Take Command - 2nd Manassas

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JudgeDredd

Take Command - 2nd Manassas

Post by JudgeDredd »

Anyone gave this a go? The demo played out quite nicely. A few things wrong, but overall, I'd say it was a fairtly good tactical game. Camera control is pish poor though (or maybe it's my old hands!) ... just didn't seem "zoomable" enough. You could zoon in OK, but the zoom out was borderline useless.
Alba gu' brath
junk2drive

RE: Take Command - 2nd Manassas

Post by junk2drive »

It is a great game for those who like this kind of game.

For me, ths scale of the battlefield is large and I agree that you cannot view enough of it to keep up with the action.

However it is real time. If you have to hold a spot for one hour and do very well, you will be sitting and staring at nothing for the remainder of time. You cannot speed up time if there is action somewhere on the battlemap.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

My only real issue with TC2M is the restrictive camera.

I understand the official reasoning behind the camera, but IMHO it makes no sense and has a adverse effect on game play.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Have the first game.

Good fun.

Have little interest in the Civil War though.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Sarge

My only real issue with TC2M is the restrictive camera.

I understand the official reasoning behind the camera, but IMHO it makes no sense and has a adverse effect on game play.

I agree - that was my main issue.

As for the sitting and waiting comment...I don't know. I only played the demo and there was enough action there to keep me going.

What I did like, though, was the Courier and getting messages saying General X is having trouble holding your left flank and that he cannot guarantee holding etc...made me feel part of a bigger battle. Nice touch. And, of course, the fact that I didn't have to act (and indeed was unable to) on General Xs behalf.

I may get this one. I'm not a fan of the American Civil war...that is I've never had a game on the theme. But I could become one. I like the idea more than the Napoleonics, I would say.
Alba gu' brath
wodin

Post by wodin »

JudgeDredd,

If your anything like me you will buy it and play it what three times. Goodgae but no real interest in the War means it wont hold you attention.

However its the search to find that wargame that fullfills every level that you want. Im like that.

Ive even played games that I thought finally here we are but in the end something isnt quite right.

CL had the promise. Im goign to start to learn how to programme and then I will programme the damn thing myself.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Absolutely. But it's ok having several games that give a little of each.

I find the same in any game genre to be honest, but more so in strategy games.

Problem is, now, I have so many games installed, I can never make the choice of what I want to play. I did have a couple of each genre installed...that way I could decide what I wanted to play depending on the mood I was in...but now I spend so long looking at all the games, I get lost in the plethora of shortcust and end up playing a game I didn't want to really and so it goes on!

I think I'll do that again....decide what games are my fav of each genre and take the rest off until I'm ready for them.

Cheers wodin....great help m8!
Alba gu' brath
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

I have the first one and I just found it too much of a sit and watch game than really a tactical civil wargame like I'd like to have with an AI that's seemingly as good as the one in the origional and probably this sequel as well. It's really not all that hard to play or understand how to defeat the AI once you understand how the game "scores". And without any multiplayer feature this one sort of dies away pretty quickly unlike Sid Meiers Gettysburg which I can still find challenging matches on gamespy. It's kinda of sad and funny at the same time the most fun I find with this game is just taking an artillery detachment and just watch the AI play itself. But, then again it's a Paradox production and that's the most fun I got out of HOI as well since it was so rediculously unrealistic, I would take some minor like Switzerland and just watch the AI play itself after I just found it too easy or too rediculous to play it with any tenacity.

@Judge

Lol I found myself in that same position several years ago. I have 100's of games of all types and for the most part I can look at one and go "yelch" I already played that. lol I think that's why most released games today don't appeal to me because I already have something like it.

Amazingly when I get in that mood that nothing is appealing, the Out of the Park Baseball series keeps appealing to me. Has lots of statistics and buying and trading for star players to put my Texas Rangers in first place and the world series is a challenge and continous fun for awhile. Then when that gets old a game like Transport Tycoon or Industry Giant II call out and I end up playing more games of these 3 types than I do wargames anymore. I'm hoping Sid Meiers new Railroad Tycoon is better than the last two, though they were ok fun they just weren't very challenging like the origional.

I see a lot of engines for wargames I like, but, they don't have the era of the war I'd like to see them in. Like MM's Civil War engine would be more fun if it were an ancients era with so many different variations of weapons and tactics to use. The civil war had to be the most boring of them all, stand across from each other and fire till one or the other retreats. That's about as bland as a grapefruit without any sugar. Rome Total War was such a disappointment I doubt I will even look at MTW2. Not unless I hear/read they reduced the battle/death speed way down back like it was in the origional MTW.

Matrix games is taking forever releasing anything worth buying as far as I'm concerned. They killed Combat Leader and are starting over (gah). EIA might as well be a hasbeen, cause by the time it's released it will be a hasbeen. The Tin Soldiers series is the only thing I've really cared for. But, even that gets old after just a few games. It needs a RANDOM element badly. It needs a Combat Mission QUICK BATTLES feature badly.

Game design is just in a rut and too repetitive. What we need are some fresh new minds that know how to make a game that is challenging and fun and not a clickfest. And of course once again what we need is a movement away from WWII, Civil War, Naploleon and hypothetical futuristic or cold warfare. Need to move back to sticks and stones and break my bones sort of games. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Ravin;

I agree with you..Sid Meir's Gettysburg was fun...especially in multiplayer.
Monadman

Post by Monadman »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

And without any multiplayer feature this one sort of dies away pretty quickly . . .

I tend to agree.

