Classic Parks and teams??

This forum is for 3rd party developers to post enhancements for PureSim Baseball, such as stadium art, face packs, etc.

Moderator: puresimmer

m10bob

Classic Parks and teams??

Post by m10bob »

I used to have a good visual representation of a baseball sim, (which will go "anonymous" for this forum), but the engine of that game was TERRIBLE at having credible scoring.(Games of 65 to 49 were common!!!!)
What the game did have was all of the classic ballparks(with the great nostalgic advertising billboards which IIRC could be changed by the players.)
While I cannot relate in any way to the modern day teams with their vastly over-paid and scandal ridden players, I am very fond of the days of Mordecai "Three-finger" Brown, The "Chicago Black Sox", Brooklyn Dodgers, the "Sultan of Swat", Ty Cobb, etc........
I have searched your threads, and have not been able to ascertain if these teams/ballparks have been made for this great-sounding game....??[:)]

BTW, something else I liked about that other game was that it had sound clips for every play possible, by 3 major sports announcers, which could be chosen by the gamer, so it was possible to watch OR listen to a game, in progress, as if it were really playing.
The announcers did not mention players names, only the titles of "Batter, Pitcher, etc."
Mel Allen was one of the announcers and while the scores were an absolute farce, the game had nice chrome..
Does this conjur an image of a revenue producing add-on ??????[:D]

rich12545

RE: Classic Parks and teams??

Post by rich12545 »

LOL. I might be wrong but that sounds like "Old Time Baseball." He's got a good eye up there at the plate. One of my favorites. Although I don't recall those high scores.

You can get some of those old parks in the members area.
Amaroq

Post by Amaroq »

More to the point, m10bob, the game includes some dimensions for classic ballparks, and lets you use any image as the background for each park.

You can then wind up configuring
- the image
- the locations where balls hit fly to (so that they correspond to the image)
- the dimensions of the outfield at nine points - depth and height of wall.

It means that you can get whatever level of customization you want for it - though it'll be a bit time consuming to do 30-odd stadiums to precision detail!

The game looks best when they're oriented similarly to the default image, with home plate at the bottom, and the outfield oriented fairly straight above it, but it does work in other configurations, so just about any image will do.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

I just know the "Green Monster" has got to be a real problem in sims as it is in real life.....[:D]

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Bob, you can import teams or individual players (when using the Lahman database) from any year in major league history. There are also classic parks available (some using real photos). Speaking of photos, there's a good selection of "face packs" available, too. If you get the game, I can help you out in getting all this stuff. [;)]

Here's an example of an optional ballpark pic (Forbes Field, where else? [:D]) :

Attachments
Forbes_day.jpg
Forbes_day.jpg (98.2 KiB) Viewed 114 times
Amaroq

Post by Amaroq »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

I just know the "Green Monster" has got to be a real problem in sims as it is in real life.....[:D]

My (fictional) park has a 300' first-base foul line with a 27' wall, kinda modelled after Pacific Bell/SBC/AT&T Park.

Using PureSim 2006 Beta_1, I signed a left-handed power hitting catcher who had knocked 30+ the previous season... and he really labored to hit home runs - I think he finished the year with 14, all but one of them on the road.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Bob, you can import teams or individual players (when using the Lahman database) from any year in major league history. There are also classic parks available (some using real photos). Speaking of photos, there's a good selection of "face packs" available, too. If you get the game, I can help you out in getting all this stuff. [;)]

Here's an example of an optional ballpark pic (Forbes Field, where else? [:D]) :

Glenn...I really like the looks of that park, and the period "costumes"..Now tell me the shadows move.(LOL)....

captskillet

Post by captskillet »

thats the same Forbes Field pic you get in BBW [;)]
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

My (fictional) park has a 300' first-base foul line with a 27' wall, kinda modelled after Pacific Bell/SBC/AT&T Park.

Using PureSim 2006 Beta_1, I signed a left-handed power hitting catcher who had knocked 30+ the previous season... and he really labored to hit home runs - I think he finished the year with 14, all but one of them on the road.

Amaroq....Is this a field you built yourself?? I take it the game comes with a ballpark creator/editor???

