CHS and AB's Extended map and the Aquitania

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Tom G.

CHS and AB's Extended map and the Aquitania

Post by Tom G. »

I have two games going with CHS mod Scn 155, one against the AI and one PBEM. In my AI game this ship (Aquitania) shows up, but in the PBEM game there is no trace. Not in the list all ships, sunk ships or ship reinforcemnt screen.

Is this right? What is wrong?

Would be nice to have this fine ship to shuttle troops from the rear areas to the not so rear areas.
Halsey

RE: CHS and AB's Extended map and the Aquitania

Post by Halsey »

I'm playing 154, and the Aquitania is in San Francisco.
Not sure about 155..
Tom G.

Post by Tom G. »

Definately not in my PBEM Game but definately in my AI game both same scenario. Didn't know that this liner would be one of my favorites and most sorely missed boats in the game.

Another issue is the CA Utah. After the Pearl attack this ship is shown in Pearl with nothing under the armament screen. I can maker her in TF but she has no speed either. Just a name taking up space in port screen. Has anyone seen this before. It is in my pbem game.
jwxspoon

Post by jwxspoon »

The Utah was a target ship and not an active combatant.
Tom G.

Post by Tom G. »

Uh, that sounds familiar now.

In terms of game play do we do anything with the Utah?
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

She was added in CHS to try & soak up bombs & get some more historical PH attack results. It's meant to have no arms & no speed. If it survives PH it does nothing but take up space (I normally move it to one of the other Hawaii bases & forget it).
mlees

Post by mlees »

If it survives PH it does nothing but take up space (I normally move it to one of the other Hawaii bases & forget it).

How do you move a ship that has a speed of 0?
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

It'll move 1 hex per turn even with a speed of 0. I've moved the Dewey Dry Docks from Manilla to Sydney in one CHS game to try & have an early AR ship in OZ.
mlees

Post by mlees »

Wow. I never tried to move ships with a speed of 0... silly me. [:)]
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

It'll move 1 hex per turn even with a speed of 0. I've moved the Dewey Dry Docks from Manilla to Sydney in one CHS game to try & have an early AR ship in OZ.

This is to simulate towing without adding ocean going tugs to the game.

timtom

Post by timtom »

ORIGINAL: Tom G.

Another issue is the CA Utah. After the Pearl attack this ship is shown in Pearl with nothing under the armament screen. I can maker her in TF but she has no speed either. Just a name taking up space in port screen. Has anyone seen this before.

Gosh, this one's such a regular it ought to be stickied with big, bold, pink letters!
Where's the Any key?

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: timtom
Gosh, this one's such a regular it ought to be stickied with big, bold, pink letters!

Actually, I am thinking of removing the Utah from CHS.

Andrew
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Does anyone see a bit of irony in moving a dry dock in the "Historical Scenario" from Manila to Australia at 2 miles/hr in the middle of a war zone? [;)]

Bloody clever, but hardly realistic.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

I am shocked that it ever completes the trip. Am I wrong in believing that if it is in Manila when that city falls, it will be scuttled and thus worth fewer VP than if lost in transit?
fair winds,
Brad
Knavey

Post by Knavey »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Does anyone see a bit of irony in moving a dry dock in the "Historical Scenario" from Manila to Australia at 2 miles/hr in the middle of a war zone? [;)]

Bloody clever, but hardly realistic.
Dewey Dry Docks

Ummm...if it floats, and you can tow it, where is the problem? If it manages to escape the onslaught of the IJ bombers, why should you not be able to move it?

Dewey Dry Dock link

"From 28 December 1905 - 9 July 1906 she underwent the greatest sea-towing feat of it's day. It took four ships to tow the Dewey Dry-dock 12,000 miles from the U.S. East coast across the Atlantic, into the Mediterranean Sea, through the Suez Canal, Red Sea and into the Indian Ocean and ending the journey at Olongapo, Luzon, Philippines. The four ships were the USS Caesar (AC-16), USS Brutus (AC-15) under the command of Lt. V. L. Cottman, USS Glacier (AF-4) and the USS Potomac (AT-50). During 1901 the Navy had selected Subic Bay on the island of Luzon, Philippines, for a major repair and supply facility. During the late 1880's Spain had invested considerable money in making Subic Bay usable for it's fleet. After the Spanish-American War the United States took it over and completed the work begun by the Spanish Navy. The summer of 1906 saw the arrival of the dry-dock and she would remain at Subic Bay servicing ships in the Asiatic and Pacific Fleets until 1941."
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
timtom

Post by timtom »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I am shocked that it ever completes the trip. Am I wrong in believing that if it is in Manila when that city falls, it will be scuttled and thus worth fewer VP than if lost in transit?

What's 90% of 1 VP? [:)]
Where's the Any key?

bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

I never really paid any attention to the value for the Dewey Dry Dock. I've always considered it a loss...
fair winds,
Brad
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown
ORIGINAL: timtom

Actually, I am thinking of removing the Utah from CHS.

Andrew

I've been quite satisfied how PH attacks turn out with Utah in, especially as a CA. Maybe a bomb or two, perhaps a torpedo. Basically right on with the historical attack. Durability might still be too high.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Didn't the Utah absorb 6 torpedoes?

However, with everyone claiming that the PH strikes are not achieving "historical" results, maybe it is best to not have her in the picture...
fair winds,
Brad
Monter_Trismegistos

Post by Monter_Trismegistos »

I only once had better results than historical (without using second attack on 7th Dec) - I had screwed something and all my Kates attacked with bombs only... But then, suprisingly, 3 BB and 1 CA sunk.
Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”