Opinions on the Firefox Browser?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

KG Erwin

Opinions on the Firefox Browser?

Post by KG Erwin »

Thought I'd try it out as an experiment. Who uses it, and what do you think about it? I use a cable connection, so IE loads pages quickly, and Firefox is just as good, if not better in this respect. Loading my net favorites was painless. At first glance, it works very well.
rogueusmc

RE: Opinions on the Firefox Browser?

Post by rogueusmc »

I like it...it took some getting used to but it's my primary browser now.

Doing my web design, I have noticed that Firefox displays the pages as I designed them. IE changes little things.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

I use Firefox almost exclusively these days. Occasionally I load up Opera (an older favorite), but Firefox really seems perfect to me. IE never gets loaded (at least voluntarily) except to download Microsoft updates (they won't let you use "alien" browsers there).
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
ShermanM4

Post by ShermanM4 »

I like it. [8D] The security features are great, and its natural ability to block pop-ups is good. Though, I can't wait to see what Microsofts next platform will be like. It will probably be better than Mozilla.
"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

Pippin

Post by Pippin »

For many years I kept Netscape because of its security. Seems just about everyone who made fun of me for using it has had their own shares of infections from browsing, so who is laughing now?
Anyhow, I ended up getting firefox a year or two ago, and ran it next to Netscape. Eventualy spyware got smart enough where it would infect netscape almost as bad as IE, so now I stick 100% to firefox, though it has its bugs.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…
Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

Firefox is my main browser now and has been for some time, the only time I use Internet Explorer is when I have to update Winders. I like the tabbed browsing and its updated a lot more often the IE. As for the security aspect, I daresay as it it gets more popular, the Pond Life will target it more often, but so far it's served me well.

Cheers
Garion
I am really quite mad yoo know!
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Thanks for your input. Yeah, it's only a matter of time before the Microsoft Borg assimilates the better Firefox features. In the meantime, Firefox will be my browser of choice.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I use it. Doesnt let me down. One time it was alot faster than IE. Dont know if it still is or not.
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

It shouldn't be faster.... What is probably happening is the IE browser is filled with spyware which could be hogging processes.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

By default, IE is set to run 2 threads. Each thread can run and download one part of the page.

The more threads you have, the more parts of the page you can suck down at once.

This setting can be changed, and then IE performs the same as Firefox or Netscape.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

I suspect Frag is right about that.

However ... the main reason to avoid IE is security, not performance. You can cut out at least 90% of potential security problems by avoiding using two programs: Internet Explorer and Outlook/Outlook Express.

It's not really a technical issue, it's just that the bad guys target the programs which the vast majority of people use.

Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Thanks for your input. Yeah, it's only a matter of time before the Microsoft Borg assimilates the better Firefox features. In the meantime, Firefox will be my browser of choice.

Don´t hold your breath. Next IE version will not incorporate a few of Firefox's main advantages. For example "tabbed browsing". The rendering engine will alos definetly not be the same [;)].

Get Firefox, you won't be dissapointed, check out some of the extensions too. For example "IE View", it will let you switch right to IE, for those lousy coded websites that don´t run in Firefox.

Mouse gestures are a fine thing too.

Firefox is my main browser for a couple of years now. I even use it as mobile browser on my USB stick.
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

My only real problem with firefox is that the up and downpage keys tend to always be buged when browsing. Each version they tweak it one way or another and while it fixes one issue, causes another. I guess it just doesn't like my keyboards.

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Not really off topic: I have AOL as my server, and with each "new and improved" version, it is MUCH harder to access Matrix forums. I only get in 1/4 of the time.. I then learned of Firefox and was able to get in every time, until recently Firefox went to version 1.5, (with built in blockers), and it was giving the same "white screen" as AOL had been causing.
I have the spyware blocker turned off for AOL and it still really SUX !!!!
I have no issues going to any other website...Only this one !!
I recently read that "people who use AOL tend to be less CPU savvy, and it is therefore "dumbed-down" for the least common denominator, and it is my current experience that even with that "blocker" turned off, I feel it is still there, causing me fits.
I have and use Registry Mechanic, and am sure it is helping me with other issues.............

Marc von Martial

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Not really off topic: I have AOL as my server, and with each "new and improved" version, it is MUCH harder to access Matrix forums. I only get in 1/4 of the time.. I then learned of Firefox and was able to get in every time, until recently Firefox went to version 1.5, (with built in blockers), and it was giving the same "white screen" as AOL had been causing.
I have the spyware blocker turned off for AOL and it still really SUX !!!!
I have no issues going to any other website...Only this one !!
I recently read that "people who use AOL tend to be less CPU savvy, and it is therefore "dumbed-down" for the least common denominator, and it is my current experience that even with that "blocker" turned off, I feel it is still there, causing me fits.
I have and use Registry Mechanic, and am sure it is helping me with other issues.............

Number one rule. Do Not Use ISP provided "browsers". Never ever.
Marc von Martial

ORIGINAL: Pippin

My only real problem with firefox is that the up and downpage keys tend to always be buged when browsing. Each version they tweak it one way or another and while it fixes one issue, causes another. I guess it just doesn't like my keyboards.

I never had problems with them. What exactly is the issue?
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

It used to be pressing page-down or page-up key only goes to halfway through the page then it gets stuck in some kind of loop. That has been fixed in the newer version of firefox, but now page-up and page-down keys don't work at all unless i first manualy click on the actual page somewhere with the mouse.
Marc von Martial

Hmm sounds that there is a problem with the "focus" of the browser window.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

I love Firefox
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
sprior

Post by sprior »

Downloaded IE7 last night and using it now. Seems much better than 6, loads faster and maybe it's just me but my PC seems to start faster too. Not sure how MS got round the copyroght laws with this one though...
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Return to “General Discussion”