Problem with SPWAW

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
Craft

Problem with SPWAW

Post by Craft »

Hi I just joined, but I have chercked all the help files here in the forum about SPWAW. What happens is the game crashes when I try to start it. If I start it using Mech.exe it gives me this error:
szAppName : mech.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : hungapp
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

and all I get is a black blank screen with a thin bue line where the Taskbar is located. If I try to run the game from the Icon it provides I get :
AppName: spwaw.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: spwaw.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00001bda

Can anyone help me out, I played SP III, but for some reason I cannot play it on my new computer, graphics problem or something. So I hope some one can help me with this game. Thanks
RBWhite

RE: Problem with SPWAW

Post by RBWhite »

Welcome Craft

First, it's best to start SPWAW with the mech.exe.

Generally black screen is caused by a system resources problem. SPWAW is what you would call a resources hog, it will attempt to use all available system resourses and I think sometimes it tries to steal memory from other programs[:D]

Try shutting down any programs running in the background, virus scan, adware, spyware & any other internet security program before running SPWAW.

How much memmory do you have?
Craft

Post by Craft »

tried starting with Mech.exe, no go. shutdown all TSR programs, and I have 640meg to 1 gig mem.

Also my OS is XP and the system is 1.8GHz
RBWhite

Post by RBWhite »

Craft

It's posible your download is corrupted. Try downloading it again but maybe from a differant site.

Uninstall the exsiting SPWAW and manually remove what is left on your hard drive if anything & reinstall
Craft

Post by Craft »

Thanks will do, :)

Just checked, my original download was 435 meg and the newe download is 425 meg ??? Something large has been added or removed.
Craft

Post by Craft »

I downloaded SPWAW again using a different site and it is still doing the same thing, any Ideas? I have to correct the previous post the 435 Megs is the same.
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

Make sure all your dirvers and DirectX are/is up to date.
RBWhite

Post by RBWhite »

Craft

I must admit you have one I have not seen before.

I agree with Mark, you should have Directx 9.0c , which I believe is still the current version. You can get it at Microsoft.com, just type Directx into the searh box.

Also, make sure you have all of the current Win XP updates.
Craft

Post by Craft »

I have downloaded and updated my drivers and Direct X, what happens is the screen flickers black, grey, dark grey and freezes on Black. it says no response for the game on the Ctrl, Alt Del screen. Any Ideas??
Thanks
RBWhite

Post by RBWhite »

Craft

Okay, something differant, I hope thats a good sign.

Your video, is it AGP onboard, AGP card or a PCI card, also do you know the manufacture of your motherboard & Chipset. You may need to update the chipsets INF settings.
Craft

Post by Craft »

ORIGINAL: RBWhite

Craft

Okay, something differant, I hope thats a good sign.

Your video, is it AGP onboard, AGP card or a PCI card, also do you know the manufacture of your motherboard & Chipset. You may need to update the chipsets INF settings.

I am not certain, updated Chipset thou.
RBWhite

Post by RBWhite »

Craft

If you go into All Programs & select Accessories, then System tools then select System Information, under Tools at the top select DirectX Diagnostic Tools. You will get a screen that will run a test of all your DirectX functions & may tell you what the problem is.
Craft

Post by Craft »

Found the problem, Direct3D the acelleration was disabled, works great now :). Thanks :)
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Craft

Found the problem, Direct3D the acelleration was disabled, works great now :). Thanks :)

Great. I added this to the SPWaW Technical Issues Sticky at the SPWaW forum. Thanks for providing the solution to this problem. [&o]
RBWhite

Post by RBWhite »

Craft

No problem glad I could help you out in the Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers Forum[:)]

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”