More anxiety: Zero Bonus or Invasion Bonus?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Feinder

More anxiety: Zero Bonus or Invasion Bonus?

Post by Feinder »

Just curious, when playing Allied (esp in PBEM), which bonus gives you more anxiety?  The Zero Bonus or the Invasion Bonus?

Personally, the Invasion Bonus gives me the squirmies more than the Zero Bonus.

With the Zero Bonus, you can -somewhat- control the situation.  As in, you don't -have- to engage.  If it's a bunch of old Buffalos, you at least have the choice to whether to fly into the dragon's maw, or to simply take the pounding by the Nells flying overhead.  Or in the case of KB, you at least -know- you're going to get slaugtered, so it's your choice.

With Invasion Bonus, it's "slam bam thank you mam!" anywhere, any time, until 03-31.  When I get my 03-31 Allied turn, I finally sigh, "If it hasn't been invaded yet, at least it will be opposed!"  If Noumea or Derby or Johnston don't already have Japanese Marines camped in the O-club, at least I have the chance to put up a defense (in fact, by 03-31, I had better already been putting troops on the ground!).

Whaddya think?

More heartburn: Zero Bonus or Invasion Bonus?

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Speedysteve

RE: More anxiety: Zero Bonus or Invasion Bonus?

Post by Speedysteve »

I forsee some 'interesting' responses ahead
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Zero bonus is not too bad, considering it is not the major thing affecting the air combat. Invasion bonus, OTOH, does have major impact with land combat. But personally I have nothing against either.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Mark VII

Post by Mark VII »

I have nothing against either bonus and I understand and accept the reasoning behind both.  I do agree that it is the invasion bonus that is of most concern.  As the Japanese I dread when it disappears and as the Allies I count down the days till it goes away knowing that current freindly property will at least defend itself after 3/31. 
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I see some reason behind the Zero Bonus.

But the Japanese player already knows the Allied set up so can pick the eyes out of the defense as it is.

Added to this is the Air Supremacy that the Zero Bonus provides which allows almost uninterrupted attacks.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

FWIW, I'm wasn't asking if somebody "had a problem" with the Zero or Invasion bonus.  I was just asking which you felt was the greater threat.

[:-]

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

I know that but you know some people[;)]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: Feinder

FWIW, I'm wasn't asking if somebody "had a problem" with the Zero or Invasion bonus.  I was just asking which you felt was the greater threat.

[:-]

-F-

And I kinda answered "Neither!" [:'(][:D][:D]

You should have made it a poll...not an essay !! [8D][:D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Feinder

Post by Feinder »

You should have made it a poll...not an essay !!

You've been around long enough to know that none of questions/answers/responses/comments/suggestions/rantings/musings/mutterings are short.

[8D]

-F-

Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

neither.

I'm more worried about Range 5.

[:'(]
Big B

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Just curious, when playing Allied (esp in PBEM), which bonus gives you more anxiety?  The Zero Bonus or the Invasion Bonus?

With Invasion Bonus, it's "slam bam thank you mam!" anywhere, any time, until 03-31.  When I get my 03-31 Allied turn, I finally sigh, "If it hasn't been invaded yet, at least it will be opposed!"  If Noumea or Derby or Johnston don't already have Japanese Marines camped in the O-club, at least I have the chance to put up a defense (in fact, by 03-31, I had better already been putting troops on the ground!).

-F-

I am a bit confused (nothing new).
Precisely what is the "invasion bonus" effect that lasts until 31 MAR 42 ?[8|]

B
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

IIRC +200 invasion bonus
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

IIRC +200 invasion bonus
; which means that, other things being equal, any IJ invasion prior to 3/31 will have about 25% the disruption and disablements that the exact same invasion would suffer after that date: a huge advantage. 
Fear the kitten!
Big B

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: irrelevant
IIRC +200 invasion bonus
; which means that, other things being equal, any IJ invasion prior to 3/31 will have about 25% the disruption and disablements that the exact same invasion would suffer after that date: a huge advantage. 

Oh well, at least they don't "warp" around until APR 42[8|]
ctangus

Post by ctangus »

Interesting question - personally the invasion bonus gives me the willies more, too.  I ain't afraid of no stinkin' zero bonus!  [:)]

From the feel of my games, it seems early Japanese success in air-to-air combat is influenced as much (or more) by experience & better airframes than the zero bonus.  Plus, as you mentioned, you can to some degree choose whether to engage or not.  The benefits of the invasion bonus seem more tangible to me. 

It's a major reason I try to fight hard for Malaya & the Phillipines.  I'd like to force the Java invasion to come in April.  Or, at the very least, the India/ANZO/etc. invasion to come then.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”