I supported them and bought the first and second game but will not purchase the third without multiplayer. I’d much rather see a third game with less units and a multiplayer function then a gazillion sprites concentrating on an OOB for yet another famous ACW engagement (been there, done that, got the referenced sources).

Time to move the market before the market moves.

Richard

wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Matrix games is taking forever releasing anything worth buying as far as I'm concerned. They killed Combat Leader and are starting over (gah). EIA might as well be a hasbeen, cause by the time it's released it will be a hasbeen. The Tin Soldiers series is the only thing I've really cared for. But, even that gets old after just a few games. It needs a RANDOM element badly. It needs a Combat Mission QUICK BATTLES feature badly.

I have to agree.

Panther games are the flagship developer for Matrix in my opinion.

Combat Leader is the No1 game Ive been interested in. That is all in the air now and most likely scrapped.

World in FLames is looking good on paper but how will it play?

Luckly MAtrix has the Talonsoft label to make some money on. However they are old games. I want something new.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

It is a great game for those who like this kind of game.

For me, ths scale of the battlefield is large and I agree that you cannot view enough of it to keep up with the action.

However it is real time. If you have to hold a spot for one hour and do very well, you will be sitting and staring at nothing for the remainder of time. You cannot speed up time if there is action somewhere on the battlemap.

The first patch is out. They added a feature to end a battle early if you are winning.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Dunhill_BKK

Post by Dunhill_BKK »

This game is one of the best wargames I've ever played. However, it is a game for grognards, who might like a bit more difficulty than some. I refer to the game as a tactical field simulator.

I don't agree that the camera is limited. You have to use the jump map to quickly move the camera around. Moving the camera hundreds of meters over the battlefield is cool, but there are lots of graphics to resolve so it can be slow with all the trees, smoke guns, and such to draw. And speaking of graphics I upgraded my machine to 2GB just to enjoy all the great graphics. This is a real immersion game, and a really well done one at that.

I would highly recommend it as the designers frequently post on the forums about howm to mod the game and are really working with the community to create the bet game possible. You can't say that about many computer games these days.

Moreover they are working on multiplayer and the strategic level next. This game will be the ultimate in one on one grognard battles when that is done. Mark my words.

One last thing this is the only AI that give my CPU grief in big battles when it is turned up. It is a good bit of programming and regularly hands me my hat after routing my troops.
SwampYankee68

Post by SwampYankee68 »

I have found that the camera does not limit me at all, especially once you begin to use your map to move your "eye" about the battlefield. At max zoom out you can take in everything a division or even more is engaged in. And then you use the map to move from division to division. I like the fact that I cannot have "God's eye view" at all times, it is more challenging.

I'm loving the game right now - but I will admit that I am very interested in the ACW.

If you liked Mier's game you can't help but love this game. Perhaps someday if MadMinute is commercially succesful with their titles they will code in multiplayer, but one cannot fault their support - they have already released one patch. This is not a full time endevour for the designers, but you would not know it from their dedication.

But back to the game play - once you get used to the command delay (couriers take orders to units!) and plan for that, the game starts to give you a very good picture of what commanders faced - seeing a "situation" develop and then trying to get a unit there IN TIME to have an effect. Great stuff, absolutely great...IMHO
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

From reading the dev comments at the official site it doesn't look like multiplayer is going to be in the 3rd rendition either. They keep saying they don't have the time/resources to put that into the game. Here I don't understand this philosophy, they spent 3 years of their off time making the origional (still spending their off time making this one and the next), why not put in another year and build a multiplayer feature that could put them into the status they want of just making wargames (civil war based I guess). It's like they made 1/2 an engine and didn't finish it and sort of expect the gaming consumers to just waller all over it and buy it just because. Now me I like pbem multiplayer and I doubt this type of game will ever fit that bill, but, I'd bet salt to peanuts a multiplayer feature would gain them more sales, prehaps even double them if not more than just a single solo play that pretty much only grogs are going to appreciate right now.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

I have to say that I know very little about the ACW but I purchased this game so that I could dip my toes into this conflict across the Pond. I must admit that I am having a great time with it, I have even had a major victory or two, which had me totally gobsmacked [:D]

I have since purchased Sid Wossnames Gettysburg to run on one of my older PC's, looking forward to playing it later in the year, It's too sunny hhere in Scotland to stay indoors, I believe our summer is going to be a Tuesday this year [:D].

I have not really played Multiplayer yet on any of my Vast Matrix Games collection, the main reason being that I dont want to make an ass of myself, I know I am missing out and one day I will bite the bullet and go for it, but not yet, coz I iz too shy [8|]

With this game being a partime endevour, maybe multiplayer is out of the question because of all the extra support that would be needed to address security issues, bugs and user brainfarts.

I am however enjoying myself [:)]

Cheers

Jevvy
I am really quite mad yoo know!
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

...I believe our summer is going to be a Tuesday this year [:D]...

LMAO at that. I'm Scottish and know exactly what you mean!
Alba gu' brath
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

Summer...............you guys in Scotland dont what summer is...........try Louisiana humidity and 95 on for size[;)] [:D] !
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Ahhh yes Louisiana the land of Swamps and Polk Salad, Crawdead heads and creole gumbo. ;)

Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

Alas, our weather is extremly changable, we are lucky to get a sunny day to last a whole day [:)] I think it was last June when we had a warm morning, followed by rain afternoon and snow in the evening [X(]

Cheers

Jevvy
I am really quite mad yoo know!

Return to “General Discussion”