To New Forum Members: Check in Here

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

traderstan

RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here

Post by traderstan »

hi all, my name's stan, a forex trader in singapore. served slightly over 2 years as a combat engineer in an armored battalion. played america's army, command and conquer series and warcraft. DnD for the plain old PencilnPaper RPG. still trying to figure how SPWAW works.
Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

As we all...

Welcome aboard![;)]
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Welcome aboard Stan!

Goblin
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

There's one that makes your computer print money, but we're not gonna tell...

Goblin, you were not supposed to tell.......[:-]

Cyanide

Post by Cyanide »

Hello, everyone. I'm new here (as you can see from my post count) and I'm just getting into wargaming. I'm eating everything I can up about it; hell, I'm even buying a copy of the original Squad Leader board game!

So yeah, as a newbie, I have a couple questions.

1. How do you install campaigns? I'm pretty psyched about the Das Reich campaign I've heard so much about, but I don't know where to unzip the files.

2. How long do PBEM games usually take? I'm one of those guys who likes to be done with a game (board or computer) in a couple days.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Cyanide

Hello, everyone. I'm new here (as you can see from my post count) and I'm just getting into wargaming. I'm eating everything I can up about it; hell, I'm even buying a copy of the original Squad Leader board game!

1. How do you install campaigns? I'm pretty psyched about the Das Reich campaign I've heard so much about, but I don't know where to unzip the files.

2. How long do PBEM games usually take? I'm one of those guys who likes to be done with a game (board or computer) in a couple days.

Sorry, but with a forum name like that, I'll have to decline the invitation for dinner at your place. [X(]
IBTyrone

Post by IBTyrone »

Hi Cyanide and welcome to the forums!

In my experience, Steel Panthers WAW is the pinnacle of wargaming, but I've always been known to be limited in my perspective.[;)] I *do* think you will like it.

To answer your questions--You unzip user created campaigns to the CAMPAIGN directory found in the SPWAW directory. There's already a bunch of campaigns in there that come with the game, but as long as the campaign number you are installing does not interfere with one of the current campaigns, you should be good to go when you go into the game and select the campaigns option after you install it.

To answer your second question--it depends. To clarify, it can depend on the size of the scenario, number of units, and the person you are playing with. Unless you and your opponent are willing to put a lot of time into it, I don't think you will finish in a couple days. You might want to consider trying the playing online option. There are some guys under the "Opponents wanted" section that play regularly. You can talk to them about getting a game set up.

The other thing you might want to consider since you are still learning the ropes to the game is enrolling in The Academy over at The Depot (http://www.spwaw.com). It is a good way to get a handle on the basics of the game with the help of the instructors and a great place to get your questions answered.

Hope this helps.
JEB Davis

Post by JEB Davis »

<<<< snip >>>>>

[:D] ... and I'm one of those guys that agonizes over each turn, I have no hope of finishing a scenario in 1-2 days (especially when you add in that pesky R/L factor).

I had some finagling to do to get SPWaW running on XP with an apparently strange video card, similar to what you saw.

Welcome, you'll like Das Reich when things are in order.
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
jaffa

Hello to all strategic gamers

Post by jaffa »

Gladly, in found out that the genius SteelPathers ist still alive!!!

I´m student, live in germany near Stuttgart and I´m 26. As I always do, I will not telll my real name in forums, hope u don´t mind....

My strategy-game career is quite long now.
The legendary PanzerGeneral was my introduction to round-based WWII games.
I infected my father too at the age of 15 (allthough he nowadays only plays diabloII), he was a crack, so i had to find a new game. I found StP in a SSI gamepack, which i bought because of Alliedgeneral, which wasnt played at all when i tried StP!!

games i also enjoyed were: Suddenstrike, Z (really fast but genius) and Tabletopstuff (Axis&allies first, then Civilisation, Diplomacy(!!!)and ohter AH-stuff i could get in Ger).
I gave my diplomacygame to a Punk and never got it back :(, Furthermore its not sold in Germany,the Netherland and/or Austria,Switzerland :(.
Dipl. is the best game i´ve ever played!!!

Jaffa is my inet-nick, although i use Mabik sometimes.

Last but not least, I enjoy playing StP w/ Seng, who will introduce himself soon, we just played our first 5 scen. to get back into the way of playing StP. We battled us for over 8h through the night ´til 7o´clock in the morning.(thx for the inet-option^^).

THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT STPWAW, we will enjoy it!!!!
Steel Panthers ---- the only really ruling strategy-game
VikingNo2

RE: Hello to all strategic gamers

Post by VikingNo2 »

Hi, welcome aboard, if you want to do some PBEM let me know. Love this game[:D]
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Welcome jaffa (and Cyanide; missed you somehow...). Glad to have you playing and posting!

Goblin
JVega

Post by JVega »

I don't think I've introduced myself yet, sooo...

H'lo! I'm the JVega. I am an 18 years old Icelandic gamergal-type and wannabe history buff. I'm a lifelong newbie when it comes to Steel Panthers, as I can remember playing that when I was too young to realize that what I was playing was a deep wargame; rather than a bunch of objects that moved around, made noises and exploded to my amusement. The only change over the years is that I've learnt is this:

Steel Panthers is not for the kiddies, because they tend to kick my ass in it.

And that's pretty much it. I've gotten better at not being killed by the enemy, at the cost of being much better at killing my own guys with my artillery or one of my "foolproof" plans. As they say, no plan survives first contact. Well, neither do my men.

My playing style: I prefer playing against human opponents with a bit of 'roleplay' involved, if you can call it that. Agreeing on special victory conditions, making small PBEM 'campaigns', agree on that the one that holds a certain place on the map at the end wins (no matter the score)... stuff like that.

I prefer playing small scale stuff. 1000-2000 points, heavy on infantry and elites, with artillery and AFV purely as support. In fact, the two best games I've ever played were firstly a 800 point battle between Norwegian rebels and the Norwegian army (around a small town and the hills around it) and a 1500(ish?) battle between the SS and the Rangers for the contol of a small town and the road leading to it.

Anything above 3000 points means I lose by default. :P

Anyway, that's all. 'lo!
IBTyrone

Post by IBTyrone »

Hey Jvega!

Welcome to the forums. I'm with ya on the small battles. They get too large and I either can't manage the complexity effectively or have no sense of loss when my troops get wasted, like, for example, when one of MY artillery barrages fall short in the midst of my infantry squads (I feel your pain there). [;)]

Again, welcome!
JVega

Post by JVega »

Exactly! I start my turn, and by the end of it, I find myself forgetting what I did first. Assign a huge missile barrage at the beginning of the turn.. then at the end of it, forget about it, and charge the enemy. Two turns later, my assault force has mysteriously dissapeared. Not my fault! :P
IBTyrone

Post by IBTyrone »

Here's a tip--avoid those 1.1 response times like the plague (planes are the worst, BTW). So far as I know, there are three ways to avoid doing this and it is easier for on-board artillery than off-board. The first, and most consistent way for both onboard and offboard artillery is to use preassigned targets. If you place them right, you can usually use any of your artillery (provided they are in contact) with at worst a .5 response time. The second way is to use a Forward Observer for plotting all your strikes. Depending on their experience, they usually have inherent good response times for on-board artillery. The third way, and least effective, is to use the A0 or the commanders of each unit to plot each strike for their section or battery.

Hope this helps.
Zardoz

Post by Zardoz »

Fine....my introduction:

I am from Germany, situated in the Ruhr region an - I assume - quite old for this forum, i. e. > 40. I play SPWAW for some years but mor ore less only against the AI. The core of my interest is the war in Europe.

Hm...married, 3 children and one son (10 years old) is also interested in SPWAW. However, I noticed that it is really complex ime to introduce him since many things I have not to think about...e.g. open fire at which distance with a German 7,5 PaK against a Sherman.. must be explained. So...I play he looks over my shoulder and I tell him why I do certain things and others not.

However, I understand now better how realistic SPWAW is *s*
"No other troops in the world but German paratroops could have stood up to such an ordeal and then gone on fighting with such ferocity" — Field Marshal Alexander.
robot

Post by robot »

Believe me your not to old never too old for spwaw im thinking. I will turn 75 this year and still love the game keeps my mind working so it doesnt go stale on me.[:D][:D]
Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.
IBTyrone

Post by IBTyrone »

Hi Zardoz and welcome to the forums!

As robot pointed out, 40 is hardly too old in this game. Over at the SPWAW Depot, they have ages listed as part of their information whenever you post. I think the average age for the avid enthusiast of SPWAW based on the Depot info is between 30-40 so you fit right in the sweet spot. However, all ages contribute, so age really doesn't matter!

Again, welcome and I hope to see you around.
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

40!!!! Wish I was that YOUNG again!!!! [:D]

I am 56 and there are other guys even more senior than me. SPWAW definitely keeps the mind active.

Dep
Squad Battles
John Tiller's Campaign Series
jaffa

Post by jaffa »

Seems that I´m fresh meat....w/ my 24 ages...but i already played SP when i was 16....
Steel Panthers ---- the only really ruling strategy-game

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”