Toggled Grid?

A brand new campaign-based 3D tactical engine covering combat in World War II, from the developers at Koios Works. The first operation covered is the famous "Wintergewitter" or Winter Storm, a desperate attempt by Hoth's 57th Panzer Korps to break through to the encircled 6th Armee at Stalingrad and the Soviet counter-attack by 2nd Guards Army that drove them back.

Moderator: koiosworks

z1812

Toggled Grid?

Post by z1812 »

Hi All,

Will there be a grid that can be toggled on and off? This was a very useful mod that was made for the CM games. Golfing games use a grid as well to reveal ground contour and elevation.

Regards John
Erik Rutins

RE: Toggled Grid?

Post by Erik Rutins »

John,

There's no underlying grid here, the terrain and elevation is determined in 1 meter increments and everything is calculated in meters based on geometry so the battlefield would look like very small square graph paper if we added a grid of 1m squares. The maps themselves are done in 3D by the Koios artists rather than assembled from tiles.

I suppose someone could modify the maps to add in lines every 50 or 100m or so. I'm not sure what would be involved in that.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Thomm

Post by Thomm »

Bear in mind that the grid in CM was necessary because there was no shading of the terrain (even in CM:AK, where the featureless desert was impossible to be 'read' for me).

With a decent amount of shading, the lay of the land should be fairly obvious.

Attachments
CreteAkrotiri.jpg
CreteAkrotiri.jpg (50.76 KiB) Viewed 206 times
Andreas1968

Post by Andreas1968 »

Whose grass mod are you using?

And is that a screenshot from Panzer Command?

All the best

Andreas
----------------------------
Your Resident Expert on Operation CRUSADER
The Crusader Project
W Thorne

Post by W Thorne »

Ohhh Thomm now you've started something.[;)]
Thomm

Post by Thomm »

ORIGINAL: Andreas1968
Whose grass mod are you using?

[>:]
And is that a screenshot from Panzer Command?

Nope. This is a map from the Crete map pack (by benpark, if I recall correctly) for EYSA.

Best regards,
Thomm
W Thorne

Post by W Thorne »

Nope. This is a map from the Crete map pack (by benpark, if I recall correctly) for EYSA.

Using Thomm's shading detail I believe. Both you guys do great work.
Andreas1968

Post by Andreas1968 »

So, what is the relevance of this map here? Does PC use shading? If so I have not seen it in the screenshots, which currenly look like a white table-top with few if any distinguishing features.

All the best

Andreas
The Crusader Project
Thomm

Post by Thomm »

So, what is the relevance of this map here?

Are you playing it stupid?

I wrote that you do not need a grid if you have decent shading!

So do you consider it a mistake that I was adding a screenshot that (I think) emphasizes my point?!?!

I did not make any reference to EYSA in the original post, if this is your problem!

What exactly IS your problem, by the way [&:]

Best regards,
Thomm

Andreas1968

Post by Andreas1968 »

ORIGINAL: Thomm
So, what is the relevance of this map here?

Are you playing it stupid?

I wrote that you do not need a grid if you have decent shading!

So do you consider it a mistake that I was adding a screenshot that (I think) emphasizes my point?!?!

I did not make any reference to EYSA in the original post, if this is your problem!

What exactly IS your problem, by the way [&:]

Best regards,
Thomm

Oh dear. Got up on the wrong side of the bed, did we? Or can you not handle dealing with Piefkes? Try some of your fine Vienna coffee and remember its Friday. [:D]

1) Now, slowly for the Nussers. [;)] You did not provide info on where that screeny was from. I have never seen EYSA screenshots before. With me so far?

2) Elsewhere I asked about the visibility of ground levels. You posting this screeny here I thought there might be a chance that it actually reflects PC, and not some randomly chosen other game that I have never seen. Still there?

3) So, I asked what the point of this map is in the discussion on visibility in PC. Will PC have a shading system similar to EYSA? Will it not? If it does not have it, what would be the point of presenting how it would look were it to have it? I don't know the answers, that's why I asked. Are we there yet?

Yes we are. Well I am. I now know that a screenshot was shown of another game that may or may not be relevant to the display of elevation levels in PC. [:)]

Have a nice weekend in Vienna.

Alles Gute

Andreas
The Crusader Project
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Please calm down, folks. There's no need to bring any EYSA vs. CM comparisons into this, first of all. Second of all, I think it's important to point out that the vast majority of the battles in Winter Storm were, in fact, fought on terrain that was the equivalent of a table-top. We've pretty much got it right based on historical pictures of the area. There were some rolling areas, some frozen gullies, but by and large it was good tank country - flat and fairly open. The balkas ended up as primarily an operational obstacle that slowed down movement, though they did play a tactical role occasionally. Also, by and large, it was dusted or covered with snow during that time, though there was some occasional rain. We didn't make most the terrain flat because it was easier, we made it flat because it reflects the historical battlefield.

I'll post a few more screenshots with rolling terrain and some frozen gullies in the next batch.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Thomm

Post by Thomm »

(1) Sorry, but "So, what is the relevance of this map here?" simply sounded patronizing to me.

(2) No need to take the discussion to a personal level. Guess you know what I mean with personal.

(3) I hesitate to "promote" games if not asked to, especially because mentioning EYSA triggers unproductive responses in most cases.

(4) Nice weekend wherever you live (I am not going to check your profile).

Best regards,
Thomm

Return to “Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm”