i have air superiority don`t have to steam so much [:D]
well i`m not planing to land there, already have chandpur, i`m just trying to stop the replenishment and to starve them out before mopping up eventually ( that is the theory, will see what will happen )

thank you all for your comments!
dtravel

Post by dtravel »

You should stop laying mines when there isn't any more room for them in the harbor.
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

tabpub

Post by tabpub »

yes, I find 25,000 to be a nice round number.
Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

I thought I had read somewhere that the code doesn't give any more increased chance to hit a mine after 1000 mines.  But, it just might be early onset Dementia.
mc3744

Post by mc3744 »

To avoid my MLs hitting mines I always pair them with MSW. DM with DMS. It has always worked so far.
Nec recisa recedit
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

WHen to stop laying mines? Well, I always figured that if one of my minelayers hits a mine then it's time to stop...
fair winds,
Brad
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

When the enemy troops can disembark 3 miles offshore and tiptoe to shore from mine to mine then you have half the numbers of mines required ;).

I put a 9,000 mine minefield at a base where the Allies came to bombard. They came with a BB and several CAs and CLs as well as several DDs. 3 of the DDs hit mines and I think all three sank. I definitely didn't see a similar result when a similar Allied bombardment TF bombarded a base I had only defended with 3,000 mines.

Therefore I think that minefields definitely give increasing benefit up to at least 9,000 mines. I can see no reason for their benefit to be capped after a specific number.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

Return to “The War Room”