Amaroq

Post by Amaroq »

Yes, that's what I'm saying. There's an in-game ballpark editor - you can go to any team, click "Ball Park", and then from that screen (which shows you the park dimenstions) you can click "Modify Ball Park". You don't even have to be managing the club to edit their field.

You can set outfield depth at 9 points, outfield wall height at 9 points, altitude, and turf type - and yes, if you build a Coors Field, the balls really do carry!

If you're just setting those, its quick and painless - literally less than a minute if you already know the dimensions you want, maybe a little longer if you want to 'play' to get the outline-shape to match your mental image of the park.

You can also configure the animations and background image - the image is trivial, but the animations can be time consuming to get right - not from UI complexity, but because you pretty much have to watch a game or two to make sure they 'feel' right, too.

Amaroq

Post by Amaroq »

Oh, so yeah, it was a field I built myself.
PadresFan104

Post by PadresFan104 »

Here's an example of the kind of tweaking you can do to the PSPNCast Screen with a little bit of work. I used the image Amaroq posted for the game play screen, and overlayed it on a cool B&W photo of Forbes field. Add a little wood grain frame and there you go.

The only work involved after that was getting the player positions moved around and configuring the ball animations. I didn't touch the default window postions at all. The whole process took less than an hour.

I'm using this backdrop for my 1955-1960 Pirates Association. Also, I saved the screenshot as a smaller image to make it easier to view, it's not at actual size...

Al

Attachments
ForbesSM.gif
ForbesSM.gif (134.31 KiB) Viewed 114 times
PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Is there animation of the players as well?

Amaroq

Post by Amaroq »

Not this year. He's not trying to compete with EA's twitch games for graphical glitz and glamour. The animation you get for '06 is the ball flight animation - which I'm on record as saying he couldn't do, in this forum, mere months ago! - towering pop flies tower, fly balls fly, and ground balls hug the ground. They come off the bat at different speeds, so you can really get a sense for a well-hit ball where he might have been robbed of a hit, versus a slow chopper that was an easy play.
Fouts

Post by Fouts »

How difficult is it to match the player pics with the actual players? Do I need to change the number for 1000 pictures each time I start a league?
PadresFan104

Post by PadresFan104 »

ORIGINAL: Fouts

How difficult is it to match the player pics with the actual players? Do I need to change the number for 1000 pictures each time I start a league?

It's really easy actually, and no, you don't need to change the number for any pictures. Just download the pictures into the appropriate folder and the game does the rest. Just make sure to click the box to use player photos when you start the association.

Al
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: PadresFan104

Here's an example of the kind of tweaking you can do to the PSPNCast Screen with a little bit of work. I used the image Amaroq posted for the game play screen, and overlayed it on a cool B&W photo of Forbes field. Add a little wood grain frame and there you go.

The only work involved after that was getting the player positions moved around and configuring the ball animations. I didn't touch the default window postions at all. The whole process took less than an hour.

I'm using this backdrop for my 1955-1960 Pirates Association. Also, I saved the screenshot as a smaller image to make it easier to view, it's not at actual size...

Al

PadresFan104.....I really like the way you set that screen up...Very functional.............

Amaroq

Post by Amaroq »

Agree, Padresfan, I'd been using those big images KG posted as well, but I never thought of 'framing' it like that, and was frustrated when foul balls would wind up underneath the lineup card, for example. That's very pretty!
redeck

Post by redeck »

this example is actually a painting of Pittsburgs Forbes Field if I remember correctly. There are hundreds of very nice Pictures of Ballparks on the Internet to Use.

I love the black and White Photes i use for the 1901 season. you gotta look hard on google or yahoo or ask.com but they can be found
thanks,
Dave
PadresFan104

Post by PadresFan104 »

PadresFan104.....I really like the way you set that screen up...Very functional.............

Thanks, but the secret is that it is the exact same default layout that ships with the game. All I did was change the background picture via the games interface.

I also have a set of stadiums (.prk files) available in the members section of this site, which require all of the windows to be moved around, but lately, I've been liking the default locations better....

Al

Return to “3rd Party Add-ons Area”