It's okay to play with order delays less than the max

Prepare yourself for a wargaming tour-de-force! Conquest of the Aegean is the next generation of the award-winning and revolutionary Airborne Assault series and it takes brigade to corps-level warfare to a whole new level. Realism and accuracy are the watchwords as this pausable continuous time design allows you to command at any echelon, with smart AI subordinates and an incredibly challenging AI.

Moderator: Arjuna

MarkShot

It's okay to play with order delays less than the max

Post by MarkShot »

COTA after all is a game and one should play in whatever style they get the most enjoyment. Of course, if you play MP, then you may need to conform to what the majority prefers.

In generally, I think new players should play a more or less basic scenario (one with a limited number of units) 3-5 times to get a good sense of the UI and the mechanics of the game. Playing without order delays is good way to begin, since that will allow you to most readily understand the command system mechanics.

Once you feel comfortable with the UI and game mechanics, you should check out order delays. It adds another dimension to the game. Playing with order delays doesn't really make the game any harder. What it does is mainly amplify the impact of your decisions. Good decisions that are well timed will reap bigger rewards; poor decisions that are missed timed will be even bigger disasters. As you experiment with order delays, you should try micro-managing some individual units and also giving order to multi-unit forces like battalions, brigades, and maybe a division.

Typically, you are going to micro/macro manage as you play. You are likely to micro-manage some arty, support, and recon units. You are likely to macro-manage major attacks and defenses where the terrain is fairly homogenous and you don't know how the enemy will attack.

Learn the game. Try out order delays. Play the way you enjoy it. Don't worry about what others say. PG put the options in their for you to have it any way you want it.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
jungelsj_slith

RE: It's okay to play with order delays less than the max

Post by jungelsj_slith »

Does the enemy AI use the same order delays that you select?
Real and Simulated Wars

Post by Real and Simulated Wars »

ORIGINAL: MarkShot
Play the way you enjoy it. Don't worry about what others say.

So it is OK to be in my underwear while playing it? Wife is not happy at the horrible spectacle.
Sorry for the spam Mark, I just couldn't help it.
[:)]

Bane_MatrixForum

Post by Bane_MatrixForum »

ORIGINAL: Chelco

So it is OK to be in my underwear while playing it? Wife is not happy at the horrible spectacle.

As long as your nickname isn't skidmark [:D]
Second to the Last Samurai...

"What do you think Abraham Lincoln would be doing if he were alive today? (1) Writing his memoirs of the Civil War. (2) Advising the President. (3) Desperately clawing at the inside of his coffin."
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

[:D] I am in a similar situation at the moment I must admit.. but it's hot - the gf is asleep and she need not know! [:D]
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

Not trying to be macho, but I almost always keep the delay at painfully realistic, and it does indeed force you to develop a plan. I do sometimes find that realistic "feels" more correct though. As an example, I was playing HTTR last night, and in the Crunch Time scenario, I gave a move order to the HQ, which took 12 hours to start moving.

COTA after all is a game and one should play in whatever style they get the most enjoyment. Of course, if you play MP, then you may need to conform to what the majority prefers.

In generally, I think new players should play a more or less basic scenario (one with a limited number of units) 3-5 times to get a good sense of the UI and the mechanics of the game. Playing without order delays is good way to begin, since that will allow you to most readily understand the command system mechanics.

Once you feel comfortable with the UI and game mechanics, you should check out order delays. It adds another dimension to the game. Playing with order delays doesn't really make the game any harder. What it does is mainly amplify the impact of your decisions. Good decisions that are well timed will reap bigger rewards; poor decisions that are missed timed will be even bigger disasters. As you experiment with order delays, you should try micro-managing some individual units and also giving order to multi-unit forces like battalions, brigades, and maybe a division.

Typically, you are going to micro/macro manage as you play. You are likely to micro-manage some arty, support, and recon units. You are likely to macro-manage major attacks and defenses where the terrain is fairly homogenous and you don't know how the enemy will attack.

Learn the game. Try out order delays. Play the way you enjoy it. Don't worry about what others say. PG put the options in their for you to have it any way you want it.

Post by MarkShot »

The order delay setting applies to the entire simulation; not just a single side.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

In that case i shall be playing my wargames in army fatigue![:D]
"In times of change learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists."
jungelsj_slith

Post by jungelsj_slith »

The order delay setting applies to the entire simulation; not just a single side.

That's cool. So in effect, by turning the order delays off, you're also giving the AI the ability to react to your moves much more quickly. Good to know!

Return to “Conquest of the Aegean”