Now that's something

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Ursa MAior

Now that's something

Post by Ursa MAior »

Now that is something! We break for nobody!! Not even at our destination! I've seen this in UV but not in WitP.

Ver 1.801

Attachments
thatissomething.jpg
thatissomething.jpg (91.49 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Art by the amazing Dixie
Nomad

RE: Now that's something

Post by Nomad »

You have to understand that none of the roads/trails in that part of the world are straight. Most of them meander about quite a bit. [:D]
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Seen it in WiTP a fair bit. Have you tried setting the destination hex again?
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Ursa MAior

Post by Ursa MAior »

Not yet. Should I? Will it get there immediately?
Art by the amazing Dixie
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

a) I order a unit to move to a hex and enemy blocks ... result: move cancelled

b) I order a unit to move to a BASE in a hex and enemy blocks ... result: move replotted around block (can exceed 60 miles because it is looping back on itself to find another path)
Ursa MAior

Post by Ursa MAior »

How can he block me? It has past its destination, ie no enemy units between LCU and dest. There was no battle.
Art by the amazing Dixie
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Have you checked ZOCs with "w"-key in case there is something weird in that ?
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Ursa MAior

Post by Ursa MAior »

Nope but will do.
Art by the amazing Dixie
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

Confucious say: Unit that overshoots destination by 15 miles has "the trots". [;)]
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I have only had this in Burma, Thailand & Malaya where the roads are convoluted (Windy looked wrong[:)])

Without looking too hard, I felt the unit was moving between 2 adjaecent hexes but the road went via another hex, therefore needing 120 miles to move between the adjaecent hexes.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

Faulty compasses?
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Victory disease.
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Victory disease.

vd? [&:][:D]
treespider

Post by treespider »

I bet the next day it arrives at its destination...(EDIT: From re-reading the thread it seems like it already arrived. So what exactly is the issue, other than the display saying it has marched 75 miles?)
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Ursa MAior

Post by Ursa MAior »

No it has not yet. Will do was for me resetting its dest again. Its a PBEM.
Art by the amazing Dixie
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

Have seen that so many times already I don´t even think about it anymore. Happend before 1.8 also, I think it´s a known bug. What´s far more annoying for me is when I send 20 units somewhere and one or two of those units jump off the road or rail into a jungle hex and I don´t know why. Takes a month to get them out of there again. [:@]
Sneer

Post by Sneer »

never , never use "follow" command
I stopped and problems disappeared
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I agree, I wish there was a way to eliminate the follow button even showing up. I have not used it for more than a year. But I have seen where I send one unit to a base and then use the march all button and one or two will take some wierd path through a mountain hex or trackless/roadless jungle. [&:] Now I know I have to micromanage every unit, go through and check that each unit got the same order as all the rest. I have found that most if not all of the 'labor saving' buttons cause more work. [:'(]
moses

Post by moses »

What´s far more annoying for me is when I send 20 units somewhere and one or two of those units jump off the road or rail into a jungle hex and I don´t know why. Takes a month to get them out of there again.

This is probably not a problem with the follow command. Here's what normally happens.

You plot a unit to move to a destination some distance away. When you do this you have a clear path to the destination hex. A turn or two later an enemy unit moves into one of the hexes in your units path. So your unit no langer has a clear path by road to the objective. It looks for another route not obstructed by enemy units and follows this route. Often this leaves you in a mountain or woods hex.

A sneaky strategy for the allies is to move the base forces at Victoria pt and Tavoy one hex forward at the beginning of the game. Typically the Japanese player will plot several units to those locations and by moving forward one hex you will get to watch them all run into the woods. Yes of course this is gamey but it often happens by accident. Some players want to try to run the base force at Victoria pt to safty for example. Or maybe a player tries to push a brigade forward of Tavoy.

You should never plot units for long distance unless you are operating in a totally secure area. When you get close to enemy forces plot one hex at a time.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

That is not the problem we are talking about Moses. Sometimes I will send 10 units to the same location using the march all button. 8 of them will take the proper route down a trail/road/rr, but one or two of them will, for no reason, go a different route by going to a hex with no movement help at all.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”