Unrealistic replays!

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderator: puresimmer

jacmar

Unrealistic replays!

Post by jacmar »

I played out a few seasons in computer mode, to see if the standings would be similar to the real life standings. The real life standings for 1955 had the Dodgers and Yankees finishing first. In the season replay, the Dodgers were edged out by Milwaukee, and the Yankees finished 23 games off the pace. In the 1919 real life standings, the Whitesox and Redlegs finished first. In the season replay for 1919, both teams finished way out and never were in contention at any time. Is there something that I should be doing to get these season replays to be more accurate?
domonas

RE: Unrealistic replays!

Post by domonas »

I don't think this game IS a replay game.  That's more Diamond Mind's territory.
jacmar

Post by jacmar »

Thanks Domonas...I believe youre right...I guess I will order version 9 from DMB, and wonder what I am going to do with my Puresim7 CD that just arrived.
domonas

Post by domonas »

Sell it.  Save it for a rainy day.
jacmar

Post by jacmar »

I guess I'll save it, and hope that someday they will make Puresim into a realistic simulation.
Nothingman

Post by Nothingman »

I think Puresim is actually a fairly realistic simulation.  Teams play 162 games in baseball and there are so many variables that can completely change the outcome of a season.  Every season would probably end up quite different if replayed in real life as well.  You have injuries, fatigue, luck, state of mind, good players having bad years, bad players having good years, etc.  You can't expect to get the exact same results or really even similar results just because you have the same players.
domonas

Post by domonas »

But the point is that PS is not a replay game. Great simulation and a game worth having, but not replay.
jacmar

Post by jacmar »

I agree it is a nice game, and a good simulation, but not realistic. I played out some complete seasons, one being 1955 and 2 for 1919. In the 1919 seasons, which were actually won by the Redlegs and Whitesox, neither team was anywhere near the top. One of the replays actually had both teams finishing last. Im sorry, but that just isnt realistic. Its a fun game, and I would reccommend it for anyone who likes baseball. In a fictional way, its great. I just feel that if one played out a given season 100 times, maybe a couple of times the teams that actually won would finish first.
dewelar2

Post by dewelar2 »

I agree with domonas. PureSim is geared more toward a general manager's perspective of controlling a team, or to a commissioner's perspective of running a league or leagues. If you want realistic simulation, you're much better off with Diamond Mind. There's a place for both, to be sure, but as it appears to be with you I would someday like to see a game that can combine both into one product. No offense to the hard-working folks at Matrix, but this ain't it [:(].
motnahp

Post by motnahp »

Are you leaving the injuries and AI trading on during your seasons? Taking these variables away from the AI will give a more realistic outcome, IMO.

I started an AL-only assn with the 1969 season. I was able to get all of the transactions from baseball-reference.com, and I acutally take the time to update the teams with their proper rosters as the season progresses. It takes some work and time, but I'm enjoying it.

One thing that would help the replay realism would be for the program to include some sort of "maximums" or "percentages" of at-bats/innings pitched for a player during a season. I mentioned this in a recent "suggestions" thread. If others could drop that same bug in Shaun's ear, it would have a better chance of being added (hint, hint, wink, wink).

Don't give up on PS just yet. Shaun continues to make a ton of changes and improvements geared toward us folks who prefer using real players. He has made MAJOR strides in the last year and I detect that more improvements are on the way.
"Better to sleep with old hen than pullet" - Redd Foxx
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Why in Gods name would you want to buy something and have the game automate play just to recreate history? I do not understand why you would want to do that.

It's like buying a WWII strategy game knowing that the game sticks with history...meaning playing as the Germans you will never win and playing as the allies you will always win! What is the point exactly? If you already know the history, why use a game to recreate it? Why not use the game for what it should be used for...allowing you, as a decision maker, to make the decisions necessary to take your side to victory...be it a WWII game or a baseball game or any other strategy genre.

Sorry for the post not being helpful, but I do not understand, at all, this train of thought. If you think you can enlighten me, then feel free.
Alba gu' brath
motnahp

Post by motnahp »

I'm not sure exactly what jacmar is looking for. For myself, I want to get all of the players on their correct teams, make the trades when they occurred in real life, then let the program's AI set the major league rosters and play out the games.

Keeping up with these trades/signings/releases is a little of an administrative burden, but does provide some enjoyment and a lot of insight on how the team owners & GMs built and changed their teams as time went by.

With just a couple more additions (see my earlier post in this thread), PS will allow "reality" users to fully enjoy the statistical replay of the program.
"Better to sleep with old hen than pullet" - Redd Foxx
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I'm sorry...but I do not get what the replay is about...that's my point. I don't understand why you would spend money on a "game", to make it aut run through the seasons so you can recreate what happened. What value do you get from the game?

I thought the whole point of a game was to try an make the difference. By that I mean your input helps determine the outcome...otherwise, where is the point?

Also, it goes with any game. I mean, would anyone in their right minds buy the magnificent game that is GTR, if they knew that, no matter what they did to the car they had, it would be placed historically, session to session, race to race, season to season? If any game was to act historically, no matter what the input from the player, then I've lost the fun side...I don't, at that point, see the point in playing it.

I would never buy a game that completely ignored my input.
Alba gu' brath
domonas

Post by domonas »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I'm sorry...but I do not get what the replay is about...that's my point. I don't understand why you would spend money on a "game", to make it aut run through the seasons so you can recreate what happened. What value do you get from the game?

I thought the whole point of a game was to try an make the difference. By that I mean your input helps determine the outcome...otherwise, where is the point?

