Event Variables or??

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

lok

Event Variables or??

Post by lok »

First of all many. many thanks to everyone involved with TOAWIII. We are grateful for all your efforts and are eagerly awaiting the TOAWIII release.

I had a question/suggestion for a future mod.
One of the problems with the event editor is its limited ability to support complex decisions. For example in several scenarios, neutral countries enter the war as a result of a single theater option or action by the opposing players (declare war, attack a hex, etc).

It would be nice if we could have a more complex structure, say neutral countries A, B, C,...Z enter the war depending on a series of actions by the combantants (by theater options, attack certain hexes etc).
There are several ways to implement this idea. It seems to me (not knowing anything about the code) that if we had 10 or 20 Event variables we could support far more complex decisions. Would that be easier than, say implementing a scripting language?
Any other thoughts how something like this may be achieved?
bluermonkey

RE: Event Variables or??

Post by bluermonkey »

Yeah. At the moment we have one Event Engine Variable which can be used for the kind of thing you describe. What I think would be neat is to have mulitple EEV's, which would provide a great deal of extra possibilities with what can be done with the event editor in adding variability to scenario's.
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

I think Ralph already said he was adding extra EEVs. And in the long run we should get a more intuitive system whereby you can script individual events with multiple causes and effects.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
bluermonkey

Post by bluermonkey »

This is good news. I was hoping that at some point in the future the event editor would get overhauled and made much more user friendly. As it is it's a bit of a nightmare, IMHO.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”