New Cologne (Rhein) scenario

Panther Games' Highway to the Reich revolutionizes wargaming with its pausable, continuous time game play and advanced artificial intelligence. Command like a real General, under real time pressures to achieve real objectives on a real map all within the fog of war. Issue orders to your powerful AI controlled subordinates or take total control of every unit. Fight the world's most advanced AI opponent or match wits against your friends online or over a LAN. Highway to the Reich covers all four battles from Operation Market Garden, including Arnhem, Nijmegen, Eindhoven and the 30th Corps breakout from Neerpelt.

Moderator: Arjuna

GoodGuy

New Cologne (Rhein) scenario

Post by GoodGuy »

"Crossing the Rhein" (BETA 0.2)

Fictional map simulating a typical german river valley, there are some basic similarities to historical operations such as the push to Cologne/Aachen or operation Varsity (Airborne operation to cross the Rhein), though.

After liberating Aachen and pushing towards Euskirchen and Frechen, 30th Corps is ordered to enclose Cologne completely and form a brigdehead on the right river bank.
Most likely, the german Oberkommando (OKW) will try to keep the last bridge in Cologne open as long as possible, in order to be able to send resupplies and some rare reinforcements to the local Kampfkommandant. The OKW recently announced that the battle for Cologne has begun and promised to fight to the last bullet.

Not fully playtested (lack of time), so I'd need some playtesters. I'm still trying to optimize the victory conditions....I guess you can tell that I've just started tinkering with the SM tool, hehe. But I take this as practice session for the COTA tools. Any help/input would be highly appreciated.
The first version turned out to be the most challenging scenario I've come across so far (played as the Allies....sorry for the self-praise, hehe), due to a major mistake in the victory conditions table (took around 4 days !! to get to the suburbs of Cologne, lol...evil city fights). Knocking out the City defenses (bunkers) used to be extremely tough too....that reminds me of stories about US forces in the battle of Huertgenwald/Westwall, they used to call in Shermans equipped with buckets(?)/Snow plows(?)...dunno the word, which smothered some bunkers with debris and sand, since they couldn't crack 'em, leaving the bunker crews buried alive.

Anyway, I changed start/end times for Axis AI objectives, in order to make both sides more playable for human players, but I still need comments there. My plan for the Axis AI was to delay the Allied advance as long as possible, then, before more Allied ground forces join the fray, it is supposed to withdraw to the right river bank to use the river as "natural defense line".

Thanks in advance for testing or input![:)]
Oh, btw, I could do with some input regarding the hist. weather table. It looks like I'm not getting it right.....I really want evil fog from day 2-4, hehe...but it doesn't happen [:@] ..gotta hate to be a SM tool newbie :p

Leave your email addy and I'll be more than happy to send the scenario/map file.

Attachments
Cologne1.jpg
Cologne1.jpg (195.6 KiB) Viewed 222 times
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
GoodGuy

RE: New Cologne (Rhein) scenario

Post by GoodGuy »

Close-up of the City center

Attachments
Cologne2.jpg
Cologne2.jpg (190.39 KiB) Viewed 221 times
"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Nice map.[:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
iaidoka2

Post by iaidoka2 »

That is a really nice map - just sent you a PM request with my email address.
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Files sent. More testers pls [8D].
"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Looks nice :) I'm pm'd you too
tukker

Post by tukker »

Hi Goodguy,

If you send the files to pcschout@xs4all.nl I'll be happy to take a look.

Pieter
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Ok, files sent...nooooow....don't forget to leave feedback. I'll appreciate any help/comment, since I am planning to do more stuff with the COTA tools [:D]
"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Infante

Post by Infante »

Please, send it to santitorres@ya.com
Thanks. [&o]
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Done.
"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
bugbear

Post by bugbear »

You ARE talented!

great map and veeeerrrrrry professional too-
will your scenario be available for download? And, PLEASE make great maps like this one for the new COTA which will be released next week?
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: GoodGuy
Done.

Is there room for one more ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
eddysterckx@hotmail.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

JeF/El Saviour,

Can either of you guys host this map and scenario?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
iaidoka2

Post by iaidoka2 »

GoodGuy

Haven't had a lot of time playing since you sent me the scenario but am up to day 7 and half.  Haven't seen anything that looks to me like an error etc.  I am not the best player though - I just enjoy the game even though Im crap at it.  This scenario is a bloody hard slog, especially through the city trying to take the major crossing point.  Its a great piece of work and the map is rally quite impressive.
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Thank you for the commendation, iaidoka2. Bear with me, I'm still a newB who gets owned by the ScenMaker at times, hehe.
Bugbear, sorrrrry [&o] , I didn't see the email addy in your PM (sore eyes)....sending files now! [:)].
Pieter gave me some useful remarks/hints, plus he promised to keep me updated about his progress in that scenario. :p Sooooo, keep 'em coming (comments/feedback), I wanna get as much input as possible b4 COTA hits the digital ([:D]) shelf ! :p
"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

GoodGuy,

You better hurry then! [:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
tukker

Post by tukker »

GoodGuy.

Don't worry, I'm still playing (at Day 5 now). The Jerries blew both bridges, but I've rebuilt one allready and used the ferry to get some more troops across the river Rhine. I'm ready to start exploiting toward the Ruhr- the war will be over soon[;)]
I'll e-mail you later with a more detailed update.

Pieter
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Bridge rebuilt on day 5? Oh these dutchies are quicker than expected :D. I had to deal with bunker crews (light flak/hvy flak) up to day 6 at some locations...they just wouldn't surrender and tanks got stuck next to the bunkers (Forts), so I had a hard time to withdraw vital units....hehe...had to ship around with armoured vehicles and send mass. inf to take 'em out.
"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Infante

Post by Infante »

Wow¡¡¡. It´s amazing. I think this is the best scenario I´ve played.
Thanks GoodGuy. [&o][&o][&o]
Now I can´t sleep. [:D]
Bests regards from Spain.
Marmaduke

Post by Marmaduke »

Great looking map - I sent you a PM and I will playtest.

Return to “Highway to the Reich”