Not to sound argumentative, but not everyone gets this game for the same reasons. Just b/c you don't like the replay aspect of baseball sims, doesn't invalidate another person's desire for such a game.
jacmar

Post by jacmar »

The point I am making is this....Its true, that if a replay is accurate, you know who is going to win if the season plays out accurately. The two ideas that I like to do are as follows...Take a real team from any season and manage the team against the rest of the league. Then see how I do compared with the real team. If the game isnt accurate, how do you know how you really did?
The other option I like is to take a number of great teams from different eras and play it out to see which team would win. Judge, there is no way one can know that from history, because those teams never really faced reach other. If you dont have an accurate foundation, there is no way to know if you are getting an accurate outcome.
I am not criticizing Puresim in any way. Ive said numerous times that it is a nice game, and fun to play. But if you are given all of the teams from every season, and given all of the stats that go with it, I would expect to see some realisitic results if seasons were to be played out. I played out a few seasons, and didnt see anything close to being accurate. Its as if all the teams and players are equal. Thats fine if you want to see how you would do against another player or against the computer on equal terms. But if you are following the 1927 Yankees in a league with the 1986 Mets, and notice at the end of the season that Rafael Santana has a higher average than Babe Ruth, something isnt right.
Beach23BoyP

Post by Beach23BoyP »

ORIGINAL: jacmar

The point I am making is this....Its true, that if a replay is accurate, you know who is going to win if the season plays out accurately. The two ideas that I like to do are as follows...Take a real team from any season and manage the team against the rest of the league. Then see how I do compared with the real team. If the game isnt accurate, how do you know how you really did?
The other option I like is to take a number of great teams from different eras and play it out to see which team would win. Judge, there is no way one can know that from history, because those teams never really faced reach other. If you dont have an accurate foundation, there is no way to know if you are getting an accurate outcome.
I am not criticizing Puresim in any way. Ive said numerous times that it is a nice game, and fun to play. But if you are given all of the teams from every season, and given all of the stats that go with it, I would expect to see some realisitic results if seasons were to be played out. I played out a few seasons, and didnt see anything close to being accurate. Its as if all the teams and players are equal. Thats fine if you want to see how you would do against another player or against the computer on equal terms. But if you are following the 1927 Yankees in a league with the 1986 Mets, and notice at the end of the season that Rafael Santana has a higher average than Babe Ruth, something isnt right.

Again, as I've said time and time again over the last five years or so. OOTP and PureSim are "NOT" about re-living history -- they are Career/GM baseball text sims. If you want to re-living history or have historical matchups, you need to play:

1) Diamond Mind
2) Strat-O-Matic
3) Action PC Replay Baseball
4) Baseball for Windows (with the Bill James ency) (You might find it on ebay.)
5) APBA Baseball (You could go back to rolling dice)

There are too many "variables" in OOTP and PS. They are not really designed for exact replays. They become a world unto their own.  Yes, you can use Lahman with both -- but they are NOT replay sims by any stretch.

And BTW, OOTP and PS just import players from Lahman as IDs.  Niether progam has any idea who Ruth is, Mantle is or Barry Bonds.  And it knows is a mass of number with a potential.

I had Mantle hit over 600 HR in a 16 year OOTP career (that is till going on) while Mays was almost a complete bust.  And BTW, in one of my PS real player/fantasy teams league -- Gus Triandos lasted on 10 games in the bigs before he went out with a career ending injury.  Also, Drysdale and Koufax were never really big winnners, but Jackie Collum was a world beater!  Who was Jackie Collum?
jacmar

Post by jacmar »

Beach23BoyP...Yes, I agree with you...I was just explaining to the others as to what I wanted to do.
Beach23BoyP

Post by Beach23BoyP »

OK. Maybe people will read that over the next few months and they'll understand. I have a very close friend of mine who thinks playing PS or OOTP is crazy. Just because he wants to totally re-live history. He plays SOM and he sets each days line-ups as it was in real life and then plays out the game. He loves it. He feels like he's back in time.

He'll never understand "the thrill and mystery" of a GM/Career BB text sim so I gave up trying to interest him in either PS or OOTP.
jacmar

Post by jacmar »

To each his own I guess. I prefer the realistic replays as well. But theres nothing wrong with Puresim and OOTP if you want to be a GM.
dewelar2

Post by dewelar2 »

ORIGINAL: jacmar

Exactly. There's a lot you can do with accurate replays. Most common is the "what if" scenario:

What would the Pirates have done the past 10 years if they'd been able to keep Barry Bonds? Would they have finally won a World Series?

What if the Red Sox had sold Babe Ruth to the Senators instead of the Yankees? Would the Yankees still have been a dynasty in the '20s?

What if the Dodgers had stayed in Ebbets Field -- would Koufax and Drysdale still have dominated in a more hitter-friendly park?

I have seen sites with estimated stats of Negro Leaguers -- you can plug them into the game and see (as best you can) how Satchel Paige or Josh Gibson, or the new batch of NeL Hall of Famers, would have done in the majors.

You can also test your managerial skill -- something like "If I'd been managing the Cubs instead of that bum Dusty Baker last year, they'd have made the playoffs!" Jacmar alluded to this above.

If you want to play GM, then by all means do so. However, if you're going to do it using real players AT ALL, there's a lot to be said for knowing that the game represents their talent accurately, and the only way to know that it does is by replaying the season and seeing if things look like they should -- not exactly like real-life, of course, but within a certain reasonable tolerance level. I haven't dug that deeply into the game yet, but if what Jacmar says is true, for future associations I will be running entirely computer-generated players, which for me takes some of the fun out of it.

Please note that I'm not trying to tell anyone else how they should play the game. However, as I said above, I would pay a good chunk of change (a lot more than $30) for a game that combined the GM aspects of this one with the realism of Diamond Mind. I also realize that there aren't a lot of people who share that feeling, or else someone would have done it by now [:)].

Return to “Tech Support”