CTD with 1.80

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

DeepSix

CTD with 1.80

Post by DeepSix »

Clean install, patched to 1.80 (*not* 1.801), no mods, started a new game. At first, no problems. Game is now on 8/01/42 and crashes to desktop literally every other time I save it. At least 50% of the time. The CTD is *always* when I make a save prior to going to combat phase. This is ridiculous. But I'm not just bitching for the sake of bitching - I read through a couple of other posts on this and learned nothing because whoever complained about it originally never followed up. I'd really like to solve this. It will be easy to provide a save if so desired. Haven't patched to 1.801 yet because I'd like to play a whole game before I die.

The flow:
1)Save after combat is resolved ("dawn").
2)Orders phase.
3)Save prior to combat round ("dusk").
4)Click "exit" in the save screen.
5)CTD.
6)Launch the game, load the save, and repeat.

A couple more details - I always save to Slot 002 after combat and to Slot 003 after orders:

000 - Autosave
001 - None
002 - [Date] "a.m."
003 - [Same Date] "p.m."
004 - occasionally use

Occasionally save to 004 if I have to save in the middle of the orders phase, but that is rare and I get the CTD regardless. All the other slots are empty.

Thanks.
TulliusDetritus

RE: CTD with 1.80

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Welcome to the CTD club [:)]

They said they didn't fix it because it was not a priority. Maybe in 1.9 or 2.x.

EDIT:
humm, on a second thought, if you truly experience it the 50% of the time... this should not be normal. I only experienced it a few times.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
DeepSix

Post by DeepSix »

I'm afraid it is indeed about half the time, almost like clockwork. If it doesn't crash *this* time, it will definitely crash next time. Good to know I'm not alone, though.

Cheers
DeepSix

Post by DeepSix »

08/01/42 - CTD
08/02/42 - ok
08/03/42 - CTD
08/04/42 - ok
08/05/42 - CTD
08/06/42 - ok
CLOSE
LAUNCH
08/07/42 - ok

Hello?
Cmdrcain

Post by Cmdrcain »

After I save I wait a little bit, are you clicking exit right after or soon after clicking save?

I don't get CTD's on saving, Never have since about

I don't either leave cursor over exit button after I click save, I wait, when finishs saving I wait about 5-10 sec Then I click exit.

I always save after combat but I also may at times save after done doing turn and before starting the combat.

If your clicking exit soon after save done try waiting a few seconds longer.

P-4 1.8ghz with 512MB ram and 32MB All in wonder radeon here..

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Battlestar Pegasus
DeepSix

Post by DeepSix »

Well I hadn't thought of trying that... I know I don't leave the cursor sitting over the exit button, but I probably am clicking it fairly soon after it says that the game has saved. But if that were the cause, wouldn't the CTD happen all the time? Or at least on a less regular basis?

I'll try waiting a few seconds and see, though. Thanks for the help! Forgot to mention my system specs (sorry 'bout that): P2.4, 2 gigs RAM, FX5500 (256 meg).

The saga continues:

08/07/42 - ok
CLOSE
LAUNCH
08/08/42 - CTD
DeepSix

Post by DeepSix »

08/08/42 - CTD
CLOSE
LAUNCH
08/09/42 - ok
CLOSE
LAUNCH
08/10/42 - ok
08/11/42 - CTD.

It doesn't matter if I wait 5-10 seconds before clicking "save" or not. Any other ideas?
BigJ62

Post by BigJ62 »

ORIGINAL: DeepSix

08/08/42 - CTD
CLOSE
LAUNCH
08/09/42 - ok
CLOSE
LAUNCH
08/10/42 - ok
08/11/42 - CTD.

It doesn't matter if I wait 5-10 seconds before clicking "save" or not. Any other ideas?

I've been having the same problem for a long time. I'm curious,
1. are you playing with sound on or off(ingame all sounds = 0 and sound folder renamed to nosound)? Try nosound.
2. Are you playing with animations on or off?
3. Do you have any 3rd party directshow filters installed for watching videos or dvd movies(sound and audio).
4. Do you have more one sound device on your computer(built in to motherboard and a card). Is m/b device disabled.
5. What video driver version are you using.

Some people say they have this problem and some say they don't there is got to be a reason.

Thanks...
Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

I sometimes CTD. It happened the other day. I play with sound, animations etc. I save all the time after I take my turn. Luckily, the few times it CTD it saved it before it crashed. I think the waiting for a few seconds before you hit exit is the key. but just a guess really. [:'(]
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
DeepSix

Post by DeepSix »

I've been having the same problem for a long time. I'm curious,
1. are you playing with sound on or off(ingame all sounds = 0 and sound folder renamed to nosound)? Try nosound.
2. Are you playing with animations on or off?
3. Do you have any 3rd party directshow filters installed for watching videos or dvd movies(sound and audio).
4. Do you have more one sound device on your computer(built in to motherboard and a card). Is m/b device disabled.
5. What video driver version are you using.

Some people say they have this problem and some say they don't there is got to be a reason.

Thanks...

First off:

1.  Sound is off, although I never thought of renaming the folder - I'll do that immediately.  Sound is in itself a problem I've never gotten a satisfactory answer to, despite posting this problem before 1.80 was released.  It will play the music for a while and then just quit - there's no pattern to it.  I got a few suggestions, none of which worked (although they were appreciated)), and finally gave up.  But I will rename the folder.

2.  Animations are on.  Depending on how lengthy they are, sometimes I let them play out and sometimes I click "Done" (esp. with the massive early war land combat seiges like in the Philippines).

3.  Yes.  The DVD drive came with PowerDVD and I also have another (DiVX?).

4.  One sound device (Creative Labs SBLive! - can't remember the driver no. but the card is indeed old and one of the sucky things with CL is that apparently they don't support OEM drivers - which mine is, since I've had the card since I got the machine).  Several 3rd party players installed.

5.  nVidia 8198 (12/10/05).  Probably time to check for an update to that; but I'd be surprised if it is part of the problem.  Never know, though....

Other thoughts:  I agree - there *must* be a reason for this.  I'm sorry to say, I'm getting to the point of exasperation with WiTP.  We're on patch 1.8x and still there are still Day One issues in the game (e.g., the infamous leadership bug; land combat still blows).  When you add instability to the list of things that players are told they just have to grin and bear, playing the game becomes too much work.  In my opinion (for what that's worth).

Lastly, I've found a temporary work-around, sort of.  I've started using more save-to slots.  I overwrite my saves until I get a CTD when I click "Exit."  Next time I launch, I make sure to save to a new slot.  This is NOT a fix, IMO, since I still get crashes, but they are a little less frequent.  Sometimes I can even play a whole week or two of game time between them.[8|]  It's better than crashing ever other save, though.

[Edited]

Anyway - thanks very much to you (and the others) for your response and your help.  I appreciate it.
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

I'm still crashing after I save also.   Not all the time but about 30-40%.  And I tried the waiting a small bit, doesn't matter, still CTD.  [:@]
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?

Return to “Tech Support”