What's Your worst war movie ever

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

walkerd

RE: What's Your worst war movie ever

Post by walkerd »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn
Sure, I got the humour of the announcements, the Morman colony getting wiped out etc etc, but that wasn't enough of the movie to make this a "brillian" satire. It was a mild political diatribe against militaristic, fascist societies, but that was in line with Heinlein's original novel.

Must be me but I thought Starship Troopers one of the funniest war movies made. I guess it is a case of each to their own but I thought the movie was a comedy and had me laughing through the whole thing.
"Carpe diem" - Seize the day!

"Carpe Cerevisi" - Seize the beer!
Agrippa

Post by Agrippa »

I agree with most of the choises made, with the exception of The Thin Red Line. Poor casting and not as good as the original,but not bad over all.

The worst that comes to my mind, would be Gods and Generals!

Salute
Salute,

Agrippa
String

Post by String »

ORIGINAL: jnier

ORIGINAL: BlackVoid

Thin Red Line
I had to turn it off half-way.

Here we go again...Thin Red Line is my favorite war movie. Different strokes, I guess. BTW, for those of you who liked Thin Red Line, the director (Terrence Malick) has a new movie out about the British colony at Jamestown. Looking forward to seeing it.

HEAR HEAR!!!
Surface combat TF fanboy
RealChuckB

Post by RealChuckB »

ORIGINAL: Agrippa

I agree with most of the choises made, with the exception of The Thin Red Line. Poor casting and not as good as the original,but not bad over all.

The worst that comes to my mind, would be Gods and Generals!

Salute

Very good point - Gods and Generals is really terrible und utterly boring.
While I think that you might be able to "enjoy" most of the bad movies in this list to a certain extend, if you are able not to take them serious and watch them for the eye-candy and/or loud explosions, Gods and Generals will not even allow you to do that. I imagine that if the very strong religious theme is not for you, you'll have one of the longest 230 minutes in your life ...

Chuck
Agrippa

Post by Agrippa »

Well said Chuck!
Salute,

Agrippa
Agrippa

Post by Agrippa »

String,

Have you ever seen Beach Red? It is a Cornell Wilde film released in 1967. If you liked Thin Red Line you should really enjoy this movie! Both movies are based on the same book. There are many similarities between the two. For me, Beach Red is the better of the two, though I enjoyed both.
Salute,

Agrippa
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Two oddball ones I've seen on late night tv recently are completely dreadful but I can't remember what they're called. Both are very old.

The first is about a US soldier who has plastic surgery to look Japanese so as to infiltrate a POW camp and rescue his buddies (or something). Except to simulate that they painted up the actor with bad makeup and had him squint and grimace in every scene. The racist stereotyping of the Japanese has to be seen to be believed (mind you, their prison guards were a pack of low-life scumbags). The star dies heroically to ensure that the others get away because as he explains "I can't get back to America with this hideous Jap face" (or words to that effect).

The other was English and I reckon it was made in the winter of 39/40 because it features a WW1 veteran who has joined up again and is sent to France. It is ludicrous propaganda with a few supposedly hillarious scenes of the old guy trying to come to grips with the new mechanised equipment. Anyhoo, the upshot is that he uses his experience to capture a bunch of incompetent Jerries and apparently the war is going just fine. Except that in real life, in a few months he'd be lucky if he was hauled out of the water onto a fishing trawler at Dunkirk, covered in oil and missing lots of his mates.

Many of the actual wartime war movies were pretty outrageous. I find it hard to believe that even in their day they weren't considered so by combatants on leave etc... Good fun now though.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Puukkoo

Post by Puukkoo »

I have not seen many of the propaganda films, but some of them are... hmmh... interesting?

Finnish wartime movie "Ryhmy and Romppainen" was banned in Germany because it presented the German minor allies in too unmilitary fashion.

And remember, for the fans of poor/interesting war films there are some good ones by Klaus Kinski too.
Don't be shocked, I AM funny.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

" Very good point - Gods and Generals is really terrible und utterly boring.
While I think that you might be able to "enjoy" most of the bad movies in this list to a certain extend, if you are able not to take them serious and watch them for the eye-candy and/or loud explosions, Gods and Generals will not even allow you to do that. I imagine that if the very strong religious theme is not for you, you'll have one of the longest 230 minutes in your life ...

Chuck"

Except for this guy who grew up in tidewater Virginia. When I watch it I feel comforted by the Virginia accents. They actually did a pretty good job there...
fair winds,
Brad
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

I imagine that if the very strong religious theme is not for you, you'll have one of the longest 230 minutes in your life ...

That was quite right...
Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…
Error in 0

Post by Error in 0 »

Propaganda movies are still very real. Many war-movies today are made in corporation with the military (which is economically great since they get very good access to equipment and cheap labor). However, they demand the right to censor the manuscript which basically makes it propaganda. And many many claim all these movies are just plain bad (the censorchip makes them singleminded and bad). What do you think? Films like Apocalypse Now was certainly not a product of US military. I guess Pearl Harbour and U-571 was? [:)] What about Blackhawk down?

My opinion is slightly divided. Sometimes I like some braindead action which shows the newest and latest in weapon tech., and a good feeling to "bash the evil bastards", but for most parts I just find these films pathetic. For example justifying changing historical facts (like U-571) with vage economical reasonings I find unethical and sad.

JT

BTW: I got Sniper and Sniper 3. Have anyone seen Sniper 2? Is it to recommend? I found Sniper 3 to be better that feared..
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Blackhawk Down was made in very close cooperation with the US Army. On the small screen, the now-defunct TV show JAG was also very close to the military.

It makes sense for the US military to maintain friendly relations with Hollywood. Great recruiting tool...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
String

Post by String »

ORIGINAL: Agrippa

String,

Have you ever seen Beach Red? It is a Cornell Wilde film released in 1967. If you liked Thin Red Line you should really enjoy this movie! Both movies are based on the same book. There are many similarities between the two. For me, Beach Red is the better of the two, though I enjoyed both.

No, I haven't. I also have NO idea how I'd be able to see it. I'm pretty sure it's not available in video stores in Estonia [;)]

Perhaps I'm lucky and they'll show it on TCM and I'll stumble upon it?
Surface combat TF fanboy
Agrippa

Post by Agrippa »

I have seen it on TCM before, and it's also out on DVD.
Salute,

Agrippa
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

My 2 cents on BlackHack Down. Thumbs down. Had I been a typical viewer I assume I may have thought it worth while. Unfortunately I had done some studying on the case BEFORE the movie came out. Thus I could not help but take notice how many things were edited and changed. Yes the US amry was made to look smarter than they had been (even though it is aparent they had thier moments of confusion). I heard people claim the movie was not biased between the two sides... well this has me quite confused. In the end, it is Hollywood so any educated man knows ahead of time what he is in for. With all its changes from the norm, at least it wasn't a repeat of u-571.

Oh, BTW if anyone wonders about the begining of the movie where the soldier fell off the helicopter and was the first casualty... Yes, he was the first casualty. What the movie changed was that in real life he just, FELL off the helicopter. Of course they had to spice it up, so the actual scene you see is a RPG flying towards the helicopter (never happened)... and due to quick reaction by our super alert american pilots, the helicopter was instantly maneuvered and.... maybe it was a 1000 to 1 shot but it worked, the rpg missed colliding with the Heli. Unfortuantly the solder lost his balance during the maneuvr and fell.

I guess realism doesnt sell enough for the american audience, or the US Forces didn't want any of their men to look TOO foolish. A viewer has to take these movies with a grain of sault.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

I thought Blackhawk Down was unrealistic bollocks. I'm not an expert but I did time in the military and have been on quite a few combat exercises.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Raverdave

Post by Raverdave »

In no real order:-

Force 10 from Navarone
The Green Berets (John Wayne)
U-571
Pearl Harbour (Mind you the battle of Brittan scenes were great)
Wind Talkers[8|]

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

Heresy! You can't have a John Wayne film on the list! Heresy!

(I didn't find it that bad.... not overly realistic, but not too far out of tune with other "made during the war" type films).
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

ORIGINAL: Sarge

Well....... I will save my vote for the Battle of Britain staring Tom Cruise [8|]. Think its due out sometime in 05.

Oh my god Tom Cruise and quality movies are like oil and Water
Agrippa

Post by Agrippa »

Blackhawk Down one of the worst…??? I wonder if there are any movies that meet your high standards. For me Blackhawk Down is one of my top five. They may not get every detail correct, but the positives far out weigh the negatives. Very few films do a better job of showing soldiers as individuals instead of stereo types.
Salute,

Agrippa

Return to “General Discussion”